Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

beginner off-road trails near Simi Valley, CA?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
NiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of light

NiceGuyEddie's Tacoma Gallery
beginner off-road trails near Simi Valley, CA?

i'm probably more than twice the age of most of you guys on the forum. i won't lie to you, my 4x4 is my first new vehicle. i'm not afraid to get the truck dirty, but i'm not after rock-crawling either.

looking for beginner trails in/near Simi Valley, CA. brand new to this stuff.

this is per the request of my nephew who has autism. he is dying to go off-roading. if you could point me towards the right place to go off-road you'd be helping me, and a kid with special needs.

there seems to be some sort of something off the Kuenher drive exit, by the "happy face hill". sometimes i see dirt bikes and quads there. is this a place where i can just pop in and drive around?

thank you and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
hey Eddie, unless you are 80 and still driving, then you can't possibly be twice my age... hahaha

welcome to wheeling...

there are a number of easy trails within an hour drive of Chino...

whichever route you decide to go, don't wheel alone... take at least another truck out with you in the event one of you gets into trouble or stuck or stranded...

even an easy trail can turn dangerous quickly given the "right" conditions...
Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

forgot to post some trails....

Lytle Creek is decent, but currently washed out due to rain and mud...

a little further up the I-15 is the Cleghorn...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Head up to Gorman would be your best bet. State run, $5, tons of trails, man made 4x4 practice area, park rangers out on patrol, etc.

There's really not any legal areas in Simi.

And right now it's going to be pretty muddy wherever you go.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
LT Chase Truck

oh yah, Simi Valley... i was looking at the OP's location, not the location of the nephew...

in that case, x2 on Gorman...
Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
NiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of light

mud is good!

i'll check out them trails when i am back in chino. i am away this weekend in simi, and many other weekends of course.

i am very surprised so far nobody knows a place near simi. i see all these diry jeeps around here, so i guess they drove pretty far?

the place off kuehner exit was private property, checked it out, open gate, nobody inside. i just drove in and turned around. i am sure i've seen people on quads in this little ditch/trail area. only about 2 acres or something.

maybe the people in there weren't supposed to be?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #7

where is gorman?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Gorman is up the I5 past Castaic. The town is Gorman but the off-road area is actually called Hungry Valley SVRA.

Another place closer is Rowher Flats. Its in Santa Clarita Valley. Its not as big as Hungry Valley. There are 2 4x4 only trails, but lots of areas for 2wd.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Gorman is like 15 or 20 minitues up the i5 and you exit smokey bear
Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #10

thanks!

that svra place looks perfect! i could not have found a place like that on my own w. google search

LQQKS like it similar to a ski resort, the trails are marked with difficulty.

now do i really need to go into 4x4? i imagine 2WD would be a wee more fun with turns and burnouts! (of course i'd be careful)
Old 12-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2wd will make it fine..i go up there all the time in a 2wd with lsd..the entrance is sorta hidden of the exit! my sig pic was taken there
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #12

this a dream come true! is it really $5 entry? the website isn't clear

is it really open 24/7? the website isn't clear.... OR too good to be true!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
this a dream come true! is it really $5 entry? the website isn't clear

is it really open 24/7? the website isn't clear.... OR too good to be true!
Yes it's $5. They also let military, cops, and firefighters in for free generally.

It's open 24/7.

If you're new, I would highly suggest going with a second vehicle and during the day. Avoid deep water if you value your truck.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
plus with the rain its probly muddy
Old 12-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #15

mud is good! it washes off, i hear

don't worry, i won't do anything crazy my first time out.

i hope it's not as addicting as drag racing and autocross, i've dumped over $40K in my Cobra Kit car!

i called them, the recorded message says it's open.

going the sunday after christmas.

thank you everyone, pat yourselves on the backs you are "smarter than google"!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I live in canoga park not to far from simi..I just got a 4wd tacoma a few months ago and really love it. its my first 4wd and first truck. I went to gorman like 1 month ago and it was lots of fun.. I highly recomend it..
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENIOR TACOROJO View Post
Well how was it?

And yes it is addicting! What ever you do don't ask for a ride in a longtravel truck lol

We do runs at gorman all the time, like once a month. Keep an eye on the so cal page for runs.

It was lots of fun.. I got addicted.. ha.. Yeah i saw you guys went there like a month a go but i couldnt make it.. I deff want to go.. So every how often do they go to gorman????
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
We do runs there a lot! I'm going to the big superstition meet this 14-16th, but I'm down for a run in Feb.

We usually do one every month, or every other. Sh@t even twice a month sometimes lol. We post them up in the socal page.