Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Air compressor recommendation

Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Air compressor recommendation

Precedent: I'm not a hardcore wheeler

I would like something simple and effective to air down and air up tires for rocky trails.

It doesn't have to be hardwired or mounted in the truck anywhere.

If they're effective, something to just plug into the 12V cig outlet would be fine by me.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Sharper image used to have a compressor that plugged into the 12v, don't know about effectiveness but may wanna check their site.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
MV-50 are alright. But I would go with a Viair compressor. They are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Which Viair?

I see some models that are very affordable.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have the 350C, but I have a tank and this compressor is ment for use paired with a tank. Look at the fill times and see how much money you want to spend and how long you want to wait for your tires to be filled.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ARB and it's fine for me. I have it hardwired on the passenger fender under Hood. It gets flippin hot sometimes tho.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #7

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at their portable "off-road" compressors (the on-road would be too small of a compressor) and looks like the smallest one I would say to get is the 300p.

EDIT: the on-road compressors are for a totally different application.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I just looked at their portable "off-road" compressors (the on-road would be too small of a compressor) and looks like the smallest one I would say to get is the 300p.

EDIT: the on-road compressors are for a totally different application.
$150 is very palatable.

Fill times seem reasonable... but then again I don't have much experience with these things
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
$150 is very palatable.

Fill times seem reasonable... but then again I don't have much experience with these things
The first compressor I bought was the Slime HD. It cost me $60 and down in cali elevation it did alright filling from 20-30psi with 265/70/16 tires, took about 20 mins (at this time I didn't the tank setup). But up at 8,000 feet (where I went offroading) it took 45mins to fil 255/85/16 tires for 15 to 35psi. And I had the air conditioner blowing on it to keep it from overheating (I had it infront of the passenger seat, because of my OBA system).

My brother has the MV-50 and it does fine with 33x12.5 R15s tires going from 15 to 25 psi. It gets hot but its located in the engine bay (on his jeep), just it will over heat on a summer day (90+).

After a trail run back in cali I used my Viair to air up both mine and my brothers tires and the compressor got warm. And it probably only took us 20-25 mins to fill up both vehicles.

This coming summer I'm going to do a dual compressor set up (buying another Viair 350C). Its gonna be sweet!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #10

Thanks for the insight/info.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Thanks for the insight/info.
No problem.

And I just saw that you are in Denver. I believe the Fill time tests on Viair's website are done at sea level, so it will take longer to fill then advertised (due to higher elevation). Good luck at picking.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have the Viair 90P (I just ordered a Puma compressor/tank to replace my 90P though), I could fill my 265s no problem in the heat from about 15-30 psi. I've only filled the 285s (15-40psi) in 40 and below temps and it takes about 30 minutes. Looking at the viair website the specs are different than what my 90P says. It says it will run @72* for 30 mins before the thermal unit will cut it off.

I would suggest it for 31/32s and if you see only an occasional use but you may want something slightly larger. The 300P although slightly more expensive would probably be the way to go if you don't mind spending the extra money. I'd still suggest the 90P as a cheap/reliable compressor though and I've had great luck with it, just a little slow and I think with the 33s it won't do well in 100* NV summers.

Another option is the MV50 or MV90.

The MV50s have a cult following and everything I've read about the MV90s suggests they live up to the MV50s reputation. Both the MV50 and the MV90 have a 100% duty cycle, which is nice.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
VIAR kits are great........just be sure to get one with a 100% duty cycle.
The only ones I've seen with 100% duty cycle are the 450P 450H 350C 450C and 460C those are all quite pricey.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight has a very fast air pump that clips onto the battery for around $50 (on sale frequently)...

I can add 6 psi per minute with it... that's 12 psi to 30 psi in 3 minutes for those of you in Rio Linda.

The cigarette lighter air pumps add only 2 psi per minute... taking 3 times longer.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
Zombie Response Team
ROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
ROCKSLINGER's Tacoma Gallery
I had someone with a mv50 help me this weekend I managed to debeed my tire and it took a while for it to air my tire up but it sealed the beed for my 33. So now im in the market for a compressor as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #16

I've seen your truck around. Saw you parked outside of Kohls in South Reno once. You ever check out Reno4x4.com ?

I'd check out the MV90 .

If you want to spend a little more money a good setup is the Puma

http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air-...c#ht_767wt_907
Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Zombie Response Team
ROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKSLINGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I've seen your truck around. Saw you parked outside of Kohls in South Reno once. You ever check out Reno4x4.com ?

I'd check out the MV90 .

If you want to spend a little more money a good setup is the Puma

http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air-...c#ht_767wt_907
Ive been on reno4x4. Ive gone out with them on a few trail runs. Nice finding new trails.
Lets go wheel sometime Im out almost every weekend

Im going to look into the mv90.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #18
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
MV-50 is great. Tons of guys run them. Some guys have even mounted them in the engine compartment. At $60 on Amazon.com, it's a no brainer. I actually originally bought a Viair 300P and returned it. The bag it came in had a bad zipper and the insulation on the wires was split open exposing the copper. Shouldn't have seen that on a $150 unit.

Of course I also carry one of these as a backup ...

Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Not that bad for what you are getting. I have the 450C kit, comes with a 2.5 gal tank and all. Fills 4 33" tires from 18-35psi in 10-15 min. works flawlessly. Also I use to to run lockers.
Where do you have it all mounted?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #20
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not that bad for what you are getting. I have the 450C kit, comes with a 2.5 gal tank and all. Fills 4 33" tires from 18-35psi in 10-15 min. works flawlessly. Also I use to to run lockers.
Good to know! Got the same kit. Sure is gonna be nicer than 10-15 per tire from my portable compresser.