1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow driving in Seattle

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Tacoma206, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Seattle has awful drivers when it snows. They drive as if the roads are bare and it makes sense why everybody crashes. My 2010 Taco was a champ and I was driving around people like nothing. I was out driving at 11pm and I felt like the apocalypse hit cause it was just me driving and there were crashed and stalled cars all around me. Pretty sweet (and weird).

Anyways, my truck was awesome. My parents questioned me when I got it, but this past week they were thanking me for driving them around!

Check out some video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XLtYHqon1w

2. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    doesnt look like driver skill has anything to do with that road...

3. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    ^ what he said. its cuz these damn hippies dont want to salt the road so all the roads just have shear ice all over them. if they would salt the roads and prepare it wouldnt be that bad. but they dont and they wont so its harder to drive on hilly icy roads in seattle.

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    can u say "slick"? damn, def need chains for that. 4x4 or lockers, i dont care... you're goin down haha

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock

salt... no thank you...

6. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Salt and sand baby. Couple that with winter tires, it's like driving in summer. Although if you know the roads aren't salted or sanded then you're a retard for going that fast, and a few of them were. So yes...their skills as drivers suck big salty chocolate balls.

7. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    You don't need chains for that, but it would definitely help. That hill is right by my house. I was driving up and down that hill. The problem here is that people go way to fast and then hit the brakes going down. Watch their wheels just lock up in the video... Seattle doesn't really get that much snow, so when it hits people don't know how to drive, even on flat roads. Watch out for the taxi drivers, they are the worst in the snow...

8. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    haha well ya u dont need chains if ur in a tacoma! Didn't see any tacomas slidin down that

9. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock

when vehicles that are stopped start sliding sideways down while locked up thats slick...

10. Nov 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    the problem isnt completely bad driving. its poor winter prep system. its happened the last few years. they just need do something(salt the damn roads) so that they dont freeze up and become ice rinks.

11. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i prefer chains over salt... nobody wants there truck rotting out from under them

12. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Darrylb

Darrylb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Had just as much fun up here in Vancouver with my 08. weaving in and out of all the stuck cars, My Tacoma is a tank in the snow.

the key is to keep off the brakes, biggest reason why I bought a 6 speed

13. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    well... thats why i dont drive in this shit. i just get rides haha

14. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Yeah the snow prep could definitely be better. I agree with that. But if you saw the way some people were driving other than on the hill in the video you be like 'wtf?'

15. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    My street was like that two years ago. Philly decided it wasn't going to salt, because we were running out of money, so they skipped out. My street became a nightmare, because half of it is on fill, and the areas that are on fill stayed colder. As soon as you got off the fill area, the road was a bit warmer, and there wasn't any ice. Anyway, at the end of the day, there 6 accidents and two stuck cars in a city block. The police were so busy with these types of accidents that day, that all they did was send someone to rope it off until they could get a cop up there to sort everything out. It took them about 6 hours to get a cop over to our street. Needless to say, the city salted the next time snow/ice would happen.

As someone mentioned, it was nothing to do with skill. There were trucks, minivans, and cars all on my street involved in accidents (and yes, the majority were Toyota's). My brother's matrix was parked and it was involved in a multi-car collision that day, and it slid 20 feet straight back from a mild tap.

16. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Problem is it don't matter what you have, even chains. If you had chains and that bus started coming toward you it would not really help other than trying to back up in a hurry.

It's not how you drive it's all the other road hazards. The west coast is just a nightmare when it gets cold and slippery. The bigger hazard is other drivers.

You basically need a M1 tank.

17. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    or like in cali if the roads get bad they require chains...

most of the time they are way over the top but in a situation like the video, if everyone had chains theyd be fine...

18. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Driving skill is defanitly a MAJOR factor for most winter accidents. But on roads that are literal sheets of ice traction is just nonexistant. When you just tap your brakes and start sliding sideways the road is just bad.

I have a lowered 2wd, so snow/ice driving is...funny. If im comming up to a turn i usually switch down to 2, then L (automatics, gotta love em:cool:) so im not riding the breaks to slow down. I havent had any winter wrecks yet knock on wood.

WITH CHAINS!!!

19. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    BrentPaucke

BrentPaucke Love Your Leisure

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    Central Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5
    arb bumper blacked out tail lights camper shell hella 500 grill lights cb radio custom black dee zee tool book bhlm pioneer deck OME 3 inch dakar leafs URD stage 4 clutch aluminum fly wheel
    i live just accross the water and it was just as bad here and my truck was also a champ i pulled a chevy 3500 and they guy felt like a dick.... but i had a blast just wish it would snow again

20. Nov 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    My experience was trying to climb a steep hill here on the coast. No Problemo man. It was the 6 city buses in front of me sliding back down that had my attention. It's great if you can stay out of every ones way but sometimes it's just not worth the risk.

I just pulled off on a side street then watched the carnage.

Products Discussed in

To Top