1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

smittybilt winches

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by IndianTaco, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have any experience with them. Im kinda kicking around the idea of getting one. This is the one im thinking on getting. Any in put would be great.

The new Smittybilt Comp-Series XRC 8 Winch encompasses all the best features
    you would want in a winch. Every XRC 8 (8,000 LB.) winch features a 5.5 HP
    Series Wound Motor and a Planetary Gear System with 172.8:1 gear ratio that will
    deliver power and reliability at a premium price. For a recovery system with the
    muscle and dependability to bail you out of any situation, the XRC 8 has all the
    heavy duty toughness you′re looking for.

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    I've used mine twice in the last 2 days. So far no problems. There is a write-up here that instructs on how to "seal" the solenoid. I've heard there have been problems there with water/corrosion issues. Sealing it eliminates that problem. I sealed mine in the last week or so. I have a friend that has one on his rock-buggy. He has not sealed his and uses it all the time. He has had no problems either. In my eyes, it is a great winch for the money. If you will use it regularly, you can't beat a Warn! I've had a couple of them without issues either.

I like my XRC8.

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I've used the hell out of both XRC-8's I've had. Notice I said both, as the first one had to be replaced. Burned the motor out on a pull that shouldn't have burned it out.

Not as high quality as warn winches, but it's acceptable quality. Can be kind of finicky (getting the clutch to engage/disengage and free spool), but once you know how to use it it's not bad.

Great deal for the price. The line is great.

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    I got my first XRC8 in Jan 07 used it for about 30 times in a year before I upgraded to the Comp Series with Synthetic rope. I have used it over 100 times with no problems. I have not had any trouble with the solenoid's on either winch. I always use a Snatch Black. But it is a Good winch!!!:)

[​IMG]

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    FWIW MOABJEEP club/magazine did a winch torture test in Hell (moab)... they abused a bunch of different companies. of 7 winch companies only 3 survived the torture test. Warn, superwinch, and believe it or not Harbor freight...

just thought id throw it out there because it surprised me...

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I love my XRC 8 and it's done well in the 6 months I've owned it. I've used it probably a dozen or more times this winter and it's been awesome. Saved my ass a few others' as well.

I sealed the solenoid as per Krookz' write up. No issues thus far.

The line speed sucks but what do you expect for 300$?

Was your first one a first or second gen winch?

One thing to note about the comp series rope: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=761348&postcount=8

I will say I enjoy the XRC-8, it's been great, I'll keep it until it dies I think... but I am always a little fearful it won't work when I need it (though it's never given me reason to doubt it). If I had known I'd use a winch as much as I have now that I own it I might have gone for the Superwinch EP9, X9, or possibly a M8000.

If it's there as a save your ass, use seldom tool, for the price it can't be beat.

7. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    Just to let all know, the comparison in this link is inaccurate. I contacted Smittybilt and found out the Breaking Strength's of their Synthetic Lines and here's what I got:

8,000 Lb. Line has a Breaking Strength of 15,000 Lbs
    10,000 Lb. Line has a Breaking Strength of 19,310 Lbs

I mentioned they may want to put that on the site to help buyers make a decision. For whatever reason, they just put the Working Load Limit for their lines.

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Well, I fully submerged my XRC 8 and it still works. Thank God.

Products Discussed in

To Top