Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Locking rear Diff.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
HELIBEAVER is on a distinguished road
HELIBEAVER's Tacoma Gallery
Locking rear Diff.

Im not sure what the Electronic controlled locking rear diff is for, I have a 2011 4x4, Can I use it in conjunction with 4x4 or use it before, then if it doesnt work, use 4x4. Forgive my ignorance, Never had a 4x4 before.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! You can use the rear diff locker in 4 low range.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The locker is generally used in offroad situations when you think you might get stuck or are stuck. You also could use it on slippery boat ramps, and those types of situations.

It'll only work in 4lo range.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
ChanhDoan is on a distinguished road
Name: C DOAN
ChanhDoan's Tacoma Gallery
How is exactky when I need to put the button to engage the rear diff lock? in the manual book only say when you get STUCK in the sand and get out from there and return to normal but..how is the road with mud and hard to go with 2wd?? Can I use in that situation and truck TRD Sport...(do not have locker, of course) but LSD work instead and AUTO or what?? to confuse about 2WD of road, some expert please help and please excuse for my English, Thank you very much (cam on rat nhieu...VIET)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanhDoan View Post
How is exactky when I need to put the button to engage the rear diff lock? in the manual book only say when you get STUCK in the sand and get out from there and return to normal but..how is the road with mud and hard to go with 2wd?? Can I use in that situation and truck TRD Sport...(do not have locker, of course) but LSD work instead and AUTO or what?? to confuse about 2WD of road, some expert please help and please excuse for my English, Thank you very much (cam on rat nhieu...VIET)
Pardon my response, as I'm a little confused of what you're asking.
You list that you own a 2001. And I'm not sure 'what' truck you are referring to.

If you have a TRD Off-road version (Pre-runner or 4WD variety) ....
Utilize in this order on non-pavement (hard non-slip surfaces) only:
If you can't drive the terrain in 2WD - Go into 4WD.
If you can't drive the terrain in 4WD - Go into 4Lo range.
If you can't drive the terrain in 4Lo range - engage the locker.
Note #1: The locker will only engage in 4Lo range on a 4WD vehicle
Note #2: The locker will engage on a 2WD Prerunner

1995-2004 trucks do not have TRD Sport and they do not have AUTO LSD.
Some (rare) 1995-2004 may have a mechanical LSD

2005-2008 TRD Sport has mechanical LSD. Only SOME have AUTO LSD but they DO NOT have mechanical LSD and AUTO LSD on the same vehicle.
2009+ ALL trucks have AUTO LSD
2009+ TRD Sport DO NOT have mechanical LSD
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
As long as we're on the topic, what would be the advantage of doing the 2wd hi locker mod? Seems like locking up in two or four high is just asking to tear shit up in the differential.