Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2wd to 4wd Conversion: Feasible?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
agarner59 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
agarner59's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2wd to 4wd Conversion: Feasible?

I'm a new Tacoma owner, but have always loved the trucks. I purchased 2010 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab in Aug 2010. Great truck. I opted out of 4wd for budget reasons, but think I'll be interested in some light-moderate off-roading in the future. Does anyone have any idea about the cost and difficulty associated with the 2wd --> 4wd conversion?

Other additions may include a cold air intake and cat back exhaust for improved fuel economy and power. And maybe the supercharger if I get crazy.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Trade and buy the 4wd. The headaches and cost outweigh the benefits
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Cmatt1605 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cmatt1605's Tacoma Gallery
are you planing to do the work yourself?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmatt1605 View Post
are you planing to do the work yourself?
No, I'd have it done professionally. A friend of mine that does light transmission work said it shouldn't be too difficult if I could get factory parts, that it should bolt right on. I'd also like to be able to install factory controls if possible.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
New hubs, spindles, Transfercase, front diff, front drive shaft, rear drive shaft.. im prob missing a few more things, but i'd trade it in and get a true 4wd. Unless you can get a sick deal off all the items from a totaled 4WD in a junkyard and you are good mechanic with your tools.... Gonna cost a lot if you get a shop do it for you... Just trade for a 4wd
Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Trade and buy the 4wd. The headaches and cost outweigh the benefits
X2 end of discussion.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarner59 View Post
I'll be interested in some light-moderate off-roading in the future.
Therein lies the dilemma. If you wanted to build a hardcore rock-crawling rig, a Prerunner would be an acceptable starting point, because you'd be gutting the truck to install a solid front axle, crawler transfer case and new driveshafts anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarner59 View Post
No, I'd have it done professionally. A friend of mine that does light transmission work said it shouldn't be too difficult if I could get factory parts, that it should bolt right on. I'd also like to be able to install factory controls if possible.
This is where it can get really pricey too. If you are trying to order all the factory parts and switches rather than buying after market stuff, you will be paying high dollar. And I'm not sure, but I don't think everything will just bolt in, although 80% of the truck is the same, I think you will have to do some mods to get the parts to fit (can an expert verify).
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing for a Prerunner, IMHO. Get teh T-case from an FJ (its a manual T-case ), and the rest is an easy romove and replace. Quite a few people have done this, and if you source the parts from a junk yard, the cost should be quite afordable.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Trade it in! Cost is way to much for benefit...
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Thanks for the input guys. I found a how-to on TTORA.com. It seems like more of a headache than I'm prepared to deal with. I may revisit the idea once I'm ready to replace the taco as my primary vehicle.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Trade in before your truck depreciates anymore. It's what, and extra 3-4 grand for 4x4 isn't it? not too sure, but I'm going to go ahead and say that doing a swap would be more than that and won't take as long as finding the parts and swapping them out, JMO
Old 01-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Trade in before your truck depreciates anymore. It's what, and extra 3-4 grand for 4x4 isn't it? not too sure, but I'm going to go ahead and say that doing a swap would be more than that and won't take as long as finding the parts and swapping them out, JMO
You can get all the parts for less than that. Some have done the conversion for less than $1000, on first gens. But, if you consider putting a lift on a vehicle "hard", then you dont want to try to convert to 4x4 yourself.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Best thing for a Prerunner, IMHO. Get teh T-case from an FJ (its a manual T-case ), and the rest is an easy romove and replace. Quite a few people have done this, and if you source the parts from a junk yard, the cost should be quite afordable.
What about all the wiring/electrical crap? I could care less about having a 4x4 indicator light or anything like that. I just want my Taco to be 4x4 with a manual transfercase.

Any chance you'd have a link to anyone doing this?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
What about all the wiring/electrical crap? I could care less about having a 4x4 indicator light or anything like that. I just want my Taco to be 4x4 with a manual transfercase.

Any chance you'd have a link to anyone doing this?
Check on TTORA. A few guys on there have done it, and I think one guy is in the process of doing it on a budget.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. Did a quick search and didn't find a thread where someone actually did it on the '05+, just people asking about it. I'll give it a try again when I get out of class.