Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

smittybilt winches

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
smittybilt winches

Anyone have any experience with them. Im kinda kicking around the idea of getting one. This is the one im thinking on getting. Any in put would be great.

The new Smittybilt Comp-Series XRC 8 Winch encompasses all the best features
you would want in a winch. Every XRC 8 (8,000 LB.) winch features a 5.5 HP
Series Wound Motor and a Planetary Gear System with 172.8:1 gear ratio that will
deliver power and reliability at a premium price. For a recovery system with the
muscle and dependability to bail you out of any situation, the XRC 8 has all the
heavy duty toughness you′re looking for.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
I've used mine twice in the last 2 days. So far no problems. There is a write-up here that instructs on how to "seal" the solenoid. I've heard there have been problems there with water/corrosion issues. Sealing it eliminates that problem. I sealed mine in the last week or so. I have a friend that has one on his rock-buggy. He has not sealed his and uses it all the time. He has had no problems either. In my eyes, it is a great winch for the money. If you will use it regularly, you can't beat a Warn! I've had a couple of them without issues either.

I like my XRC8.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
I've used the hell out of both XRC-8's I've had. Notice I said both, as the first one had to be replaced. Burned the motor out on a pull that shouldn't have burned it out.

Not as high quality as warn winches, but it's acceptable quality. Can be kind of finicky (getting the clutch to engage/disengage and free spool), but once you know how to use it it's not bad.

Great deal for the price. The line is great.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
I got my first XRC8 in Jan 07 used it for about 30 times in a year before I upgraded to the Comp Series with Synthetic rope. I have used it over 100 times with no problems. I have not had any trouble with the solenoid's on either winch. I always use a Snatch Black. But it is a Good winch!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW MOABJEEP club/magazine did a winch torture test in Hell (moab)... they abused a bunch of different companies. of 7 winch companies only 3 survived the torture test. Warn, superwinch, and believe it or not Harbor freight...

just thought id throw it out there because it surprised me...

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I love my XRC 8 and it's done well in the 6 months I've owned it. I've used it probably a dozen or more times this winter and it's been awesome. Saved my ass a few others' as well.

I sealed the solenoid as per Krookz' write up. No issues thus far.

The line speed sucks but what do you expect for 300$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
I've used the hell out of both XRC-8's I've had. Notice I said both, as the first one had to be replaced. Burned the motor out on a pull that shouldn't have burned it out.
Was your first one a first or second gen winch?

One thing to note about the comp series rope: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...48&postcount=8

I will say I enjoy the XRC-8, it's been great, I'll keep it until it dies I think... but I am always a little fearful it won't work when I need it (though it's never given me reason to doubt it). If I had known I'd use a winch as much as I have now that I own it I might have gone for the Superwinch EP9, X9, or possibly a M8000.

If it's there as a save your ass, use seldom tool, for the price it can't be beat.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
adrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenaline66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: RLTW
Name: Dante
adrenaline66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I love my XRC 8 and it's done well in the 6 months I've owned it. I've used it probably a dozen or more times this winter and it's been awesome. Saved my ass a few others' as well.

I sealed the solenoid as per Krookz' write up. No issues thus far.

The line speed sucks but what do you expect for 300$?

Was your first one a first or second gen winch?

One thing to note about the comp series rope: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...48&postcount=8

I will say I enjoy the XRC-8, it's been great, I'll keep it until it dies I think... but I am always a little fearful it won't work when I need it (though it's never given me reason to doubt it). If I had known I'd use a winch as much as I have now that I own it I might have gone for the Superwinch EP9, X9, or possibly a M8000.

If it's there as a save your ass, use seldom tool, for the price it can't be beat.
Just to let all know, the comparison in this link is inaccurate. I contacted Smittybilt and found out the Breaking Strength's of their Synthetic Lines and here's what I got:

8,000 Lb. Line has a Breaking Strength of 15,000 Lbs
10,000 Lb. Line has a Breaking Strength of 19,310 Lbs

I mentioned they may want to put that on the site to help buyers make a decision. For whatever reason, they just put the Working Load Limit for their lines.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I fully submerged my XRC 8 and it still works. Thank God.