Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Water Depth?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Finsterino will become famous soon enoughFinsterino will become famous soon enough
Finsterino's Tacoma Gallery
Water Depth?

On a later model Taco, the air intake seems to be above the wheel well. But besides not wanting to suck water in, how is the rest of the engine for water intrusion?

Are the plugs and high voltage circuits sealed with something like silicone goop?

Should I be able to drive thru water that reaches the top of tires without stalling?

What is your experience?

TNX
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Since the truck wasn't designed to drive in water, I doubt Toyota took anytime to consider totally waterproofing the engine or electronics. That's why it has a hood on it..... The items that really need to be protected (computer) are inside the cab.

If you find yourself wanting to drive in water a lot - then you're only asking for trouble either immediately (hydrolocking the engine) or down the road (worn out bearings, leaking seals, smelly carpet, electronics corroding, etc).

I don't think there's anyway of totally waterproofing everything....and if you could, is it really worth it? Just stay outta the water!

Like Silverback07 already said.... depending on the terrain, you could easily drop a tire into a hole and you can easily splash water up into the intake at any given moment depending on how you're driving. It only takes a little bit of water to get into ONE cylinder to hydrolock the engine.

If you do stall when fording water...DO NOT TURN THAT KEY!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to consider is extending the breathers on both diffs and the transmission (if an auto). Get some water in there and you'll end up with a nice milky mess and your gears will really dislike you. If water gets in your transmission you'll potentially be looking at a very expensive repair, in upwards of $6000 for a new tranny is what I've seen.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was in my friends Tacoma ( he has a snorkle) and the water was lapping up onto the windshield. We were kinda freaked, but no damage was done, the truck made it accross, and all he did later was change out his fluids.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I believe the front diff, transfer case and transmission are already extended. Take a look under the hood and you will see them on the drivers side of the motor. The transfer case and transmission share one and the other is for front diff. The rear however is not, I have extended mine up into one of the side pockets in the bed.
On the FJ Cruiser the transmission is NOT extended. There is a guy up here in WA that had to have his trans replaced after going through some deep water. I believe it is the front diff and transfer case that are extended. It might be different on the Tacoma but I doubt it. Might want to verify the trans and transfer case share one.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
The TW 1%
Quote:
Well I stand corrected. Neither of those vents under the hood go to the transmission NOR the transfer case. One is for the front diff and one is for the locker actuator that runs all the way from the back of the truck. Apparently the trans breather is in a bolt at the highest point on the trans (total pain to extend) and the transfer case extends out on top of the transmission. Learn something every day.
Well,

I just finished extending all of my breathers. I'm not sure about the Tacoma's but on my FJ the Transmission, transfer case breathers were attached on the backside of the engine and a total PIA to get to and I mean a real PIA. My rear diff and e-locker actuator breathers were very low The rear diff being on the 3rd member and the e-locker one was attached to a cross member. The front diff and another breather were extended into the engine compartment, well not anymore. They are now at the same height as the transmission and transfer case breathers. My water traversing depth is now limited by my intake height. Looks like a snorkel is in order...
Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Well,

I just finished extending all of my breathers. I'm not sure about the Tacoma's but on my FJ the Transmission, transfer case breathers were attached on the backside of the engine and a total PIA to get to and I mean a real PIA. My rear diff and e-locker actuator breathers were very low The rear diff being on the 3rd member and the e-locker one was attached to a cross member. The front diff and another breather were extended into the engine compartment, well not anymore. They are now at the same height as the transmission and transfer case breathers. My water traversing depth is now limited by my intake height. Looks like a snorkel is in order...
I like where your head is at!!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i almost bought a tacoma with a snorkel. it was a 97 and had 235,000 on it. 4x4 with a shell but i decided not to buy it. i figured that the thing had seen to much abuse .
Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
The TW 1%
Quote:
I've already extended my rear diffs... just need to work on trans and transfer case. Whereabouts on back of engine where they? From what I've read (cant verify without some serious time spent under the truck.. I've looked just can't verify) the trans and t-case are way under the transmission between trans and floorpan. Is this the case on FJ's?
Ok. This is what I determined on the FJ. The transmission breather starts off on the passenger side of the transmission and comes up to a 90 degree bend (maybe 1" off the trans) then heads towards the front of the rig. It ends up on the drivers side of the rig bolted to the head (see attached pic). The transfer case breather is located further down behind the engine and you can reach it with some skinny arms. Pop the hood and climb up on the drivers side, reach back behind the engine. If you have an inspection mirror get it on the passenger side and look around for a breather and have a friend or yourself feel around for it while the other tells you where to put your hand. Let me tell you I had a hard time reaching it but I did and it was just clipped in to a little clip. I unclipped it and it slid down quite well to the drivers side I was able to pull the breather and feed the extension tube down from the top. I was able to get them both connected under the rig and pull it buck up. The transmission one was a bitch to put it mildly. I was able to reach in behind the engine and get the clip undone with one hand (again not easy). The hard part was getting the tubing off the fixed nipple and reconnecting it to and extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Depth?-breather.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been looking into a snorkle (hey you never know right?)... but they dont make a kit for it.. you have to fab your own with a kit from a Hiliux. Its close to being a "next mod". I just dont see that much water. http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tec...o_snorkel.html

That's a nice looking Taco!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
but they dont make a kit for it.. you have to fab your own with a kit from a Hiliux. Its close to being a "next mod". I just dont see that much water.
You cant do much worse than mine:

Exhaust is home made, as is much of the intake.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
What are the dimensions on that thing?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
that thing looks like a vent on top of an 8 hole shit house. so,It must work like a frickin champ.
LMAO!!!! It does. I was going thru some 6-7 foot deep water (going down the middle of a river), and I just folded the windshield forward, and locked the throttle and sat on the seat back. A buddy of mine took my picture from the top of a small cliff he was on. Looks pretty cool. From the angle he took the photo, you just see my head and shoulders and the snorkle sticking out of the water. In front of me about 8 feet you see the wake from the front of the truck. I had the top off at the time. I take the top off when doing serious off roading.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You cant do much worse than mine:

Exhaust is home made, as is much of the intake.
Where do ya keep that thing? up in flag?
Address preferably and I assume the keys are left in it for fellow TW members in the area?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Where do ya keep that thing? up in flag?
Address preferably and I assume the keys are left in it for fellow TW members in the area?
LOL, Not in Flag. And it doesnt take a key. Its ex-military, so there is a botton some place

Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LMAO!!!! It does. I was going thru some 6-7 foot deep water (going down the middle of a river), and I just folded the windshield forward, and locked the throttle and sat on the seat back. A buddy of mine took my picture from the top of a small cliff he was on. Looks pretty cool. From the angle he took the photo, you just see my head and shoulders and the snorkle sticking out of the water. In front of me about 8 feet you see the wake from the front of the truck. I had the top off at the time. I take the top off when doing serious off roading.

This is very close to being the most badass thing I have heard in a long time.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
This is very close to being the most badass thing I have heard in a long time.
Its a fun 4x4.