LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

just got 2 obx any 4X4 beaches u would recomend??

Old 09-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
myfirst06taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
myfirst06taco's Tacoma Gallery
just got 2 obx any 4X4 beaches u would recomend??

We just got 2 obx does anyone suggest some 4X4 beaches close 2 duck . Its my first time driving on the beach , I do have a good compressor 4 air up.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
zombiekiller is on a distinguished road
zombiekiller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirst06taco View Post
We just got 2 obx does anyone suggest some 4X4 beaches close 2 duck . Its my first time driving on the beach , I do have a good compressor 4 air up.
go north to carova. stay out of the dunes. dont chase the horses. do buy a fishing permit. don't leave trash, take it with you.

also, park in the middle of the beach and keep your eye on the tide. if you stay all day, you will need to move it.

watch your speed and enjoy.

perhaps even go buy a tshirt at the carova FD and support the time, effort and care that they take in helping to maintain the last wild herd of horses on the east coast.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Daudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Daudio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
go north to carova. stay out of the dunes. dont chase the horses. do buy a fishing permit. don't leave trash, take it with you.

also, park in the middle of the beach and keep your eye on the tide. if you stay all day, you will need to move it.

watch your speed and enjoy.

perhaps even go buy a tshirt at the carova FD and support the time, effort and care that they take in helping to maintain the last wild herd of horses on the east coast.
U sure about that being the only wild horses? I been here before http://www.assateagueisland.com/ and there were a bunch of horses runnin around. Maybe different kind of horses, dont know much about it.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
U sure about that being the only wild horses? I been here before http://www.assateagueisland.com/ and there were a bunch of horses runnin around. Maybe different kind of horses, dont know much about it.
assateague horses are herded. they are penned, etc etc etc etc.

the horses in carova just sort of roam around. the only reason they get tranqed is to be given shorts.

when we go down to our house in carova, the horses are always munching on dune grass underneath our deck at 7am.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Daudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaudio is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Daudio's Tacoma Gallery
^ wow, I think a horse outside my door at 7am would freak me out!!!

That's cool though
Old 09-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
assateague horses are herded. they are penned, etc etc etc etc.

the horses in carova just sort of roam around. the only reason they get tranqed is to be given shorts.

when we go down to our house in carova, the horses are always munching on dune grass underneath our deck at 7am.
thats awsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
^ wow, I think a horse outside my door at 7am would freak me out!!!

That's cool though
what do you have outside your door in north jersey a bear?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if you go north up from duck to corolla, the paved road ends and goes straight onto the beach. you can drive up into VA from there. miles of beach road to drive on.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
if you go north up from duck to corolla, the paved road ends and goes straight onto the beach. you can drive up into VA from there. miles of beach road to drive on.
That's carova. And no, you cannot drive to Virginia from there. There is a military installation and nesting grounds just north of where the beach is blocked.

It is a little under 10 milesof beach driving.

Remember , stay out of the dunes. Only use the beach or defined sand roads.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That's carova. And no, you cannot drive to Virginia from there. There is a military installation and nesting grounds just north of where the beach is blocked.

It is a little under 10 milesof beach driving.

Remember , stay out of the dunes. Only use the beach or defined sand roads.
ummm...i've driven north of corolla twice in the past 3 years, including all the way to the virginia line. must be a recent thing if it's blocked.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ummm...i've driven north of corolla twice in the past 3 years, including all the way to the virginia line. must be a recent thing if it's blocked.
You can drive to the line but there are 12 foot tall pylons across the beach spaced too close together to drive through them. I saw them last fall. We own a house in carova but last year was the first time I've driven that far up the beach since we bought the house.

You know the pylons to your right when you drive on? Same thing at the other end.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #11

Quote:
You can drive to the line but there are 12 foot tall pylons across the beach spaced too close together to drive through them. I saw them last fall. We own a house in carova but last year was the first time I've driven that far up the beach since we bought the house.

You know the pylons to your right when you drive on? Same thing at the other end.
i drove there last June and never saw any pylons...weird. I did see the horses again though. when i came up from corolla, they were on the dunes to the left. when i came back down there was a pair of them in the surf.