Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Most important armor...

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
gordynor is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
gordynor's Tacoma Gallery
Most important armor...

So I'm 4 weeks into my new 2011 Taco. I've done a lot of mods found here on the forums already (BFG AT 265/75R16, rear TSB, Bilsein 5100, OBA, diff breather, tailgate lock, CB, etc - all pretty basic/standard for the most part). The next step for me is to re-route my exhaust and begin adding armor.

Question: if you had to choose only one piece of armor (to start with), and you already had the [POS] TRD OR front skid, what's the very next piece of armor you'd add? Let's assume it's the only armor I put on for a while... what's most important?

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say a better IFS skid. Thats the first area to take a hit. The AllPro one I have basically replaces your factory IFS and engine skid in one piece. They are still discounted at $150. I also got the transmission skid for $89 after member discount.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I second the sliders! the underbody by the doors is pretty vulnerable. Especially if you have a double cab. I wish i would have gotten actual sliders instead of the N-fabs
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the truck. Are you going to the superstition meet? I'm sure there would be tons of stuff you can check out there and socialize with a bunch of Tacomians. See you around the city.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i third sliders, they are pretty important for wheeling
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
I'd say a better IFS skid. Thats the first area to take a hit. The AllPro one I have basically replaces your factory IFS and engine skid in one piece. They are still discounted at $150. I also got the transmission skid for $89 after member discount.
Whats the usual price for the Allpro?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders are a must if you are going to do any type of wheeling stock or lifted.
IMHO this is the order of importance
1. Sliders
2. IFS skid
3. Transfer case skid
4. Transmission case skid
5. Gas tank skid
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders and Skid plates...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
id say sliders. if ur smart enough, when wheelin u can avoid front and rear bumper damage. sliders help so much.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Skid plates will protect the most expensive component of the truck that if damaged would leave you stranded. If you're just cruising fire roads, though, this isn't likely to become an issue.

Sliders will protect you from extremely expensive cosmetic and sometimes functional damage to your cab, doors, door frames, etc. Again, on fire roads, this isn't so much an issue.

Bumpers will protect you from the most likely (and cheapest) bumps and bruises and increase your approach/departure angle. Bumpers can save you on the trail, on fireroads, on paved roads, and even in freakin' parking lots!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
As always, you guys rock! Thanks so much for the opinions. I'm not sure the answer is clear though. I was thinking sliders were the clear answer through the first several posts but Mxpatriot makes a really good point about skids... I can get home w dents, but not if I catch something like the tranny. On the other hand, I'm probably more likely to *need* the sliders before the skids - I'll wheel it harder as it gets older.

Let's say I decide on skids... I can't afford to add plating to the entire underbelly today. Which is the most important piece? Should I go for a tranny skid since I already have the OEM skid in the front (at least its something...)?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynor View Post
As always, you guys rock! Thanks so much for the opinions. I'm not sure the answer is clear though. I was thinking sliders were the clear answer through the first several posts but Mxpatriot makes a really good point about skids... I can get home w dents, but not if I catch something like the tranny. On the other hand, I'm probably more likely to *need* the sliders before the skids - I'll wheel it harder as it gets older.

Let's say I decide on skids... I can't afford to add plating to the entire underbelly today. Which is the most important piece? Should I go for a tranny skid since I already have the OEM skid in the front (at least its something...)?

I would advise light wheeling until you can get sliders and skids in place.

Also, what are your suspension plans? A good set of armor is going to add 350-400 pounds to your truck, the majority of it towards the front...the stock front suspension will have some trouble handling that...you're going to want to look into upgrades.

No, armor is not cheap. But if you can ill afford spending money on the truck, wheeling may not be for you. Even with the proper equipment, this passtime tends to get expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Since your's is a 4x4 I think I would go with a transfer-case skid. Tacos don't come with one stock right?
It comes with something Toyota tries to call a t-case skid, which in actuality is a piece of tin foil that will get fucked up along with your t-case.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
Ok, so several of you mentioned "suspension upgrades" to carry the armor... I've got Bilstein 5100's coming in this week and the rear TSB being done tomorrow. Do you mean an upgrade over that? I'll do a 3" lift (yada yada) in a few eyars, but for now the TSB and the 1.75 setting on the 5100's is all I have planned.

And to the comment about this being an expensive hobby... I've had 4 Jeep's in my time so far. I'm well acquainted with the spend. :-) I'm not shying away from it, just not ready to do it at this exact moment.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #20
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
sliders are deff the first thing. the factory "skids" will workish until you can afford ATO or Bud Built skids. then bumpers are last.