Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

build truck or buy truck

View Poll Results: what to do
build tacoma 43 61.43%
buy another trail rig 27 38.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
build truck or buy truck

ok, heres the decision im faced with currently

1: but around $15,000 into current truck to make a capable truck...

or

2: spend said money on buying an already built trail rig...
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
build it and make it the way you want it.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Build... Unless you're really not into the truck that you currently own.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
well it seems like alot of money to be putting into a truck i want to wheel alot , i love my tacoma , and regardless it will be gettign a 3" lift and 33's no matter what , but for the amout of money i want to put into my taco, i could get a jeep mostly built , have it on at least 37's with a solid front axle under me, than i also have another vehicle for when my trail rig breaks , thats the other big thing

i could get something like this at a comparable price (after shipping/taxes it probably comes to about the same)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item3a617359fc
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Buy one. That's what I did. It makes more sense financially to buy one built. If you spend the time looking you'll find a built one that's exactly what you want.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
It makes MUCH more sense to buy a dedicated trail rig. For the money you're talking, you could get a solid one, and not have to worry about your truck breaking and leaving you stranded when you need to go somewhere. Besides, it will save you money financially. You can't build rigs for what you can buy them.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Buy one already built!!! It's fun to build up your own, but it is so much cheaper to buy one already done. With the money Ive spent on mine I could have bought such a sick rig, but right now it's just mediocre instead.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
mpleitez will become famous soon enough
mpleitez's Tacoma Gallery
AGREED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
It makes MUCH more sense to buy a dedicated trail rig. For the money you're talking, you could get a solid one, and not have to worry about your truck breaking and leaving you stranded when you need to go somewhere. Besides, it will save you money financially. You can't build rigs for what you can buy them.
^^^^^x10
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Dilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (AW)
Dilley's Tacoma Gallery
buy it and keep your tacoma.. you can slowly build up your tacoma while you are beating the piss out of a jeep..
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
buy one already built for sure
Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
TxPreRunner is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
TxPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Buy one
Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Definately buy another rig for the trails.

Buy a stock rig and build it the way you want it.

My husband and I had a 96 tacoma (daily driver) and put a mild lift on it and wheeled it for 3 years until we bought a stock Jeep YJ and built that and wheeled the piss out of it for 8 years and had some awesome times with it.
What happened to the 96 tacoma? We sold it and bought a Dodge Ram and a trailer so we could haul the Jeep just about anywhere, no regrets!!

Now that we don't wheel anymore....sold the trailer, sold the Dodge and got myself into my 07 tacoma. Sold the Jeep about 1.5 years ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I say put 10 into the Tacoma. Then spend the 5 on an already build yota pickup or 4runner.
^ he's got the right idea!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I would like to wheel in both. Sometimes you want a comfy 4x with power, heater, AC, nice seats, like our tacos. Then other times you want the beater for really crazy stuff. You can get sweet Toyota pick ups or 4 runners really hooked up for 5k. No need to drop 15k on a jeep.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
If the decision is to buy a second vehicle to be able to comfortably give some hell, I say go that route. Love driving in my truck but i know I hold back because well, ive got to use it EVERY day
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #18
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
85 4runner or pick up you can probably find one pretty cheap and with the left over money build up the runner if needed or save the money for when you break something

i know there is a 4runner around here for 900 i think, just no engine, but if your on a $15000 budget im sure you could find a pretty good motor

so youve really got a lot of options for a vehicle if your willing to spend that much money
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
buy a built truck. that way when you break it you still have your tacoma to drive

buying something built is sooooooo much cheaper. and just cause it's built doesn't mean you cant change stuff on it...