Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

I understand the jeep thing...thats why i drive a TOYOTA!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticTaco151 View Post
i have a 2000 4.0 inline 6. love it. the thing goes anywhere. you get ahole nuts/narrow-minded enthusiasts with any type of vehicle, besides a ranger. who the hell likes a ranger? jk
Extremely biased Ford owners lol. They gotta be the most biased enthusiasts in the world. Go on the Ford forums if you don't believe me lol
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #42
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
I'm a former jeep(lj rubicon) owner as well. The 4.0l is no beast, its a large turd. I'm not sure who started the myth about it having any torque, but I'm here tto say that it doesn't. Mine was reliable for 1 year and then it was a big pos. It left me stranded several times. Its a great off road vehicle that rides like a shopping cart.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #43
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
I'm a former jeep(lj rubicon) owner as well. The 4.0l is no beast, its a large turd. I'm not sure who started the myth about it having any torque, but I'm here tto say that it doesn't. Mine was reliable for 1 year and then it was a big pos. It left me stranded several times. Its a great off road vehicle that rides like a shopping cart.
Thanks for the honesty... it is hard to accept... but we still love the Jeep brand.

I just got the new Four Wheeler Magazine yesterday, and it says it is official... Jeep will (again) introduce a pickup by late 2012, based on the Wrangler Unlimited platform.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #44
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Thanks for the honesty... it is hard to accept... but we still love the Jeep brand.

I just got the new Four Wheeler Magazine yesterday, and it says it is official... Jeep will (again) introduce a pickup by late 2012, based on the Wrangler Unlimited platform.
That sounds pretty cool. I know I always dreamed of building the AEV brute conversion, so I will be interested to see the jeep truck.

I still like jeeps but if I got another one I would buy a 4 cyl tj and do a gen 3 gm engine swap and put dana 60s under it. I might even consider a jk with a hemi swap. Either one would have triple the torque of the 4.0l.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #45
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What was wrong with it? Had to have something wrong with it....

I had two 4.0L in both the Wranglers I had. The torque was frigin awesome!!

Granted, I had 35" tires & 4.56 gears... You could be on an extreme incline (no gas) and slowly release the clutch and it'd start pulling you up the hill. No rolling backwards at all.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What was wrong with it? Had to have something wrong with it....

I had two 4.0L in both the Wranglers I had. The torque was frigin awesome!!

Granted, I had 35" tires & 4.56 gears... You could be on an extreme incline (no gas) and slowly release the clutch and it'd start pulling you up the hill. No rolling backwards at all.
Imo that is the gearing pulling you up the hill, not torque. A 4 cyl with 5.13s will do it too. Have you ever tried towing with it? Your corvette has torque that will push you back in the seat from a dead stop. That is torque. (I had an 02 c5). Again this is my .02.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #47
jcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to behold

Name: JC
jcrazy425's Tacoma Gallery
I had 4.88s on mine with 35" baja claws. It was gearing, not torque....
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #48
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
On the last club run for the Nevada Backroaders, the trailboss asked me about my Tacoma. He has a Jeep Wrangler and has not missed a run due to mechanical problems. Same with the other members of the group, save one or two. He was thinking about getting a Tacoma because he's getting 13 mpg with his Jeep. One of the other members also mentioned only getting 13 mpg. They do have theirs built and they are awesome vehicles. I won't get a Jeep because my wife wouldn't be able to ride in it. The seat design causes backaches for her, even when driving on the pavement. She wouldn't be able to go on the trails with me, it would be torture for her.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #49
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 4.0 has 220 tq@3000 rpms. Not too bad for a 20 year+ old engine. I think it is torqy and I have had 500hp cars.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
The 4.0 has 220 tq@3000 rpms. Not too bad for a 20 year+ old engine. I think it is torqy and I have had 500hp cars.

The 4.0l Tacoma has 266 ft. lb @ 4000, so I'm sure they would be pretty close at 3000 rpm. No one ever brags about the Tacoma torque even though it has more than the Jeep. I believe the Jeep torque myth stems from the low gearing.

