Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Know thy enemy! Read if you care about your trails!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Know thy enemy! Read if you care about your trails!

Do you ever stop and think about how much you enjoy the off road experience? Ever think about who is against you and your off road trails?

Take a minute and think about it, please!

How organized and how involved are you? Do you know any information about your DNR and their involvement in your favorite recreation areas?

Can you answer these questions?

Do you know the Sierra Club's stance on OHV use? Do you know how good they are at influencing their members? How about how well funded they are and how much they spend on lobbying to work against you?

I read a financial review of their operating budget a few years ago and then over 50% of their budget went into influencing public policy! I just did a google search and according to the BBB the Sierra Clubs expenses for the 2008 Year are as follows.

Studying and influencing public policy: $46,583,000

Information and education: $10,335,100

Outdoor activities: $8,527,300

Chapter allocations: $640,500

Total program expenses: $66,085,900

Now, I'm not that good at math but my numbers now show that 70% of their expenses... Almost $47 million dollars goes into Influencing public policy...

I posted the following in the Northwest regions.

Quote:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,
Wow. Did you know that if you build an off-road vehicle park in the middle of a state forest, it won't make an environmental impact?

Sounds crazy, I know. But the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is saying just that. They are trying to argue that the state can build a park for off-road vehicles in the middle of Reiter Foothills State Forest without having to study the project first to learn how it will affect the wildlife in the area.

Tell the Department of Natural Resources that they must study the potential impact of these trails on wildlife. We only have until Monday to make our voices heard!

The Reiter Foothills State Forest sits on the Skykomish River, at the foot of Mt Baker. It is beloved by hikers and other outdoors enthusiasts. The DNR is exploring the possibility of building additional trails for use by off-road vehicles. However, without properly studying the potential impact of these trails, we have no way of anticipating and preventing harm to the forests waterways and wildlife.

Fortunately, we have a chance to tell DNR that motorized trails significantly damage forests, and must be closely regulated. We must not let DNR set a precedent that would excuse them from evaluating the environmental impact of the motorized trails in our state!

Join us in submitting your own comments to the Department of Natural Resources! The period for public comments ends on Monday, so please submit yours now.

Together we can be watchdogs, ensuring that our state agencies do their job right to protect our forests.

Thank you for all that you do for the environment.

Sincerely,

Graham Taylor
Sierra Club
P.S. We need as many people as possible to contact Governor Gregoire about this issue. Please forward this to your friends and family.
What is missed by this gentleman is the fact that the DNR did what was required of them by law

Here is what the Washington DNR has been up to with Reiter.

There is an Environmental Checklist that has been completed as per the LAW for this area.

So,

In summary... What are you doing?

If you start to blame the "tree huggers" and the "enviro nazi's". Take a step back and look at your self and what you aren't doing to protect what is already ours!

$47 Million dollars... Think about it!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Good info man. I don't know about trail situations here in mo but I definitely want to keep places open around the u.s. Simply for the sake of protecting fellow Offroad enthusiasts rights
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
amadougrand is on a distinguished road

amadougrand's Tacoma Gallery
The new BLM directive to inventory all area with "Wilderness Charicteristics" is of more concern to me. I am from Idaho and I have seen significant portions of my favorite deserts closed due to Wilderness designations or Wild River Designations or Wilderness study areas. Enough is enough and I am sick of the of the Liberal coastal states trying to regulate how I enjoy my local areas. Same goes for wolves.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Aw man I know about wolves up there that's some bull
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadougrand View Post
The new BLM directive to inventory all area with "Wilderness Charicteristics" is of more concern to me. I am from Idaho and I have seen significant portions of my favorite deserts closed due to Wilderness designations or Wild River Designations or Wilderness study areas. Enough is enough and I am sick of the of the Liberal coastal states trying to regulate how I enjoy my local areas. Same goes for wolves.
So, then what are you doing other than blaming the "liberal coastal states"

How much time and money have you invested in keeping the trails open? What clubs are you involved in? Think about it, the Sierra Club has invested $47 million dollars to further their agenda politically... Their stance is ZERO tolerance for OHV use!

