Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Best CB Radios?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Best CB Radios?

I am looking into getting a CB radio here soon, but the problem is that I know nothing about them. Can someone tell me some good radios and explain to me what is important in selecting one? Also, if it matters, I like the ones where you mount the box and then just the part you talk into is separate (a la semi style). I am not a huge fan of the all in one CBs...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You mean like this?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-25.html

The cobra 75 wx st is popular in tacomas.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
You mean like this?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-25.html

I'm not a fan of that style. Cobra in general is awesome though.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's the style I don't like... I don't like all the buttons on the handset like that. I would like the buttons to all be contained on the main unit if possible.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I'm kinda in the same situation, but from what I've read, it has more to do with antenna quality and placement over the radio itself.

As far as radios go, its basically just a choice of what features you want, be it weather, blue tooth, PA, speakers, etc. Some do allow a few more fine tuning adjustments, which might matter if you were using it for long distance reasons, but I have a feeling that most of those adjustments aren't really all that necessary if the antenna is tuned right, specially if you're using it at off road distances.

There's a whole bunch of info concerning it at http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-20.html (which doesn't seem like its trying to push products/services like most other sites like this tend to do)

I'm kinda stuck on antenna stuff myself.
I can mount it on top of my light bar in my bed, on my front bumper, on the hood, etc. I'm sort of leaning towards the light bar with a rotating bracket so I can have it laying flat when not in use.

The problem I've run into is which would be better... A shorter antenna (3') higher in the air (mounted to light bar), or a longer antenna (4-5') not as high in the air (mounted to other location). I'm thinking the logic is the higher the end is, the more range, regardless of overall antenna length, but I'm just not certain.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats the one that I'm going to get when I get the money (come one next paycheck!).
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
a lot of people also use the cobra 19 ultra IV or cobra 29 series. at that point it's all about space.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Antennas, and SWR. The actual unit of the radios are all the same after that. I will end up switching over to the cobra 75 wx st once my 2m radio goes in to save on space.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
As was mentioned earlier, the radio doesn't matter so much as the antenna. I have a cheap RadioShack I paid $39 for. With a K-40 magnet mount on the roof, I can talk about 5 miles on the road, and if I'm coming down from my job site on Angel Peak (Mt. Charleston), I can talk over 20 miles.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
After driving commercial truck for 17 yrs, and owning almost any Cb imaginable, from 200 amp linear boosted, tweaked finals, high dollar radios to the el-cheapos. Best bang for the buck is the $50 Unidens and Cobras with squelch,volume and ANL switch.

It's all in the antenna. With a Firestick II and a $50 Uniden, I can talk 10+ miles with terrain/weather interference, high elevation line of sight is good for 20+ miles, which is more than enough.

Firestick II's with the tuneable tip,.
http://www.firestik.com/index.htm
I have the 3' model on my Yota and the 5' on the Peterbuilt.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
As was mentioned earlier, the radio doesn't matter so much as the antenna. I have a cheap RadioShack I paid $39 for. With a K-40 magnet mount on the roof, I can talk about 5 miles on the road, and if I'm coming down from my job site on Angel Peak (Mt. Charleston), I can talk over 20 miles.
This ^^

A $50 Cobra radio with a high end antenna will transmit farther than a high end radio and a cheaper antenna.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I have a cobra 29 with bigger finals, talkback,reverb, and echo. I jump that threw a 200 watt kicker. I use a wilson magnet mount antenna and a camoflage astatic mic.
A cobra 19 is a really good radio and can be bought cheap. They are smaller than the 29 and can fit just about anywhere.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
you want a "super tuned " CB. meaning it will perform better. The Cobra 29 can be a great radio with a little work
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
you want a "super tuned " CB. meaning it will perform better. The Cobra 29 can be a great radio with a little work
Can you elaborate on "super tuning"?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Can you elaborate on "super tuning"?
NOT STOCK IE all the previous examples other than your basic Cobra 4-watter.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
Vivid Illumination

I am not afraid of not stock... At all. I will rig anything to make it work better
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you're really concerned with top notch CB performance, nothing beats mounting a full 1/4 wave 102" wire wip antenna.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Really though, what are you using it for? A good basic radio with a 3' or 4' firestik antenna that you've tuned with an SWR meter is going to work pretty darn well.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're really concerned with top notch CB performance, nothing beats mounting a full 1/4 wave 102" wire wip antenna.
Yup always the better choice than the smaller electronically shortened antennas. IMO is very unique and looks badass especially on a Tacoma