Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

4WD vs. Locker

Old 12-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
4WD vs. Locker

When would 4WD be required? What about the locker? Trying to decide if I need 4WD or a Prerunner... this is difficult!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
4wd OR....top shit!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdchic View Post
When would 4WD be required? What about the locker? Trying to decide if I need 4WD or a Prerunner... this is difficult!
It shouldn't be difficult... WHAT do you like to do??? Do you ever leave the highway and explore the backcountry? Do you ever go into snow or onto the beach (Baja or Pismo) or into the desert?

The weight of a pickup is over the front axle (unless loaded in the bed)... yet the drive tires are over the back empty bed... This has traction issues written all over!

Combine Part A & B & C below:

Part A)
You need traction to move ahead.
Traction occurs with contact between the tire and the earth.
Weight over the tire as well as good tire tread improves traction.

Part B)
2WD (Off Road PreRunner) puts torque to back tires only. Open differential means if one tire has more traction, the torque will go to the OTHER tire with less traction (spins).
A Rear Locker divides the torque equally between both back tires... both will rotate at the same speed.

Part C)
4WD puts torque to front tires and back tires. If '09 or newer, TRAC in H4 (high range) will limit the slip and divide the torque.
An Off Road 4WD also has TRAC in H4... but, in addition gives you A-TRAC in L4 (low range) and a locking rear differential.

So, will you ever be off road and want the ability to keep on moving in any condition?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
4WD FTW
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
4X4 is the way to go
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblit View Post
4X4 is the way to go
with a locker in rear....even better with front locker!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
I GOT MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!! (its 4WD)
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congrats!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Nice trdchic, you'll be happy with it!!!!!

Anyone know if you can add ATRAC to an 08 model? Basically this would add limited slip diff to the front right? I have the TRD off road model.

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Anyone know if you can add ATRAC to an 08 model? Basically this would add limited slip diff to the front right? I have the TRD off road model.
The short answer is no, you can't.

The slightly longer answer is: theoretically possible but no one knows how and it's less time, hassle and expense to add an ARB to the front.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
The short answer is no, you can't.

The slightly longer answer is: theoretically possible but no one knows how and it's less time, hassle and expense to add an ARB to the front.
^^^ what he said.... you would have to change major components of ABS - ARB a very good option - I have both and very rarely choose ATRAC over ARB!

Oh yeah, Call Chase at East Coast Gear Supply - best warranty in the biz - 5 years!!! www.eastcoastgearsupply.com. Of all the suppliers I know and have dealt with, regardless of product, he is the best.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Nice trdchic, you'll be happy with it!!!!!

Mike
A-TRAC is way more than limited slip... and it is front and rear, not just front.

Your Off Road with the rear locker will get you most everywhere... I had an '05 and '01 Off Road. The A-TRAC is just new technology that makes the truck drive as if it had lockers on the front and rear... It requires the hydraulic brake booster, rotation sensors, and electronics that makes 'adding' it like an after-market product pretty much out of the question. Just look forward to having it when you are ready for a new truck.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, appreciate it!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Thanks for recomending Chase..........he deserves it!
Regarding my comments about East Coast Gear Supply:

I don't do it 'cause he looks good.

I don't do it 'cause he's done anything for me that he wouldn't do for any other customer.

And I know a couple of his customers that have not been good to him - and he still will help those guys and stand behind that warranty and the products he sells.

I have spent years as a VP of an supplier of auto and truck parts and have been exposed to many guys in this 'supply chain' (as they call it) and he is by far the best supplier I have dealt with. I've dealt with many Class 8 (tractors) and all the big 3 (and Nissan) manufactures, dealers, after market, etc. so in my book his efforts have earned him my highest respect!

Oh yeah, I don't get a anything for my bloviating about him and wouldn't expect it. I know there are some folks on here that blather on about one supplier or another while they get sharp discounts or freebies (not knocking them - it just influences peoples decisions - that's not the case with me and ECGS).

:end rant:
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Defently, it's the North Carolinian in him
You don't mean this guy do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Ban Pending

I'm sorry I think that was a West Virginia squeal... Maybe it would have sounded more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXskL1MG8fg&NR=1
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Congrats! Pics?