This is not to bash the Sierra Club or a bash the liberals. This is to take a look at yourself and get involved!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #6

I stay involved as best I can, but it is difficult from where I am. The only times I get to the states are in the fall for a few weeks. So I do most of my politicking remotely. I have the personal emails of the Chairman for Idaho Fish and Game and the Chief of Staff for one of Idaho's Federal Senators. We have a very good dialogue and the opinions and desires of myself and those I know are relayed on a consistent basis. Most recently I prepared a proposal to the IDFG to change some boundary unit designations by providing biological and terrain justification.

I do my best, but I work overseas (currently Afghanistan) and it is difficult sometimes.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadougrand View Post
I stay involved as best I can, but it is difficult from where I am. The only times I get to the states are in the fall for a few weeks. So I do most of my politicking remotely. I have the personal emails of the Chairman for Idaho Fish and Game and the Chief of Staff for one of Idaho's Federal Senators. We have a very good dialogue and the opinions and desires of myself and those I know are relayed on a consistent basis. Most recently I prepared a proposal to the IDFG to change some boundary unit designations by providing biological and terrain justification.

I do my best, but I work overseas (currently Afghanistan) and it is difficult sometimes.
My hat's off to you then! The only thing lacking is the number of people following in your footsteps!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

Better yet, I am putting in an offer tomorrow on a 160 acres of my favorite country in that same desert. I can be my own steward then and the GOV will be required to leave me the existing road access across BLM land. The lot is 1mile x 1/4mile and is flat enough I can have my own airstrip as well.

I'm ready to come home now and start building.

back to the original point of the thread, yes offroad enthusiasts in the area are organizing and hopefully the spread of Federal and State land regulation can be reduced.

Killer Chicken, you have my sympathy being from Washington and dealing with the liberal agenda there. I did my grad studies in Seattle (my sister lives there) and there are far to many people with far too much money who think your ideas should be theirs.

Keep up the fight.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I dont see Sierra to be enemy. They doing whats right by them and winning. If OHV community can not organize better then well we not gonna get access. I rather see land become wildlife preserve then another shopping mall that will get abandoned in few years, then fence off in order to prevent any liability.
The true enemy is business/developers who take large chunks of land waste on some idiotic project then when owners file for bankruptcy its get abandon.
I would rather see some way of working together with Sierra.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Angry

Very true statement for the northeast. I also agree with you that the enemy is not neccissarily the Sierra Club, but in my opinion more radical groups with a penchant for debilitating lawsuits like the Wilderness Society , Western Watersheds or Defenders of Wildlife.

West of the Mississippi we have large tracts of open land until you hit the coasts. In most cases a crappy development is not feasable due to proximity to urban centers and no market.

Here's the compromise. You manage your state lands and we will manage ours without the interference of the Feds. Defund the BLM, Forest Sevice, Bureau of Reclamation, EPA, National Park Service and similar institutions. The rule should be if you aren't from an area or at least based there then you have no say. This goes for those who petitioned for the reintroduction of wolves in the Pacific Northwest (Namely Idaho, Montana and Wyoming). 95% of all people who signed that petition where from coastal urban centers. I scanned the first 30 pages or so and all I read was New York, California and Florida.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Honestly I dont see Sierra to be enemy. They doing whats right by them and winning. If OHV community can not organize better then well we not gonna get access. I rather see land become wildlife preserve then another shopping mall that will get abandoned in few years, then fence off in order to prevent any liability.
The true enemy is business/developers who take large chunks of land waste on some idiotic project then when owners file for bankruptcy its get abandon.
I would rather see some way of working together with Sierra.
I pretty much agree. I have a hand in both sides of the issue. I do a lot of wilderness exploration while backpacking and hiking so I like what the Sierra club does. I too however believe that if a trail has historically been open for vehicular travel then it should remain so.

The OHV community should work together with the Sierra club to find common ground where they can.

The biggest threat in the South West is urban sprawl and the solar developers who want to build massive sprawling solar powered plants in the desert. I would much rather see a distributed system so that every building generates its own energy.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
The TW 1%
My issue with the "Club" is the way they conduct their business. I believe in their root cause.

What I dislike about them is they continually mislead their members. My example is one where the email generator sent the email out to the members either not knowing that the DNR had completed what was required or was hoping the recipients would not know and then email the DNR and Government. Emails received from the "SC" carry weight in the fact they are financially and politically backed.