1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CO offroad trip with my wife #3 - lots of pics

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by NetMonkey, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so this weekend was totally clear and beautiful in colorado so we decided to get in one last off road trip before the mountains start getting rain and snow.

we chose trail #17 (kingston peak trail) from the colorado trails: front range book. we chose this trail because it is rated at a 5 to 6 and we wanted to test out the truck with the new lift and tires. the trail is 9.4 miles and it took us about 4 hours to complete (we were under 3mph most of the time).

there were a few spots on this trail that i doubt a 2x4 could pass through. this trail was very steep, very rocky, and with up to 12" drop offs. a 2x4 would be sliding all over the place whereas a 4x4 could gear down and crawl over everything.

so, the trailhead is in the city of Alice, CO which is 8 miles from the I70 off of exit 283.

heading up fall river road to alice
    [​IMG]

there were a bunch of steep switch backs
    [​IMG]

the town of alice is a confusing mess of winding, unmarked roads (even the garmin was like, "WTF?"). we missed several turns and it took us a few tries to find the trailhead, but here it is:
    [​IMG]

the trail got steep and rocky really fast. it also had quite a few off tight, rocky, and steep switchbacks.
    [​IMG]

i just left the truck in 4Lo most of the trip to keep the speed down and to crawl over the abundance of obstacles.
    [​IMG]

the trail got narrow, but 2 vehicles could still pass at this point.
    [​IMG]

the view from this part of the trail.
    [​IMG]

the whole trail was either up or down. rarely were there flat areas.
    [​IMG]

we found a turn out and stopped for lunch.
    [​IMG]

looking up the trail.
    [​IMG]

continuing up the trail. its becoming steeper and rockier.
    [​IMG]

my wife loves the color of the trees this time of year :)
    [​IMG]

it really was awesome up there.
    [​IMG]

we caught up to a group of jeeps.
    [​IMG]

the guys in the jeeps pulled over so we could pass.
    [​IMG]

continuing up.
    [​IMG]

we are starting to reach the edge of the timber line. the trees are thining out... and the rocks are starting to get bigger and the trail is getting more difficult.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i wish the pictures would show how rough this trail really is. it is rougher than it looks.
    [​IMG]

looking back down the trail.
    [​IMG]

great views... you can see for miles.
    [​IMG]

lots of outcroppings of rocks all over the place.
    [​IMG]

so, near the top of kingston peak, there is this old "house" from the 1800's mining era. it has crumbled over the years, but there is now a tradition for people who visit this site. when you come here, you are supposed to bring a rock from where you live, sign it, and place it in the structure. there is also a log book for you to sign as well. there were other groups of people up there as well so it was nice to visit with them.
    [​IMG]

me looking over the edge of the structure.
    [​IMG]

signing the log book.
    [​IMG]

signed our rock :) we left it in a nice spot so it could see the view :)
    [​IMG]

this mailbox holds the log book and a bunch of pens and markers. also, there is my wifey :)
    [​IMG]

and a campy shot of me. yes, my shirt does say "2+2=5". however, the small print also says, "for extremely large values of 2" :)
    [​IMG]

view from the house looking south.
    [​IMG]

view from the house looking south west.
    [​IMG]

view from the house looking west down to the lake (actually, i think this might have been one of the glory hole mines).
    [​IMG]

back to the truck.
    [​IMG]

the outside temp said 53, but the wind was blowing 20-30mph so it was really cold up there.
    [​IMG]

we climbed to just over 12000 feet. i think the start of the trail was around 8000 feet.
    [​IMG]

heading down from kingston peak. this is the spot where a 2x4 could not make it back up (it could go down, however.) this spot was super narrow, steep, and twisty with a loose, rocky surface. i was crawliing at about 1mph and the back end of the truck slid around a bit. again, the pictures dont really show how rough the trail is.
    [​IMG]

just past that steep descent and now coming onto a marsh area crossing. i suspect this spot could become unpassable during a heavy rain. you can also see the switch back of the trail further up the mountain.
    [​IMG]

this area got very rocky again; so much so, that i forged a path on the tundra above the trail. the trail actually had boulders all over the place and i didnt feel comfortable bouncing around them.
    [​IMG]

take that, you rock.
    [​IMG]

there is so much more clearance under the truck now with the lift. we never hit or dragged any rocks with the underside of the truck. we wre able to straddle over most everything.
    [​IMG]

more rough areas.
    [​IMG]

climbing up again.
    [​IMG]

