1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow driving in Seattle

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Tacoma206, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Nov 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    hehe i guess not. it happens to the best of us ;)

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Yes it's kind of becoming a dated idea now. It only works in rear wheel drive cars and trucks. But it sure works well. Saved my bacon a few times. I have the Taco now though and with chains or cables it will be superior to my old truck.

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    It actually works even better in AWD cars. I'll try and find a video I saw a couple years ago of an AWD Audi doing this, and completely saving himself from crashing.

4. Nov 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I tried to find a video of somebody doing this trick. If you can find a video post it please. It's almost something you have to practice before hand but man does it ever work well. When I took my driving instructions ( Defensive Driving ) they actually had me doing this, but that was a long time ago. It sure did save my bacon a few times over the years for sure. Problem is Mythbusters did something similar and got it all screwed up. Now most of the video's are on that. What do you expect from people living in SF. They found it does not work. I disagree, it works. I'm not sure if they did this type stopping though. I didn't watch the video's. So many people complained they are going to do it again. They also taught me the emergency brake stopping on hills. Now Tacoma's don't have a separate lock. You need that, so it would never work on our trucks.

I read over that Mythbusters test. Those guys did not understand how to do it. The wheels have to stop turning. They where not on a hill so the only way to get them to stop turning then is using the brakes. So then they though well your using brakes. The brakes idea was just to simulate sliding on ice. They didn't get it. You got to do this on a strait icy hill or you will never figure it out. You would not need brakes then you would just have to get it sliding. When your sliding you can't stop period and you have no steering. Just slip it into neutral then into reverse and touch the gas. Hey you have braking power again and you can now steer. Works better than brakes cause the tires are turning backwards.

Products Discussed in

To Top