LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

San Diego east county Pancake Rock

Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #41
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanDad View Post
I'm getting a 2011 Taco TRD OR, DC, 4x4 with the locking rear, ATRAC, etc. I'm in Chula Vista.

*thanks for your help, btw
Depending on your skill level (what I mean is some guys are experienced wheelers in new trucks & some are new to it in new trucks)

You can do alot of the desert (too damned hot for me in the day time) & a few trails in Corral Canyon OHV (off Buckman Springs rd. towards Lake Morena) Pine Valley (pre runner friendly) But first thing I'd do before wheeling it anywhere is take off those mudflaps you're sure to have attached to your truck & put them away till your done..

Otay Mnt. isn't a trail though,its a dirt driveway

If you go to the SoCal region of this forum you can stay up to date on any runs we have coming up
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #42
BmanDad is on a distinguished road
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Depending on your skill level (what I mean is some guys are experienced wheelers in new trucks & some are new to it in new trucks)

You can do alot of the desert (too damned hot for me in the day time) & a few trails in Corral Canyon OHV (off Buckman Springs rd. towards Lake Morena) Pine Valley (pre runner friendly) But first thing I'd do before wheeling it anywhere is take off those mudflaps you're sure to have attached to your truck & put them away till your done..

Otay Mnt. isn't a trail though,its a dirt driveway

If you go to the SoCal region of this forum you can stay up to date on any runs we have coming up
Thanks again! So you all are ok with first time off roaders going along with you?!?!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #43
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanDad View Post
Thanks again! So you all are ok with first time off roaders going along with you?!?!

Absolutely, got to get your feet wet sometime....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #44
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard...

Where's that video of my 2010 A-TRAC Taco climbing 'One Tri Hill'?

Only 4WD (Doug) and I did the climb, and all the others watched... Most of them were either Sports or 2WDs, and I think that's why... surely it wasn't an age thing (Doug and I are over 50)? LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #45
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

Mike330R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I found a youtube of a jeep and a chevy doing the pancake rock trail. Doug, not that I ever doubted you, but the video confirms everything you have told us about that trail. Extremely rough trail Also, it appears that after you climb up the trail connects to Forest Route 16S03 which winds its way over to Carveacre Rd and ultimately gets you to Japatul Road which makes for a really nice big loop trail.

I like the video of them climbing up the steep pancake rock feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfiPr5Cmi4U

Hey, that's my video! And my Chevy

This is a great trail!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #46
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

More pic's HERE and HERE

Couple from those links:

This is the base of the rock:
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #47
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
That was your Chevy in that vid with Sean & his brother Dan (i think his name is) ??

That fucker sounds good, nothing like wheeling a full size rig up thru some narrow shit !! I've only been up it once but that trail will bite you in the ass hard if you aren't paying attention it is a fun trail just need some armor before going up it again , my rockers are already bashed enough

So am I lying about this trail ??
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #48

It's a 'rough' dirt road

Yes I think that was Sean, I met him through the SCUFF forums.

I want to go again once I get sliders but I think it's doable without.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #49
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330R View Post
It's a 'rough' dirt road

Yes I think that was Sean, I met him through the SCUFF forums.

I want to go again once I get sliders but I think it's doable without.
Yeah I'd say since you've shot it a couple times & lifted 1st gen would be ok, I've added 3" to the rear since I went up it so I might try it without sliders , it got me once, not too bad though

Have you been past the rock down further, looked pretty tore up when I saw it & that was kinda before the rain..
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #50

I have not been in a couple years.
Yes have been past the rock. IIRC it's rough (and a narrow spot) for just a bit past the rock then gets easier. And dead ends into a grassy/tree/rock area.

This is towards the end:
Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #51
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Doug was it you that was saying this was closed and is now re-opened?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #52
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Doug was it you that was saying this was closed and is now re-opened?

No , but I remember SOMEONE saying it was closed, just can't remember who, I will say that me & leo took a quick cruise out there couple months ago but it was at night & I don't think I'd do it at night until i did it a couiple more times in the day, anyway we turned right up to the starting point & it looked gnarly as hell, seemed like way more erosion than the last time, the first 30ft of that trail will have you mumbling to yourself , seriously, deep/offset wicked ass ruts & its like that more than 2/3 the way up to Pancake (which is def. worth getting to) its like a mini lions back in Moab, way shorter but way steeper I think. It's only about 1.75-2 miles but it takes a couple hours to get there if that tells you anything

It's a very fun yet confusing kind of a trail, like driving thru a fun house at the carnival, weird twisty angles & you can forget about picking a good line, its pick the best of the worst on this one, but the view from the top is amazing....

You thinking of doing it ??
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #53
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
No , but I remember SOMEONE saying it was closed, just can't remember who, I will say that me & leo took a quick cruise out there couple months ago but it was at night & I don't think I'd do it at night until i did it a couiple more times in the day, anyway we turned right up to the starting point & it looked gnarly as hell, seemed like way more erosion than the last time, the first 30ft of that trail will have you mumbling to yourself , seriously, deep/offset wicked ass ruts & its like that more than 2/3 the way up to Pancake (which is def. worth getting to) its like a mini lions back in Moab, way shorter but way steeper I think. It's only about 1.75-2 miles but it takes a couple hours to get there if that tells you anything

It's a very fun yet confusing kind of a trail, like driving thru a fun house at the carnival, weird twisty angles & you can forget about picking a good line, its pick the best of the worst on this one, but the view from the top is amazing....

You thinking of doing it ??
ya we, or a few of us, we will bring leo too, in your truck or mine, I havent been there in years, and kinda hankering for more local trails, our gold session is officially over this year so its time for my pinstriping
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #54

It's is a very fun 'road'. I did it a month ago in my unlocked Tacoma.

Had to get a few poser shots

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #55
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Heres looking down for anyone who's never seen it...

Look at the face/angle ... that IS the angle too...haha ass pucker moments

it sure is fun tho' Now the gate was open when we went just don't know if its open/doable or open /un doable, or if its closed further up, which I'd hope not because theres nowhere to turn around..haha

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #56
WOOOT! its open...wait, you went the whole length in open diffs? Impressive..
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
I see a gopro adventure in our future Doug.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #59

Lots of skinny pedal. Looking forward to trying it again once the locker is installed. Will be headed up in a few weeks for a test run.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #60
lockers are sooo awesome to have, the E-locker is nice but the ARB in the front is one click away. I use mine all the time, keeps from beating the hell out of the truck.