ok, this area was the "pucker factor" test of the trail. this is the start of a steep and narrow shelf road with 12" drop offs in the middle of the trail. going up this would be a pain in the ass. i dont think a 2x4 could do it. actually, a stock 4x4 would be dragging all the way down this part of the trail.
    [​IMG]

so, this shelf road is the hardest part of the trail. in the distance, you can see a white truck at the 1 turnout on this shelf road. there is no passing on this part and there is no way you would be able to go back up the road. so anyone coming up would have to go back down and wait for the trail to be clear. this short segment took us about 15 minutes to get down. i dont have anymore pictures of this part because i was concentrating on getting down.
    [​IMG]

parked at the turnout.
    [​IMG]

there was a bunch of people up here and one of the couples offered to take a picture of my wife and i :)
    [​IMG]

looking down at the lake from the turnout on the shelf road.
    [​IMG]

there was a hiking trail leading down to the lake. it was probably a mile or two down to the lake.
    [​IMG]

there was a group of motorcyclists heading up the shelf road that we just came down. a few of them had to stop part of the way up and push their bikes over the rocks and drop offs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they tried taking this little off road cart up there. about half way up, the motorcyclists had to stop and lift the cart over some of the obstacles. there was no way it could climb on its own.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we wanted to continue along the shelf road, but this jeep was coming toward us and we didnt know if there were any passing opportunities. so we had to wait until they got to us.
    [​IMG]

as it turns out, there were some spots to pass, but better safe than sorry. you can see how steep the terrain is.
    [​IMG]

it would suck to roll down this mountain.
    [​IMG]

getting back to the timber line.
    [​IMG]

some people are eccentric. someone built this crazy looking house out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a forrest. we were already 3 hours into the trail so i hope they have a helicopter so that they could run to the store :)
    [​IMG]

we are near the end of this trail and we are encountering far fewer rocks, but the terrain is still rough.
    [​IMG]

the trail became narrow, but is much smoother.
    [​IMG]

again, we had a great time exploring the colorado mountains. thanks for looking :)

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Awesome pics! :)

3. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    Looks a great trail, and looks like you had a great time.

4. Oct 2, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I may have to try that trail some time.

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Nolz

Nolz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC TRD Off Road
    TRD Decals (Removed), Mud Flaps (Removed), Undercover Tonneau, Bed Mat, All-Weather Mats, Bug Shield, Tint
    Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Looks like you two had an outstanding day. I envy you folks out in the Rockies!!! :)

6. Oct 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i hate you, that looks amazing and again great pics of such a beautiful place

7. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    Kappes03

Kappes03 Legend of the UG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Hilux Surf
    I've been on this trail twice. It's actually easier if you start from the way you ended. Well not so much easier, but easier to find. It's usually extremely windy right where you took your picture at. Glad you didn't blow away!

8. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Amazing scenery! I like the new look of the truck.

9. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
    Great pics!!! Looks like a ton of fun! That altitude though...phew...

10. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    That looks like an awesome trip.. I wish there were places like that around here. I worked in Colorado at Crested Butte Mountain Resort a few years ago and there were forest service roads everywhere. I loved driving them until the snow came and closed them off.

11. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    GREAT PICS!!

12. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    Bsly862

Bsly862 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    3in lift
    Ive been wanting to try that trail!

Looks great

13. Oct 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    wish i had local off-road trails like that out in norcal

14. Oct 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    JohnnyGato

JohnnyGato God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vegas Island
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5 V6 4x4 Off Road
    Limo tint, Sirius/XM radio, Wet Okole's, Weathertech's, Rhino Lining, blacked out badges, shorty antenna, painted speaker (tweeter) covers, blue LED running lights, Icon 3" lift, Pro Comp 17" 7005's, 33" (285/70/17) Good Year MT/R's with kevlar.
    Cool pics with a killer truck!!!

15. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    that trail is awesome

16. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya... i was thinking about that, but i dont have a compressor to air back up. it is something that i may look into. hmm... xmas is coming up soon :)

17. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    the books that i have rate trails up to a 7. which is plenty for my wife and i riding alone out there :)

the books dont list every trail out there so i suppose you could explore and find some of your own :)

18. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:

ya... i felt a bit winded after walking around at 12000 feet.

19. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    great pics! looks like a blast, and your truck is looking good too :thumbsup:

20. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Kappes03

Kappes03 Legend of the UG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Hilux Surf

Products Discussed in

To Top