Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

CO offroad trip with my wife #3 - lots of pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
CO offroad trip with my wife #3 - lots of pics

so this weekend was totally clear and beautiful in colorado so we decided to get in one last off road trip before the mountains start getting rain and snow.

we chose trail #17 (kingston peak trail) from the colorado trails: front range book. we chose this trail because it is rated at a 5 to 6 and we wanted to test out the truck with the new lift and tires. the trail is 9.4 miles and it took us about 4 hours to complete (we were under 3mph most of the time).

there were a few spots on this trail that i doubt a 2x4 could pass through. this trail was very steep, very rocky, and with up to 12" drop offs. a 2x4 would be sliding all over the place whereas a 4x4 could gear down and crawl over everything.

so, the trailhead is in the city of Alice, CO which is 8 miles from the I70 off of exit 283.

heading up fall river road to alice

there were a bunch of steep switch backs

the town of alice is a confusing mess of winding, unmarked roads (even the garmin was like, "WTF?"). we missed several turns and it took us a few tries to find the trailhead, but here it is:

the trail got steep and rocky really fast. it also had quite a few off tight, rocky, and steep switchbacks.

i just left the truck in 4Lo most of the trip to keep the speed down and to crawl over the abundance of obstacles.

the trail got narrow, but 2 vehicles could still pass at this point.

the view from this part of the trail.

the whole trail was either up or down. rarely were there flat areas.

we found a turn out and stopped for lunch.

looking up the trail.

continuing up the trail. its becoming steeper and rockier.

my wife loves the color of the trees this time of year

it really was awesome up there.

we caught up to a group of jeeps.

the guys in the jeeps pulled over so we could pass.

continuing up.

we are starting to reach the edge of the timber line. the trees are thining out... and the rocks are starting to get bigger and the trail is getting more difficult.

i wish the pictures would show how rough this trail really is. it is rougher than it looks.

looking back down the trail.

great views... you can see for miles.

lots of outcroppings of rocks all over the place.

so, near the top of kingston peak, there is this old "house" from the 1800's mining era. it has crumbled over the years, but there is now a tradition for people who visit this site. when you come here, you are supposed to bring a rock from where you live, sign it, and place it in the structure. there is also a log book for you to sign as well. there were other groups of people up there as well so it was nice to visit with them.

me looking over the edge of the structure.

signing the log book.

signed our rock we left it in a nice spot so it could see the view

this mailbox holds the log book and a bunch of pens and markers. also, there is my wifey

and a campy shot of me. yes, my shirt does say "2+2=5". however, the small print also says, "for extremely large values of 2"

view from the house looking south.

view from the house looking south west.

view from the house looking west down to the lake (actually, i think this might have been one of the glory hole mines).

back to the truck.

the outside temp said 53, but the wind was blowing 20-30mph so it was really cold up there.

we climbed to just over 12000 feet. i think the start of the trail was around 8000 feet.

heading down from kingston peak. this is the spot where a 2x4 could not make it back up (it could go down, however.) this spot was super narrow, steep, and twisty with a loose, rocky surface. i was crawliing at about 1mph and the back end of the truck slid around a bit. again, the pictures dont really show how rough the trail is.

just past that steep descent and now coming onto a marsh area crossing. i suspect this spot could become unpassable during a heavy rain. you can also see the switch back of the trail further up the mountain.

this area got very rocky again; so much so, that i forged a path on the tundra above the trail. the trail actually had boulders all over the place and i didnt feel comfortable bouncing around them.

take that, you rock.

there is so much more clearance under the truck now with the lift. we never hit or dragged any rocks with the underside of the truck. we wre able to straddle over most everything.

more rough areas.

climbing up again.

ok, this area was the "pucker factor" test of the trail. this is the start of a steep and narrow shelf road with 12" drop offs in the middle of the trail. going up this would be a pain in the ass. i dont think a 2x4 could do it. actually, a stock 4x4 would be dragging all the way down this part of the trail.

so, this shelf road is the hardest part of the trail. in the distance, you can see a white truck at the 1 turnout on this shelf road. there is no passing on this part and there is no way you would be able to go back up the road. so anyone coming up would have to go back down and wait for the trail to be clear. this short segment took us about 15 minutes to get down. i dont have anymore pictures of this part because i was concentrating on getting down.

parked at the turnout.

there was a bunch of people up here and one of the couples offered to take a picture of my wife and i

looking down at the lake from the turnout on the shelf road.

there was a hiking trail leading down to the lake. it was probably a mile or two down to the lake.

there was a group of motorcyclists heading up the shelf road that we just came down. a few of them had to stop part of the way up and push their bikes over the rocks and drop offs.

they tried taking this little off road cart up there. about half way up, the motorcyclists had to stop and lift the cart over some of the obstacles. there was no way it could climb on its own.

we wanted to continue along the shelf road, but this jeep was coming toward us and we didnt know if there were any passing opportunities. so we had to wait until they got to us.

as it turns out, there were some spots to pass, but better safe than sorry. you can see how steep the terrain is.

it would suck to roll down this mountain.

getting back to the timber line.

some people are eccentric. someone built this crazy looking house out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a forrest. we were already 3 hours into the trail so i hope they have a helicopter so that they could run to the store

we are near the end of this trail and we are encountering far fewer rocks, but the terrain is still rough.

the trail became narrow, but is much smoother.

again, we had a great time exploring the colorado mountains. thanks for looking
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Looks a great trail, and looks like you had a great time.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I may have to try that trail some time.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Nolz is on a distinguished road

Name: Eddie
Nolz's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Looks like you two had an outstanding day. I envy you folks out in the Rockies!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i hate you, that looks amazing and again great pics of such a beautiful place
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Legend of the UG
Kappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 307th Expeditionary Sig BN
Name: Mike
Kappes03's Tacoma Gallery
I've been on this trail twice. It's actually easier if you start from the way you ended. Well not so much easier, but easier to find. It's usually extremely windy right where you took your picture at. Glad you didn't blow away!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like an awesome trip.. I wish there were places like that around here. I worked in Colorado at Crested Butte Mountain Resort a few years ago and there were forest service roads everywhere. I loved driving them until the snow came and closed them off.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
GREAT PICS!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Name: Nate
Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been wanting to try that trail!

Looks great
Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
wish i had local off-road trails like that out in norcal
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Cool pics with a killer truck!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #16
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
that trail is awesome
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #17
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Looks like a fun trip!!! Truck looks great with the new setup!

A little tip to keep you from bouncing and sliding all over the trail in this type of terrain-AIR DOWN!

Carry a compressor or get a OBA setup and air down to 20-25psi and it will make the ride smoother and keep you from sliding.
ya... i was thinking about that, but i dont have a compressor to air back up. it is something that i may look into. hmm... xmas is coming up soon
Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
You said this trail was rated a 5-6

Do they get harder?
the books that i have rate trails up to a 7. which is plenty for my wife and i riding alone out there

the books dont list every trail out there so i suppose you could explore and find some of your own
Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
Great pics!!! Looks like a ton of fun! That altitude though...phew...
thanks

ya... i felt a bit winded after walking around at 12000 feet.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #20
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
great pics! looks like a blast, and your truck is looking good too

Products Discussed in this Thread