LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off-road valve stem replacement

Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Off-road valve stem replacement

Tried a search, didn't find anything.

I already carry spare, high lift jack, and tire repair tools, plus a compressor.

Looking at the wheel, it appears that it's not too much of a stretch for a tree branch to reach out and rip off/out my valve stem as I drive past it.

Yeah I know. Carry a spare. But I've only got one, and I like to be prepared with a backup plan.

Anyone ever ripped out a valve stem while off roading? What do you need to have in order to replace it in the wild?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Tried a search, didn't find anything.

I already carry spare, high lift jack, and tire repair tools, plus a compressor.

Looking at the wheel, it appears that it's not too much of a stretch for a tree branch to reach out and rip off/out my valve stem as I drive past it.

Yeah I know. Carry a spare. But I've only got one, and I like to be prepared with a backup plan.

Anyone ever ripped out a valve stem while off roading? What do you need to have in order to replace it in the wild?

I haven't of it happening but I guess it could. I just carry like 3 of the standard rubber ones and a 4 way tool to put them in the wheel.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
...4 way tool to put them in the wheel.
Linky? The hope, of course, is to avoid having to break the bead off the rim and set the new valve from the inside.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Linky? The hope, of course, is to avoid having to break the bead off the rim and set the new valve from the inside.
Isn't that the unavoidable part .
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Isn't that the unavoidable part .
Let me frame my boneheaded noooobie question a different way.

Say for the sake of argument I'm out in East Bumfuckistan and I drive past a stump rolling over a thick branch that flies up inside the rim and rips off the valve stem. The air flies out with a thwoosh, and I come to a stop.

Assuming my spare tire is already in use because I ripped open a sidewall on a rusty steel beaver trap that had been hiding unseen since 1844, how do I now replace the valve that just ripped off, and what tools do I need to have in my kit?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Let me frame my boneheaded noooobie question a different way.

Say for the sake of argument I'm out in East Bumfuckistan and I drive past a stump rolling over a thick branch that flies up inside the rim and rips off the valve stem. The air flies out with a thwoosh, and I come to a stop.

Assuming my spare tire is already in use because I ripped open a sidewall on a rusty steel beaver trap that had been hiding unseen since 1844, how do I now replace the valve that just ripped off, and what tools do I need to have in my kit?
Im using part of this in my sig
Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Im using part of this in my sig
I'll take "Unlikely Scenarios" for 200 please, Alex.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
We always carried a spare valve stem & valves (& valve removal tool).

Never seen a valve stem rip out. The valve stems are a lot wider and thick rubber on the inside of the wheel. It'd be hard to rip it out.

However - the actual valves inside the stem is a different story. We've replaced several valves on rigs before due to leakage. I"m guessing the valve stem bends (its flexible) and breaks the valve inside causing leakage.

You should have a valve stem tool (so to speak) in your toolkit. Something like this - can be purchased at any auto store. It's what you use to unthread the valves out of the valve stems.
http://www.amazon.com/Westward-2HLE5.../dp/B001GIUCNA
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
You can raplace the stem without fully breaking the bead. Just push the sidewall down far enough to fit your hand in and pop the new stem into the hole, then re-inflate. I've done it countless times, no need to re-balance either.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
The newer trucks have the TPMS valve stems, so they're larger and made out of metal. They look like a bigger target than the rubber stems used to.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
OH yeah..and of course... you have the TPMS system. Not sure how those valves & stems are compared to the basic setup.
The valves themselves are the same. I have a remover that's on the top of the valve cap.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The newer trucks have the TPMS valve stems, so they're larger and made out of metal. They look like a bigger target than the rubber stems used to.
That is true. But they are basically just bolted in, so it were to break (doubtful) you could just break the bead beside it, and swap it out for a regular rubber stem. It would set off the low tire light, but it would get you home.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i installed 4 rubber valve stems in my stock sport wheels. pushed the sidewall down far enough to poke the valve stem through, then pushed from the inside of the rim and pulled on the outside of the valve stem w/ the stem tool. from that point you could try using the compressor to pop the bead back on or do it the redneck way w/ some sort of combustable liquid and light that mofo up.

*keep your foot away from the tire b/c it may blow out a fireball onto your foot*
Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SLIME has a little kit that comes with some valves and a 4 way tool. THey sell it in Walmart and Autozone. Its only like $5. THe tool is great quality. I've used it a few times