Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Amicalola Falls / Nimblewill Gap GA

Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Amicalola Falls / Nimblewill Gap GA

Geotaco and I went up to Nimblewill gap at Amicalola falls today. We had a pretty good time. The trails had a few technical parts, crawling through some rocky areas and a few deep water crossings but my open diff SR5 made it through just fine in 4LO in spots. One water crossing was well over the door sills on both of our trucks..if we had stopped water probably would have made its way into the cab. Good thing for the diff breather mod This was the first time I had been there. I didn't take as many pics as I'd liked because I was concentrating on driving. I just put my camera on "sport" mode so excuse some of the blurryness. He and I definitely wanna get some more people to go next time.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good trip, Definetely need to get more people up there. Its a fun easy ride, and plenty of camping if we want to make a weekend out of it and explore some.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm down for some camping up there.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
where is this place at?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Gentle Ben is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TACP
Gentle Ben's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I've hiked there a couple of times. Didn't know there were any 4x4 trails. Going to be in Blue Ridge around Christmas...maybe I'll introduce the truck to some dirt this time.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Trevor
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
post more pics
Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis1291 View Post
post more pics
that's all I took.

Jason, you are welcome to crash at my place if you wanna come up for a weekend of wheeling. I have a spare bedroom. Bring the Walker tho

Wolfgang123, this is right around Amicalola falls state park on GA 52 halfway between Ellijay and Dahlonega. We actually started outside the park ended in the park.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
that's all I took.

Jason, you are welcome to crash at my place if you wanna come up for a weekend of wheeling. I have a spare bedroom. Bring the Walker tho

Wolfgang123, this is right around Amicalola falls state park on GA 52 halfway between Ellijay and Dahlonega. We actually started outside the park ended in the park.
I'll take the Walker down the trails. Thanks for the offer, I may have to take you up on that.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone wanna hit up the trails on November 13? Im moving to Denver at the begining of December and would like to get atleast one more ride in.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
Anyone wanna hit up the trails on November 13? Im moving to Denver at the begining of December and would like to get atleast one more ride in.
I'm down for that weekend.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #12

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I started a thread for the trip nov. 13. is in the southeast section
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
would this be a trail a prerunner could handle? if not i dont mind pulling out my winch from time to time but would love to come wheel with ya some. pm if you guys are getting together again some time and i would love to tag along. live about an hour out from amicalola.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
would this be a trail a prerunner could handle? if not i dont mind pulling out my winch from time to time but would love to come wheel with ya some. pm if you guys are getting together again some time and i would love to tag along. live about an hour out from amicalola.
I don't think a prerunner could make it through. There is a pretty sketchy
rock crawling section (small rocks) depending on conditions that even I had a little trouble in 4LO getting through (wish I had a rear locker). I still made it through with a little wheel spin. There is also a pretty deep mud hole that you would definitely get stuck in 2wd.

You are more than welcome to ride along though. You can make it up the fire roads that get to the hard part of the trail with no problem. I've seen a volvo sedan up at the trailhead before.

I'm sure if you tried really hard you could make it through..however you would tear shit up (trails, vehicle, etc) with all the wheelspin which goes against the "tread lightly" philosophy that all off-roaders should follow.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
locker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I don't think a prerunner could make it through. There is a pretty sketchy
rock crawling section (small rocks) depending on conditions that even I had a little trouble in 4LO getting through (wish I had a rear locker). I still made it through with a little wheel spin. There is also a pretty deep mud hole that you would definitely get stuck in 2wd.

You are more than welcome to ride along though. You can make it up the fire roads that get to the hard part of the trail with no problem. I've seen a volvo sedan up at the trailhead before.

I'm sure if you tried really hard you could make it through..however you would tear shit up (trails, vehicle, etc) with all the wheelspin which goes against the "tread lightly" philosophy that all off-roaders should follow.
if i throw a locker and a 3" lfit on my truck would i hold a prayer of getting through while still treading lightly? im gonna get some ome front coils and throw and aal in the rear. also gonna get a powertrax lockright. myabe that will do me some justice? just lemme know hopefully by the next time you guys go ill have at least the locker.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Trevor
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to come but 3 hours is kinda far for me
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #17

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
pre-runner could get sketchy on a few parts of that trail, locked and lifted you would stand a better chance, but im guessing you would need the winch, atleast once. go with Brad or someone who has been there before, and go last so you dont shoot rocks through windshields
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
Quote:
pre-runner could get sketchy on a few parts of that trail, locked and lifted you would stand a better chance, but im guessing you would need the winch, atleast once. go with Brad or someone who has been there before, and go last so you dont shoot rocks through windshields
well maybe once im locked and lifted ill go cause i do have a winch and i lead up the rear to not throw rocks at people
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
Quote:
well thank god i have a winch and dam it paid off down at durham town meet this weekend