Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Auto-Taco-Sand

Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
fishhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
fishhead's Tacoma Gallery
Auto-Taco-Sand

Well, my left knee is acting up, and I was wondering what you folks think about how well an automatic tranny will do on the sand?

Now, it's not just any sand, but Assateague sand, which is nothing like Daytona sand!

I love manual transmissions, and have driven them exclusively since the early 80s, but if an automatic is pretty good on the sand then I am game.

What I DON'T want, is to buy my very first Taco and then have to trade it in just to switch from a manual to an auto if (or when) the knee tells me enough is enough

Thanks for any feedback in advance ... I am looking to buy my Taco no later than the end of February, so I've entered the "information gathering phase" before pulling the trigger

Regards,
Bob
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The auto trans does great in all situations. If you need it to hold a gear just pop it down to that gear and it will stay no matter what.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
hillbilly ways, outlaw style
Rebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebeltac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: joby
Rebeltac's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

my auto is awesome all the time like he said
Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure what Assateague sand is but a auto trans with 4wd and the rear diff locker does great on sand. Just lower your air pressure to 15 psi and you can go up most sand dunes.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
fishhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
fishhead's Tacoma Gallery
Assateague sand is usually very soft. Some say it's the most difficult sand there is to drive on. I've only done Hatteras sand, which is very similar.

Thanks for the info though!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Works better IMO... Less chance of spinning a tire and getting stuck! All three of my Tacos are/ were autos. and deep sand was the primary 4WD use!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Works better IMO... Less chance of spinning a tire and getting stuck! All three of my Tacos are/ were autos. and deep sand was the primary 4WD use!
x2, autos are a bit better in sand since you can effectively "slip" the clutch without actually hurting it like you would with a manual which helps in starting off in deep sand.

I usually just dump the clutch in 4wd and sit there waiting for it to grip lol.