Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Recovery Points?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
hfrank007 is on a distinguished road
hfrank007's Tacoma Gallery
Front Recovery Points?

I've a 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport and am about to drive to Alaska. Just ordered a set of chains. Am now educating myself on vehicle recovery. Will buy a strap and a receiver hitch D Ring shackle with ring and pin.

I've been searching forums and not finding an clear answer to this question:

Is the ring (under the bumper) on the drivers side of the vehicle (I spotted) an attachment for someone's recovery strap should I (shudder) need to be pulled out? If not, where's the best place for them to attach a strap on the front?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, it'll work. Just get another shackle if its not the hook. I've got the hitch receiver shackle and its a must have!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but..........
from what I've read here:
The driver's side recovery point is welded and questionable to some.
The alternative is to buy the Recovery Hook, for an absorbident price,
(Standard on the "TRD Off Road") to replace the "Tie Down Eye" on the passengers side.
Toyota Part #51961-35080
I believe it requires also purchasing a couple longer bolts to replace the "Tie Down" bolts
Can be found here:
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~hook~no~1~51961-35080.html
But you might Google it first.
Also Search this site for more info. I know there's a thread or two about it
Also at the "Other Site" here:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...42#post2197642
I'll post again if I find more info.
Pictured below, I think this installation is reversed and the hook normally is open to the center of the truck.
Good luck and enjoy Alaska

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mo' Info

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-recovery.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...hook-part.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...me-advice.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tow-hooks.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-tow-hook.html
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Name: Nate
Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah to my knowledge that loop on the driver side is used just meant to be used as a tie down for when the vehicle gets transported.

So you are going to want to get a hook like Cape Codder has shown ^^^
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen the driverside loop nearly torn off. The metal its welded to is pretty thin and tears with a good tug. It'll work for a basic recovery, but if you're pretty buried I wouldn't trust it.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsly862 View Post
Yeah to my knowledge that loop on the driver side is used just meant to be used as a tie down for when the vehicle gets transported.

So you are going to want to get a hook like Cape Codder has shown ^^^
Passenger's Side: Tie Down
Driver's Side: Recovery/Tow, but questionable
Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking about it.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Someone needs to make a bolt on recovery point for the stock guys that's not a crappy TRD hook that gets hung up on stuff.....ehem ^^^^^^^
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-tow-hook.html
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
"The Emblem of a Free Man is a Gun"
Ccwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Chris
Ccwahoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I've been thinking about it.
You could give them out with a purchase of any product