Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2nd gen off-road capabilities?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
onlyontwo is on a distinguished road
onlyontwo's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen off-road capabilities?

Hey all,

My wife and I are in the market for a new truck. We (more like I, she is just understanding ) want to build a mini expedition vehicle. I've pretty much made up my mind on a new Tacoma. My question is this:

I used to own a modified Jeep and have experience offroad. I want a truck that can handle some fairly difficult trails yet still be daily driven. I've got a budget to get the all-pro armor package and some other goodies. I just wondered if the truck would be a good choice. I've never driven one on trails. I have in a FJ and it did well. I just know that the new Tacoma does not have the rear locker, it was switched to Atrac like the FJ has.

I just want to make sure I will be happy after spending the cash. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the new tacomas still have the rear locker in the trd offroads
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get the TRD offraod. One it has the locker and it is geared much lower than the Sport. You will need to make some mods however you will not find any other group that is as willing to help. Overall the truck provides great power and expandability. Jay
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Thanks guys. A buddy of mine is a District Manager for Toyota and he said they were doing away with the rear locker on all of them. I guess he was wrong. That makes me happy though. I know I will have to do some mods, that is part of the fun. I'm not going to beat the crap out of it. I just want to be able to access unimproved roads and some decent trails here in SoCal. I planned on the All-pro front/rear bumper, rocksliders, front skid, tranny/transfer case skid and eventually a winch. I was thinking the Bilstein adjustable coilovers and Goodyear MTR's in 285's?

Thanks again,
Andy
Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The '05+ are very capable. Since you plan on off roading you should get the TRD Off Road package which does include locker as well as ATRAC. With all the mods you spoke of you're gonna end up with one badass, capable, and fun to drive truck.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you will have no problem at all modding out and wheeling a second gen. tacoma!!! cant wait to see pics of the finished product!!! that is....when ya get it!!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Make sure you get the TRD offraod. One it has the locker and it is geared much lower than the Sport. You will need to make some mods however you will not find any other group that is as willing to help. Overall the truck provides great power and expandability. Jay
+1
Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
Your set up sounds perfect!

Tacomas are great and If you do buy one I know you will love it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I wheel mine everyweekend,Shes a sport but still does very well, With the offroad you shouldnt have a problem,The allpro armor is a really good idea I have the plate bumper and sliders.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post

Not to nit pick, but there is no difference in gearing between Base, SR5, Sport or Off Road.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
my 4x4 sport double cab climbed rocks and and conquered trails like a champ. stock. yes with street tires.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
I planned on the All-pro front/rear bumper, rocksliders, front skid, tranny/transfer case skid and eventually a winch. I was thinking the Bilstein adjustable coilovers and Goodyear MTR's in 285's?

Thanks again,
Andy
that's quite a bit of armor to throw on some bilstein adjustables... with all the armor, that could be a considerable amount of additional weight to the truck...

Icon is releasing the new remote resivoir coilovers... 650 pound coils and heavy duty construction...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Thanks again for the replys. I didn't know if the Bilsteins would work or not. I will look into the Icons. Would the OME heavy coils work? Also, what kind of weight do you think I will be adding?

Silverback07 and Silver07Taco, what suspension set-up are you guys running?

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Andy
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Now these would be cool. Any word on a release date? I can't really justify buying them, but....
no release on them yet i dont think, although they did show a pic of it installed over on TTORA...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
What's an OCTO? Sorry.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
and its much better than TOOC Thanks for the explanation.. I was wondering what that meant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
Or COOT for that matter

Dont forger about TOCO
Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Thanks again guys for all the help. I will check out the OME set-up. It is going to be a long 3 months...Hope to keep the thread alive though. Silverback, how do you like your rear bumper? Your set-up is very close to what I'm going for. I was going to get the all-pro rear bumper for the corner protection, but yours looks great.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
So you are able to stuff a 285 under there...I was just planning on ditching the spare and running with a plug kit and having onboard air. That is where I was going to mount my tank. I know that if you are seriously wheeling that a fullsize spare is a must. But with MTR's I think I would be okay? Man, I'm glad I joined this forum.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #19
gpspowell will become famous soon enoughgpspowell will become famous soon enough
Navy: Viet Nam Veteran 1964-1967
gpspowell's Tacoma Gallery
Onlyontwo,

With the mods plans you have, you'll love the truck. My '08 is similarly set up: ARB front bumper, complete All Pro armor + a custom skid pan under the fuel tank, 2 1/2" lift from OME suspension front & rear, ARB rock sliders, a Ramsey REP 8000 winch on a hitch mount, and a Snug Top topper. No weight problems with all that on the OME. I carry the winch in the bed in the recovery box and the ARB bumper has a receiver in it so the winch can go on either front or rear, depending on need. It also keeps that extra 75# off the front bumper for normal roading. With the lift and a bit of trimming I'm running 285X75X16 Michelin LTX AT2 tires on Centerline rims with a 4 1/2" backset. As was stated above, the 285 spare will fit up underneath just fine with a little tweaking. Enough words. Look here.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stock 06 4x4 4 cyl acc cab no locker and no lift. I had it airborne and on some pretty good trails and on the beach and never had a problem. Knowing the trucks capability and reading the line of travel is important. Look at it this way, some guys get stuck and some guys make it through, the more you wheel the better you get. have fun with it be safe and when you want to upgrade ask the guys here they know their stuff and love what they do. I run a D6 dozer and fly over stuff I used to get stuck in 25 years ago.