Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

iPhone for a GPS?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
gordynor is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
gordynor's Tacoma Gallery
iPhone for a GPS?

So I have been thinking of using my iPhone on 4x4 trips instead of a dedicated GPS (a la Garmin)... I know that the app I use would have to cache topo maps ahead of time since I can't count on 3G signal. I've played with GPS kit, MotionX and Tracker, but I'm not convinced that these programs would really cut it to replace a dedicated device.

Have any of you tried using the iPhone as you primary off road GPS? What app(s) do you prefer?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno about the apps but Tricoma might have used his and for sure Wolfman05 used his when we've gone and it works. Think it was just google maps though?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got MotionX on my iPhone, but I dont think i'd trust it in a situation where it really mattered. I'd shell out the cash for a dedicated handheld GPS. My $.02
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know about iphone but my verizon droid x comes with navigation. and a million apps for all types of gps needs. i never use my gps anymore only my phone.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want.

If you're happy with a simple Lat/Long - yes I think you can get an app that will provide that even absent signal.

But if you want the device to display maps, best to get a dedicated GPS that downloads its map data. iPhone counts on being able to download data.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
i dont know about iphone but my verizon droid x comes with navigation. and a million apps for all types of gps needs. i never use my gps anymore only my phone.
+1 on the Droid X. The street level GPS is incredible. Not sure about offroad. However, neither of those help you with offroad GPS on an iPhone.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
gordynor is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
gordynor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Depends on what you want.

If you're happy with a simple Lat/Long - yes I think you can get an app that will provide that even absent signal.

But if you want the device to display maps, best to get a dedicated GPS that downloads its map data. iPhone counts on being able to download data.
MotionX and GPS Kit allow you to download ("cache") the topo maps ahead of time for offline use. You have a choice of like 5 different topo map sources like Google terrain and Open maps - all for free and updated regularly. It burns me that Garmin charges so much for their maps these days... They need to get a clue.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
I use Gaia GPS and it's not too bad, gives you all the topographic maps but you do need to download the maps prior to heading out, I have yet to use it off roading but the topo maps do match up with the paper maps I have and used for scouting hunting spots.