Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

5 gal air tank OK for airing up?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
5 gal air tank OK for airing up?

I have one, and was wondering if it would work for airing up? I understand that one could only expect one use, but would it work is what I wanna know. Would be nice to air down sometimes (even in 2-wheel).

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in this as well. Would be cool for someone who doesn't have an on-board air system.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't think that would get you far without some way to re pressurize it. You might get away with airing up 1 or 2 stock size tires but not if they were really down.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I wouldn't think that would get you far without some way to re pressurize it. You might get away with airing up 1 or 2 stock size tires but not if they were really down.
Oh yeah, kinda did not consider that. Would the TRD Bed inverter be able to power an air compressor? Something like a 3-5 gallon one?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear. How many tires are you able to reinflate with your 5 gal tank? Or do you have the compressor?

I also have a 700w inverter, so if I have to I'll buy a small compressor.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on tire size ad how much you air down. If you get a portable compressor, then you really don't need the tank.

The 700W invertor will put out aprrox. 5.8 Amps
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
Portable, battery powered air compressor FTW!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
You'd be lucky to get two tires done even if you're only going down ~10 psi in each. I just used one of these today and it took nearly two tanks to fill a 255 tire that was not all the way flat on a truck at work. Also, a tank that isn't permanently mounted can become a hazard on rough trails.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
R.O.U.S.
Thanks foe everyone's input... I'm gonna p/u a small compressor (A/C). My inverter'll run it!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
Thanks foe everyone's input... I'm gonna p/u a small compressor (A/C). My inverter'll run it!
Make sure it won't pull too many amps for your inverter.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
I got a $60 craftsman air compressor that plugs in at the lighter and it works great plenty of hose to reach airs up fast for how small it is and it fits in the storage compartment behind the seat in my double cab.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a OBA set up more pictures in my build. I find that even at 150 psi in a 2.5 gallon tank it isnt even good enough to go from 5 to 25 psi, I also have a 66% duty cycle compressor from harbor freight thats not to greaet as well

Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Ive got a OBA set up more pictures in my build. I find that even at 150 psi in a 2.5 gallon tank it isnt even good enough to go from 5 to 25 psi, I also have a 66% duty cycle compressor from harbor freight thats not to greaet as well

I like the set up, however, how did you mount it to the truck?? How does the electric stuff keep from getting wet?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought this Air Compressor & it works well with the OEM 400watt Inverter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-97080.html
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmas Computer View Post
Dude thats a perfect idea! I'm doin that tomorrow
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPower05 View Post
I like the set up, however, how did you mount it to the truck?? How does the electric stuff keep from getting wet?
I have a "water resistant" portable compressor mounted to the front bumper support, it gets wet but ive never had a problem, what im going to do when i get an aftermarket bumper and mount it somewhere in the engine bay.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post

that looks awesome but is the tank too close to the exhaust? or does that not matter?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #17

it doesnt matter IMO, the exhaust doesnt get too hot at that point, and the tank has not been effected for about 6 months of use.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
sounds good

that seems like the best location ever then

Products Discussed in this Thread