1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I understand the jeep thing...thats why i drive a TOYOTA!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 98fourbangertaco, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    jcrazy425

jcrazy425 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I have had 3 engines and non hve left me stranded. Don't get me wrong, I don't they are made of gold but pretty bullet-proof none the less.

First jeep(97/4.0L) never had engine prob only electrical. Replaced computer. Stolen with 178,000 miles and ran strong

Second jeep(89/4.2L) never smoked but I did have vacuum problems. Sold with 155,000 miles.

Third jeep(00/4.0L) plenty of steering problems and cooling issues. Never gave a smooth ride but engine was perfect. Sold with 130,000 miles.

I'll post pics of all three later....

2. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    Haha as for the jeep recovery sticker....i already have one same as the title of this thread on the tailgate.:)

3. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    *retarded ;)

4. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    that works too
    do you ever get nasty looks from jeep drivers?

5. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    nah not that i have noticed but i always kinda smirk when a jeep gets behind me cause u cant miss the sticker haha

6. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    i see a pic from this thread made the baner, hows about we throw the one of me pullin the red jeep out from the original post up there next ;)

7. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    Just cause he has a Yota doesn't mean he can't appreciate other vehicles. Jeep's are in fact very good off-roaders. Are you gonna deny that?

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    just to be clear again im not bad mouthing jeeps at all, there awsome offroad, just pokin a lil fun

9. Mar 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have 8 years of experience wheeling the 4.0L and I still say (based on my experience) it has tons of torque. In fact...it has more torque than the 96 tacoma I had (and wheeled with for 3 years). You can't convince someone it doesn't have torque when I've experienced it myself....

Not exactly sure what the video is trying to show me - as it doesn't have anything to do with torque. That's power & momentum. And....that Jeep has an LS1 in it.

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    YJ or a TJ - but I'd recommend getting a TJ (the newer the better).

I built a YJ and loved it. They're leaf sprung all around. Get a 92+ as it'll have fuel injection. Watch for rust on the body & frame. If it has close to 100K miles on it, look for main oil seal leaks (oil dripping near the oil pan). Get the 4.0L inline 6.

If you look for a TJ, it'll be more expensive than a YJ but the rust factor won't be as bad. Again - look for the main oil seal leak at around 100K miles. Get the 4.0L inline 6. TJ's are all coil sprung, flex like mad when setup properly.... the suspension is a bit more complicated than the YJ's with control arms and all that stuff. TJ's and YJ's have the same drivetrain (tranny, transer case).
    If you're really looking to build a beefy rock crawler, avoid getting a TJ Rubicon. It has all the bells & whistles, but you're far better off building one instead of using the factory stuff that is came with. A Grand Waggy Dana 44 is much stronger (at the hubs) than a Rubicon Dana 44. And putting in an ATLAS transfer case is FAR FAR superior than the Rubicon case.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    My husband used to make that kinda stuff and mall rated stuff too. :D

And I'll agree....there are some ignorant Jeep & toyota owners out there. I've seen 'em and wheeled with those $#%*'s !!. They're just ignorant people talking crap and has nothing to do with their vehicles. In fact, their rigs get a bad rap because of how THEY BUILD THEM and how THEY DRIVE THEM.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    haha, I just think one of them would be funny. Not because I think I can out-do a Jeep off-road; an experienced Jeep driver could out do more than I can in my Tacoma, mainly because of it's size. The Jeep is the original off-road vehicle, BUT that doesn't mean every 16yr old kid knows how to drive one correctly. What I would love about the sticker more than anything is that I can see it now. Stopping at a red light and having an arrogant Jeep driver pull up behind me; they would go crazy when they saw it, probably talk smack and shoot me birds, etc, but I would be laughing the whole time! haha

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Unless I am missing something in these pics... How, and why is it stuck??

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    My thoughts exactly! Must be a 2WD Jeep (looks like a front diff in the photo, so maybe he wasn't even in 4WD)?!

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    If I had to guess.... He's probably at a point where - you don't want to move it. Any wrong move will put the passenger side againest the dirt. Nobody wants to willingly put their rig againest the dirt (dents/scratchs). So - he's probably playing it safe.

Besides, if he turns down into the ditch and tries to get out...that passenger side front tire is taking an extreme amount of weight/force and could break the hub, ujoint, or axle shaft on the passenger side.

Sometimes its not about actually being stuck...it's about saving your equipment.

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    COACHPPARK

COACHPPARK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    ST. PETERSBURG
    Vehicle:
    2024 CELESTIAL SILVER METALLIC TRD SPORT
    TINTED ALL WINDOWS, SOME GRILLE BADGES,
    HAD A JEEP WRANGLER FOR 10 YEARS WAS A GREAT VECHILE BUT I NOW HAVE MY TACO AND LOVE IT JUST THE SAME.....

18. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Forward, crank the steering wheel to the right to drive out of the rut. Reverse, crank it to the left... Drive into the sides of that rut and on top of it... create traction and avoid high centering. Get up high and get your tires out of that rut.

19. Mar 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I'm guessing he's concerned he's gonna flip it the rest of the way onto its side.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like there's a bit of a rise left to go on the driver side of the rut, and going forward might give it the rest of the tilt it needs to go over.

But backing out looks doable.

EDIT - all the weight's on the passenger side wheels, and Grand Cherokees aren't typically locked. So he may simply be spinning both driver side wheels.

Anyhow, I drove my truck into a rut like that in a very similar situation, and the driver seat still has the wrinkles from where I tightened my sphincter. I didn't end up taking a tow, but I would have done so without a second thought if I felt the truck tipping any more as I was driving it out.

20. Mar 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Had a '68 kaiser built CJ w/Buick V6, it ran good & was torquey enough what I hated about it was lack of "feel" when trailing, get a little bit on an angle & there was no feel to when you get close to tipping point, you just went over, never felt safe in the damned thing on or off road...

Products Discussed in

To Top