Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Fatality on a Washington trail

Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Fatality on a Washington trail

Saw this on the news.

I really hope alcohol wasn't involved and my thoughts to the family.

Don't go out alone folks!

Cross posted in the Northwest region sub-forum as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
jvallin is on a distinguished road

EMS: Critical Care EMT
Name: joey
jvallin's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. Man how sad that is. I also hope the boy is ok. Let it be a lesson NEVER WHEEL ALONE and if you do get one of those SPOT GPS locators.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvallin View Post
I agree. Man how sad that is. I also hope the boy is ok. Let it be a lesson NEVER WHEEL ALONE and if you do get one of those SPOT GPS locators.
Never wheel alone - period. Always have another vehicle with you.

A GPS spot locator can't call 911 when there's an emergency.

Yeah, I hope alcohol wasn't to blame. Lovely, even more ammo for the Greenies to close the trails.

I hope that little boy is OK. A damn shame....
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
tsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura about

tsab916's Tacoma Gallery
dam..sad...

this is why i never let my dad go hunting alone...

a gps locator can't call 911 in an emergency but if anybody insist on going alone it's still better than nothing....
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Well he did phone a friend but never really said where exactly he was. Just the general area. His friend never called it in till the next day. He never said he flipped the truck only he needed a jeep cause he was stuck.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
Well he did phone a friend but never really said where exactly he was. Just the general area. His friend never called it in till the next day. He never said he flipped the truck only he needed a jeep cause he was stuck.
I would of called for a toyota.

And shit, that really sucks. Thats why I stopped going alone at night even thought they were easy dirt roads.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Moral of the story:

Anyone stupid enough to own a Jeep should not be your first choice to call for help cause like he was also too stupid to call it in right away. He was probably going to go out and help him but had to spend a few hours fixen the Heep. When he decided the Heep could not be fixed fast enough he called finally 911.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Very sad story.

This should serve as reminder to us all that venturing out into the backcountry alone increases the risk of a bad outcome 100 fold. I have friends who backcountry ski (DEEP in the backcountry) alone and I think it is the most foolish endeavor in the world.

P.s., IMO possessing a PLB is a good idea in the right circumstances, but having one is no justification for being foolish enough to venture out into the wilderness on your own or take other unnecessary risks. The goal should be to eliminate as many risks as possible, not to trade one risk for another.

Talk to any SAR serviceman about PLB deployments that have occurred in the wake of a chain of poor decision making and poor judgment and they will give you an earful.