Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

What can you do with a PreRunner?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
TacoStateOfMind
TacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to beholdTacoStateOfMind is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nicole
TacoStateOfMind's Tacoma Gallery
What can you do with a PreRunner?

I just got my '00 Tacoma PreRunner with rear diff. lock and I want to know how far I can push it off roading. I haven't done much with her yet, and I want to make sure I don't get too carried away. Thoughts, suggestions, pictures?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome....When you get stuck you know you went to far!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoStateOfMind View Post
I just got my '00 Tacoma PreRunner with rear diff. and I want to know how far I can push it off roading. I haven't done much with her yet, and I want to make sure I don't get too carried away. Thoughts, suggestions, pictures?
are you talking rear diff lock? either way, just remember to air down, take your time over obstacles, keep momentum on the sand, always have a spotter and another vehicle that can pull you out

and adequate recovery gear
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
too bad you dont live in the mainland. otherwise, i'd be able to show you a few spots that arent too outrageous
Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Just watch out for sand...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
There's a lot you can do especially if you have a rear locker. I'm 100% prerunner without a rear locker, 2wd.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
rsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Tyler
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Dude if your locked you can do a lot! Im a open diff(for now)PreRunner, and wheel almost every weekend and have a blast with it. Even in sand, just air down to 10psi, i drove all of pismo sand dunes in my truck didnt get stuck once.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunners can do tons. I've got a Sport and have only gotten stuck once and that was my dumb ass fault for slowing down and turning into deeper sand. I was floating before that. Just always be sure to air down lots. And an air compressor would be cool to air back up when needed. Heh. Come to think about it, last visit to Ocotillo, I didn't air down at all!

Indeed you are limited to what you can do, but I'm still pushing mine hard and finding new obstacles. Once I get a locker installed, (don't know when,) I'll have even more confidence. You will be fine. I say have a 4x4 around to test yourself in case you get stuck. I wanna go wheeling now!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
unstpible is on a distinguished road

Marines: terminal lance
Name: Derek
unstpible's Tacoma Gallery
you can always sell your prerunner thats about all id want to do with out 4x4 haha
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
You can go anywhere a 4x4 can go without going into 4H or 4L
Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstpible View Post
you can always sell your prerunner thats about all id want to do with out 4x4 haha
2010 thread...
Old 08-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Duck Fan
SalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SalemCBR's Tacoma Gallery
I have a locked prerunner and i drive all over the state for work. After 5 pm i usually find myself a trail. Sure u can do alot of things but with much more risk of being stuck. Quality tires makes a big difference i noticed. I usually dont change my air pressure. But it sure helps.

I cant tell u how many times i went down a trail only to turn around because i didnt have anyone to pull me out and wasnt comfortable with the risk. Its made me want a winch... but i dont wanna drop a bunch of money into a prerunner.

If i had it to do over again i would have bought a 4x4. The 2 extra mpg and price pushed me into a prerunner.

I do love my truck and have done alot with it. But ill likely swap it for a 4x4. Still cant decide 1st or second gen. But its getting harder all the time to get a lower mileage 1st gen.

Get urself some recovery equipment or bring a friend (with a truck) and you will have a good time.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
pre runners can do a lot but with out the 2 front wheels pulling you up things they are limited in what you can do, and this is where you leave the 4wd guy in the dust on the whoops!
You saying 4x4 tacos can't smash on whoops?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
You can get stuck on a muddy road
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
ColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud of

Name: Cole
ColesDirtyYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
You saying 4x4 tacos can't smash on whoops?

they surely can! but with 2wd it is much easier to make a larger kit because u dont have to worry about CV angles and ect and u can make a larger spindle to get the vehicle to a better ride height. not to mention its lighter. regardless i had so much fun with my 4x4 LT kit, i only pulled it because the trucks now getting fully caged and it had to go
Old 09-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen prerunners get up & over some pretty incredible shit , until they get stuck & need a recovery, usually by way of 4wd
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
" target="_blank">
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
iRep8OH8 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chaz
iRep8OH8's Tacoma Gallery

My Friend's prerunner did everything the 4wd in the backround did! haha (we had 4wd just incaseeeeee.) lol