Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Can you offRoad with out 4x4?!?!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
FullyLoaded is on a distinguished road
Name: BallerRulies
FullyLoaded's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Can you offRoad with out 4x4?!?!

i have a toyata tacoma pre runner v6 trd off road it is lifted and has off roading tires can i still off road even if i don have 4x4?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yes but you will be limited in what you can do.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
two words... LONG TRAVEL
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...abilities.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-pictures.html

Yes sir
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyLoaded View Post
i have a toyata tacoma pre runner v6 trd off road it is lifted and has off roading tires can i still off road even if i don have 4x4?

Yes, you can take your truck offroad. When you do, be sure to take some pics.

BTW, welcome to TW
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
you sure as hell can't. don't even think about going on a dirt road with that thing.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Of course you can... Remember, off road racing is done 95% with 2WD vehicles! They use speed and horsepower to get through poor traction situations (deep sand, silt, steep grades)... They have suspension that prevents or reduces damage to their race cars, from driving at speed over bad areas.

What you need to know is, you can break something because you needed to have momentum to climb or cross something. 4WD allows you to go slow and use the traction of 4WD to bring your vehicle over or through a bad spot.

Also, air pressure in your tires is key to improving your traction (2WD or 4WD)... If you get stuck (in sand for example), dropping the tire pressure to 10-15 psi will allow you to drive out... Just have an air pump on board.

Go with a buddy 4x4 owner on your first poor traction run with your 2WD... and have a tow strap! Oh, and stay away from mud or deep water!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Oh, and stay away from mud or deep water!
.... and deep sand....

i agree with that. i used to have a lifted 2wd silverado and i was able to get into almost anywhere, but i couldnt always get out. i cant tell you how many times i had to dig myself out of a hole
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Sand I don't worry so much about... it is clean and dry if you have to dig out (if you were dumb enough to spin the tires and get burried). MUD (water) is different... if you get stuck in there, you are in trouble!

Deep sand driving is done more with air pressure than 4WD... It is less about traction and more about floatation.

In this photo, I was in 4WD... the dug in tracks are at 32 psi (where I was struggling to keep from going into the water as the truck was slipping sideways down the steep beach). Then, after dropping the pressure to 15 psi, I floated out... with ease.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewboto View Post
Just bring a buddy, phone and common sense
That is the big thing. Dont feel like just because someone else does something that you have to. If you are not comfortable doing something in your truck, dont do it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never owned a 4x4 and ive always gone wheeling.
rule numba 1. dont go alone.

at least untill you are comfortable in your rig and know its limits.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Ive never owned a 4x4 and ive always gone wheeling.
rule numba 1. dont go alone.

at least untill you are comfortable in your rig and know its limits.

I'm not doing any really hard core off-roading but over the years, I've been more in my 4x2's than the one 4x4 I owned.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
No. It is impossible to offroad in a 2wd.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
^^Furthermore, it is essential to be locked front and rear, as well as having a lift installed (SFA would be best) before you even THINK of putting your 4wd on any trail.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
momentum is key
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yes you can!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
i go by myself but none too crazy. just enough to get the excitement. but as for you OP, there's sometimes you gotta know where you can go and can't go.