Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

AZ offroading trip Today!!! 1/26

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
AZ offroading trip Today!!! 1/26

I am in the area for work and have today off and I am bored.

I'm thinking of doing a trail run today. I am currently in Phoenix but will be in
Sierra Vista tonight. So I am thinking of doing something here or maybe doing Chivo Falls just outside of Tucson on my way to SV Anyone else bored with nothing to do and want to join me? Or show me something cool?

Update, Had a great time in Arizona. Got to see the Coke Ovens. Prety tough trail. I would rate it 3.5/5 overall dificulty with a few lines or wrong turns which quickly make it a 4-4.5/5 difficulty.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
maybe go see the coke ovens? that looks pretty cool...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Of course I have to work today
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Had an awesome adventure today in the area outside of Florence. We made it to the Coke Ovens. It's pretty easy to get "lost" out there literally and figuratively. Some beautiful country out there. Pics to follow.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Some guys I work with invited me to do this trail not this weekend but the next...how difficult is it?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #6

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Some guys I work with invited me to do this trail not this weekend but the next...how difficult is it?
it all depends. 4x4 is a must...

expect to scrape front and rear bumper. expect pin striping.

I wound up taking a couple harder routes. I wound up crossing some river to get out. I dont think a longer wheelbase would have made it down the bank to the stream. I will post pics. They are currently loading to photobucket...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
do you go up through box canyon? if you go through box canyon it gets pretty hairy. a couple miles after the canyon you get to the stairs. and i highly recommend sliders for this unless your lifted. im not sure if my truck could make it, but i would definatly like to try!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #8

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
do you go up through box canyon? if you go through box canyon it gets pretty hairy. a couple miles after the canyon you get to the stairs. and i highly recommend sliders for this unless your lifted. im not sure if my truck could make it, but i would definatly like to try!
I came in from the north. Mineral mt road to box canyon. I think the Stairs are actually on mineral mt. there was a group of sidexsides who told me that i should turn around and not try it...but i showed them!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
do you have lockers by chance? i want to find some people off this site to go wheelin with. i know tons of placed just north of east mesa
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i have TRAC. the electronic LSD front and rear. it works great but i will be getting a lockright for the rear soon. im only in the area for a couple days though...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #11

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #12

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery

Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #13

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery

Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #14

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
picture overload!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #15

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on making another trip here someday. Hope I can get a nice run together. There is a lot of trails in this area. Anyone know if camping is allowed???
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone know if camping is allowed???
Yes ,camping is allowed. Arizona public land at it's best.

See any critters? Deer ? Javelina? Sasquatch (LOL < JK).

Azbackcountry
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics! Any going up the staircase? Also where did you find the stream? Was there an annoying amount of sidexsides and quads in the middle of the week? lol
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #18

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RedComa View Post
Nice pics! Any going up the staircase? Also where did you find the stream? Was there an annoying amount of sidexsides and quads in the middle of the week? lol
I could have made it up the staircase. But I don't know if I'd try it with any longer wheelbase. I hit both front and rear bumpers and they are high clearance. If I didn't cut my fenders down I would have had rear quarter damage. Coming back from the ovens there is a trail to the right that goes down. It looked like a short cut out so I followed it. I saw a couple 4wheelers and they said the water was too deep to cross it'd be suicide for a truck. It was about 2' deep no big deal at all. It dumped onto Cochran rd to some road to the 79.

The only annoying thing about the sudexsides and four wheelers is they kept telling me to turn around because I'd never make it further.

At one point they all stopped and were trying to pick a line at a ledge and I went around them all. They kept screaming at me that I was gonna get stuck or destroy my "running boards" . At one point I yelled back and said relax! It wasn't even that bad. Never hit my belly. Sliders got a good workout though... It was a tough trail but super fun. One lesson to be learned for the four wheelers is don't underestimate the power of a tacoma
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the photos Roland... Looks awesome!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #20

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
It was awesome. Great place to see. Great place to spend a few days. Lots to see