Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Good Trail in the Salt Lake City area?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Ahitaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Ahitaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good Trail in the Salt Lake City area?

I have had my trcuk for 3 years now and I have only been off road a few times and really it was nothing to special mostly dirt roads to get out and shoot the shot gun. But after seeing some of the pictures that are on here I realize i am not using my Tacoma to its full potential. I would like to find a fun trail in the salt lake area that i could go explore this weekend. Any Idea??
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

TRDSPORTtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, come down to St. George. Or meet me in Moab while I visit my wife's family.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of stuff to see out west of the lake, going towards the Newfoundland mountains. There is the old rail bed, some cool caves (one big enough to park a couple rigs in and camp), Bonneville salt, Mines, Old cars and trucks up in forgotten canyons. Lots to do up there ! I wish I had more time to check out more of that whole area. Maybe next year ?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
By now, most of the fun trails in the Salt Lake area will be impassible/closed due to snow. Your best bet is heading down to Moab, if you want some real trails. There is a big difference between a rough dirt road (the average TW definition of "trail"), and a fun/challenging trail, with obstacles and some thought required.

You would be amazed what your Taco can do, even stock.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Beard Enthusiast
MonTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
MonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Lots of stuff to see out west of the lake, going towards the Newfoundland mountains. There is the old rail bed, some cool caves (one big enough to park a couple rigs in and camp), Bonneville salt, Mines, Old cars and trucks up in forgotten canyons. Lots to do up there ! I wish I had more time to check out more of that whole area. Maybe next year ?
How do you get out to the Newfoundland Mountains? I was interested in exploring out there and not sure how to get there or if it's military restricted area or not.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Getting to the Newfoundlands will require passing through the bombing range. Just gotta hope their not doing drills and the gate is open. If the gate is open you can get there.

As for other trails around SLC, a lot are going to be snow covered right now and difficult. Our local Toyota club (Wasatch Cruisers) drove the Pony Express trail last weekend. Started out near Simpson Springs and went all the way to Wendover.

Next weekend is our annual Sand Dunes trip to Little Sahara. There is usually a different run every month. You can find out more about the club at Wasatchcruisers.org.

This time of year you need to head south to get away from the snow. Moab or San Rafael Swell are good options but will still have some snow.

There are a couple other short trails closer to SLC, like Ward Canyon in Bountiful. Your best bet is to get this book.

It doesn't have the more difficult stuff, but it doesn't sound like you're after those trails yet. But this is a great book with lots of trails all over the state with full GPS coordinates and directions. It has great descriptions and information about the trails too.