Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

nOOb off roader questions.....

Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Not bothered....
crazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: and Army - 12 yrs total
Name: Chris
crazyman's Tacoma Gallery
nOOb off roader questions.....

I'm about to purchase a new Taco 4x4.
I've never had a 4x4 of my own, always ridden in someone elses. Always had a blast. Definitely looking forward to some trail riding. Nothing extreme (yet).

I got to thinking though, like I do......

I know it's a truck. Use it like one. Been there. Done that.
Thing is, I like to keep my stuff looking good. Not show quality. Just in good shape.

Do you folks with these expensive trucks worry at all about scratching and damaging your rides ?

I must admit, for spending a LOT of money on a nice truck, I'm a little hesitant to do what I've seen some folks do with their trucks.
I've got no issues treading lightly. Getting dirty is not an issue at all.
Just a little nervous about 'pinstripes' and 'rashes'

How do you deal with it ?

Thanks again for all the help.
This site is great !
Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
You won't be as worried about the pinstripes and shit once you get em.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
You're going to get scratches/carnage no matter how "lightly" you tread. . . Just gotta get over it. Just stay out of mud lol.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The 1st boo boo's are the worst...after that it just seems like a right of passage and a cool story
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I use mguires ultimate compound.
On a black truck, it works quite well. It's like a rubbing compound/wax all in one.
I'm the same way. I dont need a show quality shine but I do like to have my stuff look nice.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
1. Get sliders before you do any offroading. Not steps, sliders, prefferably with kickouts.

2. Dont drive through areas where branches will give you redneck pinstripes on purpose. Lots of work to get them out.

3. Expect a smashed crossover pipe, exhaust tip, and scratched bumpers. All these get replaced with aftermarket products and the exhaust chopped after the axle anyway. DOnt sweat the bumper scratches.

4. Get skids when you can afford them... good ones.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
Another tip-buy a white tacoma. It won't show the scratches or dents nearly as bad. If I had a black truck, right now it would look like a damn zebra with all the brush I have to drive through. Buy a little armor for the truck and wheel it.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's just the cost of doing business. At first they sting a bit, then they become the badges that set your rig apart from the mall-crawlers.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Off Road TRD for the advanced traction systems in 4WD. The brush pin stripes can mostly all come out with a detail wash/polish... mine did... I do have a Silver Taco, so that (like white) doesn't show the scratches so much... Enjoy the truck, don't baby it!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember chicks dig body damage.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Just remember chicks dig body damage.
I'm excited just thinking about it. Haha.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
Not bothered....
crazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In that case, I'm going to get a lot of attention.
My body has all sorts of damage.

Oh, you meant the truck body. Ummmmm, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
In that case, I'm going to get a lot of attention.
My body has all sorts of damage.

Oh, you meant the truck body. Ummmmm, we'll just have to wait and see.
Take your time, pay CLOSE attention to where you're driving and where the truck is. In most hard packed offroad situations, drive slow & in 4lo. Momentum can be your friend in other situations, just use common sense and make the right decisions. Don't be RAMBO on the trails - you're only asking for trouble.

Don't go offroad alone!!!! Have another vehicle & buddy with you. If you reach areas that you're unsure of...have your buddy 'spot' for you.
*Spotting* is very important. The Spotter (your buddy) will be in the front of the truck telling you where to drive and steer over obstacles to help protect you & your truck from harm/damage. Because afterall....you can't see everything while you're in the drivers seat. The Spotter helps see things for you.

Eventually....if you enjoy offroading enough, you'll get to a point where you just can't go much farther in terms of technical or more extreme trails. If this is your daily driver truck - you need to be cautious so you can drive it to work on Monday. At that point....you'll probably start thinking about getting another vehicle *trail rig* that you can beat the piss out of and still have your truck safe in the driveway to get you to work on Monday.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
Not bothered....

Thanks for the insights.

I think if I found myself really getting into wheeling, I would consider a 'trail rig' and not use my daily driver.

Lookin' forward to gettin' my Taco next month !
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I'm about to purchase a new Taco 4x4.
I've never had a 4x4 of my own, always ridden in someone elses. Always had a blast. Definitely looking forward to some trail riding. Nothing extreme (yet).

I got to thinking though, like I do......

I know it's a truck. Use it like one. Been there. Done that.
Thing is, I like to keep my stuff looking good. Not show quality. Just in good shape.

Do you folks with these expensive trucks worry at all about scratching and damaging your rides ?

I must admit, for spending a LOT of money on a nice truck, I'm a little hesitant to do what I've seen some folks do with their trucks.
I've got no issues treading lightly. Getting dirty is not an issue at all.
Just a little nervous about 'pinstripes' and 'rashes'

How do you deal with it ?

Thanks again for all the help.
This site is great !
Just noticed you have "PreRunner" in your profile. FYI- A "Pre" is NOT a 4X4.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Fail!!!
Um, how is that a fail? I am just making sure he gets the right truck and knows the difference between the two.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Not bothered....

I know the difference.

I started another thread about whether or not to buy the 4x4.

Going with the 4x4 after all.

I shall change my profile this instant........
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I wheel my baby pretty hard. I've had the luxury of learning how to wheel with my 4 previous rigs over the last 10+ years; all added together they are worth about as much as the Taco.

My previous rigs were intended just for wheeling (Jeeps) and I had decided that sacrificing the body was just part of the fun; and it really is fun once you decide the body no longer maters. Hell, on the CJ5 I had cutoff 50% of the boday myself for clearance. BUT the Taco is going to stay pristine for a long time.....

I do have a couple of pinstripes and a few small buff marks on the bumpers but nothing bad. Since my truck is white all of the stripes buff out pretty easy and I have touch up paint for the front bumper. Having sliders is key for preventing those big dents on the rocker panel, no other way around that if you really wheel.

My advice, keep it slow, use a spotter (tell them damage is unacceptable), get out and look whenever possible. IMO it's ok to modify the trail for your rig to get through (stack rocks etc) but make sure to remove your trail modification after you pass. Keep a pair of loppers and a bowsaw in your rig to trim back the trail when feaseable (for 1"+ stobbs etc).

You don't have to F up your rig to wheel. You just might have to pass on some things to save your truck.

Once I hit 250,000 miles, I'll let the fun begin: chop the rear panels, maybe a straigt axle, possible bed bob, etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Common sense. If you don't have any, learn some. Don't floor it up anything because you will damage something. Don't take extreme trails in a stock truck. Etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Since I didn't see anyone mention it, TAKE OFF YOUR MUD FLAPS & put them away if offroading...

These seem to be the first casualties of carnage when offroad.