I'd be willing to bet $ that a stock 4.0l Tacoma would beat a 4.0l Jeep on the dyno. (I've had a 450 hp truck and 500 hp c5, and I think the Jeep is a gutless wonder.)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #51
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Imo that is the gearing pulling you up the hill, not torque. A 4 cyl with 5.13s will do it too. Have you ever tried towing with it? Your corvette has torque that will push you back in the seat from a dead stop. That is torque. (I had an 02 c5). Again this is my .02.
Gearing can't do anything without the engine behind it.

The corvette has torque because its a V8 and a weighs nothing. You couldn't tow shit with the corvette.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #52
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
yes i'm quoting myself, but i found it appropriate for the thread. something i replied to in tw live a month or so ago when someone said they didn't understand the jeep thing. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
i had a jeep before my taco. "Its a jeep thing you wouldn't understand" is actually an answer, not a statement. an answer to questions like. . .

"Why is it smoking under the hood?"
"Why does it pop like that when you get to high speeds?" (stretched transfer case chain (AWD))
"why does your air bag light keep chiming?"
"why does it moan when you turn it sharp?"
"how come the CD player doesn't work when it's cold?"
"why doesn't your washer fluid spray?"
"when is your guy with the trailer going to come pick us up?"
"why don't you get rid of this piece of shit?"
Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I laughed my ass off at that! sounds dead on like my second cherokee. My first one was awesome except for the drivers door mount breaking. had 362K on it when I traded for my first Tacoma.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Gearing can't do anything without the engine behind it.

The corvette has torque because its a V8 and a weighs nothing. You couldn't tow shit with the corvette.

Weight has nothing to do with torque.

You're right corvettes aren't rated for towing.

BTW your Corvette, Tacoma, and Acura MDX all have more torque than the almighty torque monster Jeep.

Here is what a Jeep with torque looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EG0TgZhJY
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #55
jcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to behold

Name: JC
jcrazy425's Tacoma Gallery
222lb-ft of torque. Decent but not revolutionary.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #56
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Hey jeep guys and gals. Looking to get a jeep for off road use. What do you recommend. I want a wrangler but don't know what platform to start with. CJ, YJ, TJ, JK? Well likely not a JK because they are so new. Want to build a crawler and I think that getting a jeep would be fun. Would love to have a FJ40 but they are pricey.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #57
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I laughed my ass off at that! sounds dead on like my second cherokee. My first one was awesome except for the drivers door mount breaking. had 362K on it when I traded for my first Tacoma.
it was a grand cherokee. with the 4.7ltr. . . . 4 yrs of sheer torture.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #58
mixaro is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
i've had three jeeps, an 89xj (crappy renix 4.0), a 95xj with a 4.0 and a cj7 that i put the 4.0 head on the 4.2( full injection makes things faster he he) they were all running q78 swampers. None of them had a problem turning those tires and they had a butt load of torque considering it's an over 20 year old motor, i wish i still had the pictures of me roasting them with the 95. I miss my jeeps some times, they were way easier to lift and work on, and the solid front axle has it all over the ifs. I'm now on my second tacoma, and i love these trucks too. I just know that the jeeps are way more capable wheeling then the tacoma unless you dump alot of money into them. A you don't buy a jeep for the ride you buy it because it will go anywhere. That said i still love my tacoma and i do wheel it, and it's an excellent dd.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #59
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fourbangertaco View Post
^^yea, still wouldnt keep me from buyin a jeep but i need a truck for a daily driver anyways

here are a few pics of the jeep actually stuck before i pulled him out

me hookin up winch
my friend got his grand cherokee stuck like this, except his front bumper was in the dirt on the passenger side
i pulled him out with the winch

oh, you now need to get a "jeep rescue vehicle" sticker somewhere on you truck
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #60
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Title just reminded me of a sticker I made to put on a friends bronco. It said "I got your Jeep thing, now it burns when I pee" lol