LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Barstow trip on September 13th.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Barstow trip on September 13th.

Anybody interested? Ryan over on ttora is setting up a "Let's break Mike's truck" run.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1353988
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The recap...

All pretty and stuff early in the drive out to CA:

Driving into impending doom. The rain on the trip out was unreal.

Met up with some guys in Barstow behind the KFC. Their trucks were sick!

Worn out coil-overs. That didn't take too long.

Good place to stop and regroup. Johnny Racer set us up with the Barstow Main racecourse in our Lowrance GPS systems while we were sitting around.

And then the carnage came.

With the help of Cody I got my front suspension strapped together well enough to idle the 8 miles out of the desert. It came apart 6 times so I had a little break in the monotony every now and then.

Back in the parking lot, lined up, and awaiting a mobile welder.

If ever you break in Barstow, call this guy! His weld got my arse back to NJ!

Learned a lot out there, and even with the breakage it was a beautiful, fun trip.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
good times
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
A ratcheted strapped UCA.... has to be one of the best jerry rigs i've ever seen +1
Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you're back and the only damage was to your truck. I will say this though..... you're truck looks like a baby truck next to those other guys. i dont even wanna know what my truck would look like next to theirs.....

what exactly is the purpose of the limiting straps? i'm not entirely clear on what they do. plus they seem like they would break everytime. seems to fragile to be on a truck, much less a baja truck
Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a fun time!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #9

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Glad you're back and the only damage was to your truck. I will say this though..... you're truck looks like a baby truck next to those other guys. i dont even wanna know what my truck would look like next to theirs.....

what exactly is the purpose of the limiting straps? i'm not entirely clear on what they do. plus they seem like they would break everytime. seems to fragile to be on a truck, much less a baja truck
Concept is that the straps will reach their limit before the shocks do, or whatever other suspension component is the limiting factor for wheel travel. For most of us, either the shocks reach maximum extension or the UCAs bind to restrict wheel travel. Do that enough times and something's gonna break. The straps are there to limit travel before anything bad happens to a critical component.

The straps are actually amazingly strong, but I'm doubling them up for the next go-around. I started replacing the coil-overs last night and got the driver's side done. I should have more pictures posted after this weekend.

Oh, and I did miss one from the return trip! My truck at 11,500 feet above sea level.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Looks like Kansas on Interstate 70!! Thats the worst state to drive across in all of America (imo) I wanted to jump out the window!!
I think it might have been Oklahoma. You should experience Kansas on US 50. They don't call it "The loneliest road in America" for nothing!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great pics mike!!! looks like you had a killer time!!! are you going to replace the set of uca's?? if so......going back with the same ones, or something different?

oh yeah...the sunset pic is awesome brotha!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Looks like some serious trucks you were out there playing with.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Concept is that the straps will reach their limit before the shocks do, or whatever other suspension component is the limiting factor for wheel travel. For most of us, either the shocks reach maximum extension or the UCAs bind to restrict wheel travel. Do that enough times and something's gonna break. The straps are there to limit travel before anything bad happens to a critical component.

The straps are actually amazingly strong, but I'm doubling them up for the next go-around. I started replacing the coil-overs last night and got the driver's side done. I should have more pictures posted after this weekend.

Oh, and I did miss one from the return trip! My truck at 11,500 feet above sea level.
that makes sense but fabric seems too weak. it there a reason they dont use thick cable instead?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
that makes sense but fabric seems too weak. it there a reason they dont use thick cable instead?
Flexibility, and think of it as a fuse. If it breaks, then you're pushing pretty damn hard and had better slow down before something else goes.

I know a few rock crawler guys that use chains, but then they're not moving at more than 4mph and trailer their trucks around so the noise isn't a concern.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
great pictures. Do you have any action shots???
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
That srorm looked intense.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
great pictures. Do you have any action shots???
No, but there is a video worth downloading and watching:

http://homepage.mac.com/brumz/Sites/Clips.mov

About 55MB. You get to see me almost roll because of my non-long-travel suspension and stock-valved rear shocks. Those long-travel trucks float over the terrain!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
the video was cool. you're truck was bouncing around more than Boob's McGee's sweater cows though....