Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

recovery strap questions

Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
recovery strap questions

Hey guys. Quick question,

On a trip and found a couple options for a recovery strap.

2 inch by 20. 9000 tow 18000 break. Would this be adequate? Price is 35 dollars

Or would I be better with a 3inch by 20 13500 tow 27000 break for 55.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I'd go 2" by 20'
Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. You *want* it to stretch. I had a 3" strap and Tom from Badlands 4x4 training suggested it didn't have enough stretch for lighter weight trucks.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Myself, I like using a 2"x30ft strap, but also have a 2"x20ft strap I keep in the truck as well. Make sure its a recovery strap with loop ends, you dont want the hook end tow straps
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Banned
merrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to behold
merrit's Tacoma Gallery
2X30 is the standard for our sized vehicles

I use a 30 x 7/8" recovery rope it has more of a bungie effect than a strap
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Myself, I like using a 2"x30ft strap, but also have a 2"x20ft strap I keep in the truck as well. Make sure its a recovery strap with loop ends, you dont want the hook end tow straps
Just wondering, why loops and not hooks?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice. The straps do have loop ends for sure. They also have 30 foot lengths which I may get instead or as well. I sent a picture of the strap I took in the store to the twlive page for anyone interested.

Hooks are bad as they turn into projectiles if the strap becomes disconnected or breaks. That's my understanding at least.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
2x20 or 2x30 would be fine with double eyelets.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2x30 & a 3x30. I like my 2x30 better. Pic of me using my 2x30
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
This is all I can find. It's really good, but they don't go over the math on converting between plies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQoBkDREwo
Old 03-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Just wondering, why loops and not hooks?
If the strap breaks - that hook becomes a projectile and can be very deadly.

I'd recommend a KEEPER Stretch-n-Snatch strap. If you can afford a wider one, GET IT.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If the strap breaks - that hook becomes a projectile and can be very deadly.

I'd recommend a KEEPER Stretch-n-Snatch strap. If you can afford a wider one, GET IT.
if you watch the video I post, that's not an entirely good assumption. You would want a wider strap with less ply that still matches the desired tensile strength.

A snatch strap works off of the idea that it is going to stretch. Getting a strap that has too high of a tensile strength for the job eliminates that stretch and you are essentially yanking with a tow strap.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Jreays is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter 2/EMT-B
Name: Jeremy
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
I got a recovery 2in x 20ft recovery strap for Christmas. It doesn't have hooks. I figure I could put it over the ball hitch on the taco but how would I connect it to say a car stuck in a ditch?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreays View Post
I got a recovery 2in x 20ft recovery strap for Christmas. It doesn't have hooks. I figure I could put it over the ball hitch on the taco but how would I connect it to say a car stuck in a ditch?
Putting it over the ball is a bad idea. You can either slip off or you can shear the bolt, causing it to be a projectile.

I currently take the ball out and put a D ring shackle in its place. Works great and I haven't found any research that says I'm doing something dangerous, so I haven't bought an actual hitch pin recovery shackle.

You hook to the other vehicle via a tow point with a D ring shackle. If you can't find a place where a d ring shackle fits, then it's best to walk away and call the tow truck.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
if you watch the video I post, that's not an entirely good assumption. You would want a wider strap with less ply that still matches the desired tensile strength.

A snatch strap works off of the idea that it is going to stretch. Getting a strap that has too high of a tensile strength for the job eliminates that stretch and you are essentially yanking with a tow strap.
Not a good assumption for what?

Are you saying the 2" strap is better than the 3" strap?

I've owned & used Stretch-n-snaps straps for many years - including 2's & 3" straps and they stretch just fine and get the job done either way on the trails. I'd personally rather have the 3" with a higher tensile strength than the 2".

For on the trails - you're not gonna notice much difference between the 2" or 3", but only peace of mind that you have a stronger strap to deal with the situation.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Nuggety

Quote:
Not a good assumption for what?

Are you saying the 2" strap is better than the 3" strap?

I've owned & used Stretch-n-snaps straps for many years - including 2's & 3" straps and they stretch just fine and get the job done either way on the trails. I'd personally rather have the 3" with a higher tensile strength than the 2".

For on the trails - you're not gonna notice much difference between the 2" or 3", but only peace of mind that you have a stronger strap to deal with the situation.
Watch the video, it should explain what I'm trying to say.

A 3" strap is better than a 2" strap PROVIDED that the 3" strap has less plies and both are rated at the same tensile strength.

Having a higher tensile strength isn't a case of "it's stronger, so it's better". You are changing a dynamic pull into a static pull, introducing stress on the vehicle and danger into your pull.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Watch the video, it should explain what I'm trying to say.

A 3" strap is better than a 2" strap PROVIDED that the 3" strap has less plies and both are rated at the same tensile strength.

Having a higher tensile strength isn't a case of "it's stronger, so it's better". You are changing a dynamic pull into a static pull, introducing stress on the vehicle and danger into your pull.
So, are we splitting atoms here?

Yeah, I tried to watch the entire video but I almost fell asleep.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Nuggety

Quote:
So, are we splitting atoms here?
I'm just being really picky over a point that tends to be highly overlooked

Quote:
Yeah, I tried to watch the entire video but I almost fell asleep.
I found it really interesting and wanted to ask questions
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery

Using a Smittybilt 2''x30' recovery strap to pull a Ford & a Jeep up a 8% grade @ the same time.