1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

locking rear differential?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by tgtech570, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    tgtech570

tgtech570 [OP] Member

Member:
    Canton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L V6 4x4
    Ok, I'm new here, but I've had 4x4 Tacomas for several years. My most recent Taco is an 02' with the locking rear differential feature. This may be a dumb question, but why might I need rear lock differential if I have 4 wheel drive? I thought this feature was more for the pre-runners?

Elwing likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    4 wheel drive is 2 wheel drive in reality.
    2 wheel drive is 1 wheel drive in reality.
    4 wheel drive with a locker front or rear is actually 3 wheel drive.
    or locker front and rear is actually the true definaition of 4 wheel drive.

Have I confused you yet?

3. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    thebikeguy

thebikeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC/SB TRD OR PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85, Satoshi grill
    Brie likes this.
  4. Jan 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Good morning and welcome!

You do have 4WD... and if the surface under the 4 tires was equal and all else was in perfect balance, each tire would be pulling you forward.

However, in the 'real world' where conditions are never ideal or perfect... and one of the two tires per axles can spin easier than the other, IT will get the torque and the tire on firm ground that can actually move you doesn't. This is normal 'open differentials' working so your truck can steer easily. When turning, one tire must rotate more than the other, afterall.

So, is slushy snow, mud, sand or loose rocks... you can get stuck and you will see one front and one rear tire spinning.

4WD is double the traction of 2WD because you have torque going to at least one front and one rear tire. The front has the engine over it, so that is an aid to traction as well. Still, the tire(s) that can spin the easiest gets the torque (rotation energy).

LIMITED SLIP differentials reduce the excess spinning of a loose tire so more energy can go to the traction tire. They use clutches or other mechanisms inside the differential. On '05-'08 Sport TRD Tacomas

TRACION CONTROL uses spin sensors and the brakes to slow a spinning tire down and transfer torque. On all '09+ Tacomas.

The REAR LOCKER locks together the left and right tire so the torque is equal... If one is in the air or on slushy ground, it will not rotate more than the tire on firm ground. This is a great aid to traction and ability to move you ahead. Obviously, steering is more difficult, so the locker use should be limited to getting through or up difficult places, un stuck, and turned off ASAP. On all Off Road TRD Tacomas

After market FRONT lockers are added on for real serious trail riding... all four tires rotating the same speed no matter what type of terrain is under them.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) is available on '09+ 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas. It uses tire spin sensors and a hydraulic brake booster to brake a loose tire harder than the standard TRAC system and nearly match it with a traction tire to provide the traction of front and rear lockers, but without affecting steering.

Enjoy the 4WD plus Rear Locker... You will find that you can out climb and go beyond where your open rear differential 4WD could not.

5. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    tgtech570

tgtech570 [OP] Member

Member:
    Canton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L V6 4x4
    Wow! all this info is enough to make your head spin. I'm really glad I'm not an engineer/ rocket scientist or I'd be up all night with a headache...Thanks for all of the explanations, I understand better now, and why changing my differential fluid may be a good idea!

Stryker420 and Brie like this.
  6. Jan 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

That is very good explication bravo:)

7. Jan 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Gracias!

8. Jan 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

This guy has forgotten more about A-trac ( & any other letter that ends in -Trac ) than I'll ever know... he knows what he's talking about...:cool:

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  9. Jan 7, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah DavidK is always "the man" on these issues.

Brie likes this.
  10. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    DId i miss something how come in every thread David K is always getting bagged on :anonymous:.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  11. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    ahhh ok :)

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  12. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Oh hell no, David K is my AARP partner in crime !! He's done his home work, he knows his stuff pretty well. re read my quote....

David K likes this.
  13. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Knowledge is king...

Way too many people who work for Toyota sales are not informed or don't do the informing on traction controls they should.

Way too many people buy a Sport or who would have bought an Off Road if they were informed correctly.

I hope to catch buyers before it is too late and they regret not getting the truck with the most traction features. Also, to help those who have the Off Road but don't realize what the traction controls do and maybe save them some money?

There is nothing wrong with the Sport if you want a sport truck. There is something wrong with salesmen who don't know their product line and mislead buyers.

When I traded my '05 for the '10, I didn't know it had A-TRAC... I had seen an early version of A-TRAC tested in Ocotillo Wells by the factory or magazine personal using an A-TRAC equipped Lexus... about 2001. They had the lexus strapped to another vehicle (there were three), and intentionally burried it in the sand.

They unhooked it from the anchor vehicle in back after it was down to the hubs in the sand at Devil's Slide. Then the Lexus (with A-TRAC activated) climbed out on its own power from being stuck. It was awesome... It took Toyota 8 more years before they put A-TRAC on the Tacoma, with Lexus, Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and FJ Cruiser getting before us.

A year ago, on my new truck's first trip to Baja, I was blown away by how much better it drove on the beach than my previous Tacomas with standard 4WD. The Trac in H4 was amazing... then I turned off the Trac and VSC in H4, and the truck got stuck (because the tires were at 32 psi).

Remembering the A-TRAC test I saw 9 years earlier, I turned on the A-TRAC and gave it some gas, the Tacoma climbed out of the stuck without my clearing away sand or deflating the tires.

It was a special moment... ;)

From that point, I felt the need to share this 'secret' Toyota was keeping about the A-TRAC (and the TRAC in H4)... It was just too good to not talk about it!!

m603holden, Rooblik and Brie like this.
  14. Jan 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:

Well i wish i would have seen this post about 4 years ago or yes i would have bought the off road version. So to make up for my mistake i will have to put Arb lockers in both diffs :).

15. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Good idea! You will love the idea that no matter what is under your tires, all 4 will still rotate!!!

Brie likes this.
  16. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    TacO1O

TacO1O Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Balto Co.
    Vehicle:
    10 V6 Access
    UWS Low profile alumnium cross truck box. WeatherTech digital fit floormats Black
    I've got a 2010 TacO Access Cab, V6 not SR5, no rear Diff lock.
    Pre Owned, Picked it up w/ 8k mi. on it.
    Got 26k now.

Wheres the best place to get a Stock Tacoma Diff lock, or should I go with something like an ARB air locker?

I've got a few friends that crawl, but they rock modded YJ, TJ's, CJ's etc. I'm just an every day driver that wants a little more out of my vehicle.

17. Feb 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Air locker.

18. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    I have question I recently installed arb front and back. If i am on the freeway and i accidently engage the rear with my knee doing 50-60 on freeway is that a problem?

19. Feb 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    BVCOTaco

BVCOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    You would first have to turn the air compressor on to activate the ARB lockers, so most likely you would have to bump 2 switches. At least that was how my ARB system was set up in my old Jeep. This is the sequence I had to complete to activate the lockers:
    1. Turn on the air compressor switch
    2. Push the switch for the rear lockers
    3. Once the rear lockers were engaged, I could turn on the switch for the front locker

If I just flipped the locker switch without first turning on the air compressor it would not lock anything in.

So you should be fine as long as you don't leave the compressor switch engaged.

20. Feb 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    If it were my truck I'd relocate that switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top