Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Compressed CO2 as OBA

Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Compressed CO2 as OBA

Any of you guys using compressed CO2 with a regulator like this one for on-board air? If so, how's it working for you? Seems like it would work well but I'm not sure how many tires it would air up etc. Got one for my birthday to use with nail guns and as portable compressed air.
Attached Thumbnails
Compressed CO2 as OBA-157838_lg.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like just a regulator. How many tires you can fill up is dependent on the size of tank you use.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Correct. I have half a dozen 20 oz. CO2 bottles I picked up for 25 cents ea.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the biggest tank you can fit. With a 5lb bottle I call fill one 35s from 5psi to 35 psi 5 times. So that adds up to only one trip per tank. The cost to fill a tank isn't that much of a difference from 5lbs to 20lbs. It'll be between 12-20 dollars per fill up.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at it from the emergency air perspective rather than airing up/down on trails. I From All.on.Black's post, approximately 1# of CO2 will air up a 35" tire from 5 to 35 PSI. Sounds like a couple of full 20 oz. bottles will do what I need to do with them and in the meantime, I can keep my eyes out for a smokin' deal on a 10 pounder when I have some spare cash. 'm surprised that the 20 oz. bottles won't go any farther than that though.

ETA: I looked at Janster's link to powertank... Holy Frijoles batdude, proud of those regulators ain't they? Mine cost $57 including shipping.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at it from the emergency air perspective rather than airing up/down on trails. I From All.on.Black's post, approximately 1# of CO2 will air up a 35" tire from 5 to 35 PSI. Sounds like a couple of full 20 oz. bottles will do what I need to do with them and in the meantime, I can keep my eyes out for a smokin' deal on a 10 pounder when I have some spare cash. 'm surprised that the 20 oz. bottles won't go any farther than that though.
Why would you need 'air' in an emergency? That's what the spare tire is for.

Are you talking about 20oz paintball canisters?

Are you aware that the 5lb, 10lb, and 20lb bottles that we're referring to have LIQUID CO2 in them? It's NOT straight gas....it's a liquid under extreme pressures and converts to a gas upon exit of the tank. Liquid CO2 needs a special tank that's inspected/dated - they get inspected every 5 years.
Because its a liquid, there's a shit-ton more available gas in them than strictly shoving compressed CO2 in there.

A 20oz bottle of compressed C02 to air up a tire? Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Janster, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's also my understanding that even the paintball tanks have liquid co2 in them. By emergency air, I mean that if I get a small puncture, as in a screw or a nail, I can plug the hole if necessary, air up, then move on. Beats the pants off of changing tires.

ETA: I did a little more digging that I think will clear some confusion. Apparently, the paintball canisters operate at a much lower pressure than the bottles you're referencing. The source I saw said that the paintball canisters hold approx. 34% liquid co2 by volume at about 850 PSI.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Janster, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's also my understanding that even the paintball tanks have liquid co2 in them. By emergency air, I mean that if I get a small puncture, as in a screw or a nail, I can plug the hole if necessary, air up, then move on. Beats the pants off of changing tires.
I'll have to disagree.... Changing a tire is not that difficult. All the necessary tools/equipment are on the truck (ready & waiting). You might need a flashlight for evening changes.

To repair a tire..... you'll need a patch kit & onboard air (as you mention).
Have you ever used those plug kits before? The amount of time it'll take you to line up the hole where its accessible without taking the wheel off the vehicle, doing the plug repair and airing up the tire...... You probably could've changed 2 tires.

And not to mention, after you plugged the tire and aired it up....hoping and praying that it holds air!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any of you guys using compressed CO2 with a regulator like this one for on-board air? If so, how's it working for you? Seems like it would work well but I'm not sure how many tires it would air up etc. Got one for my birthday to use with nail guns and as portable compressed air.
where did you get the regulator ?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #11
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
OBA only because it runs locker also.
x2 just get a 12V compressor with a decent duty cycle and high flow. I'm liking the ARB CKMA12 for my next mod.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'll have to disagree.... Changing a tire is not that difficult. All the necessary tools/equipment are on the truck (ready & waiting). You might need a flashlight for evening changes.

To repair a tire..... you'll need a patch kit & onboard air (as you mention).
Have you ever used those plug kits before? The amount of time it'll take you to line up the hole where its accessible without taking the wheel off the vehicle, doing the plug repair and airing up the tire...... You probably could've changed 2 tires.

And not to mention, after you plugged the tire and aired it up....hoping and praying that it holds air!!!
I'd still rather plug one than change it. Changing tires is a few extra steps I don't need to do. I'm going to plug the tire myself anyway so why fool with changing tires in the first place? I've used the plug kits for at least the last 8 years and I've never had one leak or otherwise fail yet. In fact, I've put 40k+ miles on a tire with a plug in it and no problems.

Got mine here: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_sku=157838
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
She is talking about on the trail. You don't want a pileup because you are trying to plug a tire, which is time consuming and sometimes hard to find and get to on the truck. Better to just change out the tire if you have a fullsize matching spare and keep the group moving than to hold the group up.
Not necessarily while on the trails.... I still think changing a tire is easier/cleaner.
Just not sure you'd need any other 'emergency' air for daily driving.

For the trails - onboard air (a good sized system) and plug kits are definately a much needed necessity!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
757southpaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This setup works flawlessly in the need of air for a puncture or anything. I was second guessing until we had it happened on the trail. Pretty cool!
X2