Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off roading in snow, which tires work best?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Rather be wheeling
trdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Daniel
trdDANIEL's Tacoma Gallery
Off roading in snow, which tires work best?

So far my discover stt tires worked the best so im planning on buying 33" by 12 any experience with others??
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
Here in the Colorado Mountains I always put studded snow tires on all my vehicles so I can get to the chairlift first thing (and sometimes before the snow plows). I have yet to get some for my Taco but am curious as to others experiences as well. I swear by studs on the passes. Stops like hockey skates!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Get some of the Toyo or Brigestone "SNOW TIRES". They are super siped, and work awesome. I wish they would make them in bigger sizes though.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Rather be wheeling
trdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of lighttrdDANIEL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbeliever View Post
Here in the Colorado Mountains I always put studded snow tires on all my vehicles so I can get to the chairlift first thing (and sometimes before the snow plows). I have yet to get some for my Taco but am curious as to others experiences as well. I swear by studs on the passes. Stops like hockey skates!

Yea thanks I live in the sierra mountains and have gone through a lot of intense wheeling with the stt cooper tires never have tried studded though
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Rather be wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Get some of the Toyo or Brigestone "SNOW TIRES". They are super siped, and work awesome. I wish they would make them in bigger sizes though.
Yea idk if I want those small tires they might look funny with my lift haha but so far i have out wheeled a couple of my friends with micky thompsons and bf goodwrench with my cooper stt's so I might stick with these ones for now. Thank you for the reply
Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdDANIEL View Post
Yea idk if I want those small tires they might look funny with my lift haha but so far i have out wheeled a couple of my friends with micky thompsons and bf goodwrench with my cooper stt's so I might stick with these ones for now. Thank you for the reply
I think you can get the toyos in a 285/75R16.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
A good mudder, like the STT, is great for snow. The only drawback with a mudder is in icy situations, less rubber in contact with the surface.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
BFG rugged trail FTW!

but seriously my BFG ATs do pretty well in the MN winters.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Rather be wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post

h
Here's a pic from last winter. Duratracs pulled good through a foot plus of snow.
Nice dude thanks for the reply nice truck I just put up pics for mine
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
Ok I am building my truck up just for snow, so far I have used BFG AT & Rugged Trail, MIckey Thompson Mud & Snow, and had friends with various others like the leschwab brand. For my personal experience in the deep stuff I have found that the Mickey Thompsons are bar far the best when aired down to about 8-15 PSI. I go out in boca, kirkwood back country, over the passes and I am fine. We have even used them at yellowstone and in wyoming hunting, and yes the little taco was the truck of choice to pull out every one!! Even the FJ lol ( made me happy )The only time I have to air down is when I hit the snow mobile trails or the lake! HOWEVER!!!!

When it comes to driving on the highway in icy conditions, the BFG All Terrain tires are AWESOME!! You dont have to change any psi, just run them as is with a little caution and your fine! I fill them with nitrogen because I keep the psi the same. I actually liked that combo so much that I run the at in the summer and early winter and then when its time for the deep stuff I go to the MT tires. I will be posting some pics but in my profile the picture of me at boca with my huskies is with the BFG at tires. That day it was 8-12 Inches deep but the road was covered in a sheet of ice and I had almost NO issues. They dont plow boca roads so its kind of a go at your own risk kind of place.

I also want to point out that of all the tires I have used, and friends have used the best ones for road noise > performance > and longevity have to be the MT Tires for mud and snow and the nitto terra grapplers for all around. They are just so much money!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on the type of snow from my experience. But I like agressive mud terrains in the snow. The old style BFG MTs did great in the snow, not sure how the new KM2s will run in snow- the tread is really open and doesnt have sharp edges or much of an interlocking pattern to hold snow in but i'll find out in a couple months I guess.
I bet the Duratracs do well- they're open enough to dig, but have the tighter center to lock in some snow as well. Snow on snow gives more traction than rubber on snow in certain conditions, then there is the slushy/crusty snow where the big lugs let you dig and churn through so they might be the best of both.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
Ok I am building my truck up just for snow, so far I have used BFG AT & Rugged Trail, MIckey Thompson Mud & Snow, and had friends with various others like the leschwab brand. For my personal experience in the deep stuff I have found that the Mickey Thompsons are bar far the best when aired down to about 8-15 PSI. I go out in boca, kirkwood back country, over the passes and I am fine. We have even used them at yellowstone and in wyoming hunting, and yes the little taco was the truck of choice to pull out every one!! Even the FJ lol ( made me happy )The only time I have to air down is when I hit the snow mobile trails or the lake! HOWEVER!!!!

When it comes to driving on the highway in icy conditions, the BFG All Terrain tires are AWESOME!! You dont have to change any psi, just run them as is with a little caution and your fine! I fill them with nitrogen because I keep the psi the same. I actually liked that combo so much that I run the at in the summer and early winter and then when its time for the deep stuff I go to the MT tires. I will be posting some pics but in my profile the picture of me at boca with my huskies is with the BFG at tires. That day it was 8-12 Inches deep but the road was covered in a sheet of ice and I had almost NO issues. They dont plow boca roads so its kind of a go at your own risk kind of place.

I also want to point out that of all the tires I have used, and friends have used the best ones for road noise > performance > and longevity have to be the MT Tires for mud and snow and the nitto terra grapplers for all around. They are just so much money!
you might want to just trade the taco in for one of these or just get the tracks
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
you might want to just trade the taco in for one of these or just get the tracks
The only thing I would trade this taco for is about 6 more huskies, then I could really go ANYWHERE! lol or jessica alba... ya jessica alba !!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
dam i did not post the pic of what you should trade it in for
here it is
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
Expedition Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
just get some of these and stuff em in there.

Thats actually the same truck ( not literally just the model ) that I had before the taco!! Those things are bullet proof! But the huskies still win!

Oh and that snow coach is pretty sweet, wonder what kind of gas mileage he gets on the highway, 30 - 40?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #19
Rather be wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post

That looks like my house last winter haha! Awesome dude thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I bought the duratracs in hope they do great in the winter. Granted that we haven't had much of a winter these last few years, but still, one day winter will be back.

Rating wise (whatever that means since they rate their own tires), the Duratracs are supposed to do very well in snow and ice, but I guess I'll find out in a few months or so (hopefully).