1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Desert Build Questions/Openions

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by eodrunner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    eodrunner

eodrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    Okay I have a few questions that I'd like some various openions on. With the openions please give a reason why you have that. Then I can take on your openion, or dismiss it like the wind. Nah, but seriously...

I'm going to start building a desert runner truck that will eventually be raceable and what I'd like to get your openions on are...

1) What year Tacoma would you start with?

I hear a lot of talk about the first gen tacomas having stronger frames and that is a huge advantage if it's significantly stronger than 2nd gens. What other reasons are there for or against any specific or genral year/gens?

2) What would you look for in a used truck that was intended for this?

I'm leaning towards finding one that has the type of front long travel I want. Don't care about the rear because the combo I'm looking for probably won't be out there. Fully caged would be nice, with or without any long travel. Lots of work would already be done.

3) Auto or Manual?

This is one of my biggest up in the airs I think. At first I was dead set on a manual, but the more I look at videos and others builds, and just think about it, a beefed up auto might be clutch.

4) What else am I missing?

I just did the big things that are in my head, anyone else have suggestions of things to look for?

2. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    first gens are lighter and have been around longer so it may be easier to buy parts for them.
    what i would look for is low miles and you may be able to find something used that already has some work done to it.
    you cant find a first gen double cab in manual, but a double cab is also heavier. you can give a few different people like level 10 upgrades a call and they can help you build an automatic tranny. and one of the lt guys will chime in here sooner or later to help you out with anything else.

Also you spelt opinion wrong ha ha.

3. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    If your looking for a race able rig then I would say 1st gen. Not from performance aspect but more financial. With the money saved by going first gen more can go into the after market parts. Yes something could be more likely to go on an older vehicle but if you have the skill to fab such a ride then I'm sure you can handle it.

Also if you can find one that's already built or somewhat built then you will definitely save some more dough but obviously make sure it's built properly and no shortcuts were taken.

4. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:46 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Do you have 20 to 40 grand to spend on prep and repairs once the truck is built? Because if you don't then your wasting your time even buying a race truck in the first place.

Rule number one is things will break. Lots of things. Lots of expensive things. I don't know of any of us LT guys who haven't broken something in the course of recreational offroading. Racing is an enormous jump up from that.

5. Sep 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    years of experience IN the desert or short course racing scene...

try to get as much experience as a chase truck before you jump in a race truck...

if you don't know how to build it, you won't know hot to fix it, and likely shouldn't be racing it...

and as stated above, its serious money... a recreational LT truck will cost you $10,000 in basic suspension plus the truck... tack on an additional $7,000 for a chase truck... then figure another $15,000 for something race-ish... then figure to keep $10,000 in reserve for repairs, maintenance, and spare parts...

oh, and don't forget the budget for tools, tow vehicle, trailer, and race suits/safety gear...

then marketing budget for race entry fees (upwards of $3,000 per race)

and unless you got some really reliable, loyal buddies with chase trucks, you will need to invest on a dedicated chase truck... so figure one more truck with about $15,000 to $17,000 dropped into it...

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    eodrunner

eodrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    I'm fully prepared for the cost of this. I'm not expecting to come into it with 15 or 20gs into one truck and expect to not spend anymore money. I've got a ton to learn and am more than willing to do so. Also I'm expecting to just jump straight into a racing scene and get some. I understand if some people read my post and think, "fuck, another person jumping on the band wagon who doesn't know shit." I've thought that about many persons in various jobs, sports, interests that I'm heavily into. I'm not one like that.Long term is what I'm thinking. I'd like to start off building a truck the right way though. First building, as you all have stated, a chase truck for two reasons. First is to get used to the difference in the type of driving/racing I've done before. Second, to have just that, a chase truck.When I get back to the states I'm expecting to know much more than I know now, but overal to know nothing. And thus I'd like to use these forums to meet up with those persons who are into this sport and "tag" along and help with what knowledge I do have, and in return learn from what knowledge you all have.My intention for this topic was to get a general idea on what people are using and what a good place to start is. Cost wise I am looking at a first gen for sure. Overall, everyones got to start somewhere, so here I am.

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    in that case, definitely look into a 1st gen xcab prerunner... with a TRD locker would be an added bonus, but you likely won't need the locker... its still nice to have...

for the front LT, there are a lot of options out there... just a matter of shopping around for which one you want...

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Just as something to consider, the Total Chaos reg cab had a 4.0 swap into it and it's a little beast. Short wheel base, lighter, just badass. Throw a TRD or better yet URD supercharger with a Mark III kit and tuned up with full front/rear LT... that'd be freak'n sick and pretty rare. Parts for second gens are a bit more expensive, but the second gens are overall nicer if you're planning to DD it at all too. Just a combo to contemplate, overall 1st gen is probably the wisest choice.

As for stick vs auto... for flat out racing in the desert I'd go manual all the way. For the slow speed rock/crawling/climbing ect... auto's better in my book as you have easier control without worring about stalling on slow speeds. Balls to the wall... just have a good clutch, short shifter, and enjoy the hell out of it. My $0.02.

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i dont think race trucks can have forced induction unless its the all out classes, i think most of them have to be naturally aspirated. maybe mikesdoublecab can clear that up if im wrong?

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I think that entirely depends on what class and specific rules/regs per class. It is a valid point though to check into the regs before you build for the classes you want to compete in.

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    A stock 4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma can go anywhere that any other stock or even many modified vehicles can go... I prefer an automatic tranny, less slipping, easier to negotiate crawl trails, easier in the sand. The A-TRAC provides the traction of front and rear lockers, so no need for after-market, expensive lockers. If you find a road that the Tacoma cannot drive, then I would be surprised if any other street legal 4WD could.

Products Discussed in

To Top