Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

rear tow hook that DOES NOT require a tow hitch?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
rear tow hook that DOES NOT require a tow hitch?

Are there any tow hooks for the back of the 2nd gen Tacomas that do not require you to have a tow hitch? I currently do not have a hitch, don't really need one either. So I was hoping there is something out there so I can have a rear recovery point without having to add a hitch.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a large shackle to go through the trailer ball hole in your bumper? Dunno. I doubt I'd want to tug real hard or often with it. Just for emergencies.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't try pulling off the factory bumper. They are made of thin steel and it doesn't take much to bend the hell out one. The only other option I can think of is an aftermarket rear bumper with recovery points.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
the big chain autoparts stores sell 1 that will bolt on with 2 bolts. May look into that and bolt it to the frame rail
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
Land Rover people use something called a jate ring. Look into that, not really sure if that would be an option or not for a Tacoma
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
Maybe a large shackle to go through the trailer ball hole in your bumper? Dunno. I doubt I'd want to tug real hard or often with it. Just for emergencies.
yea i wouldnt want to be pulled out from that thin bumper.

ill have to look into the tow hook from an autoparts store.

i was just hoping there was a company out there that made a rear tow hook specifically for the tacoma that did not require me buying a trailer hitch or aftermarket bumper.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I think the tow hitch is probably the best and easiest way. The second thing I'd try is one of those two hooks Reese makes, they sell them at the autoparts store. You may have to drill an extra hole in your frame though. Try to get one with a safety latch.

A jate ring probably would be hard to mount anywhere and not work so well unless you boxed the rear of the frame in on one side and sleeved it and ran the jate ring. You could maybe mount a tow jaw somewhere but those are nearly 200 and wouldn't work as well as a hook I'd think.

You could always try and have someone fab something. I'd maybe come off the frame with some 5/16" plate after running several 1/2" grade 8 bolts and make a shackle mount or something that barely stuck out beneath the bumper.

I still say your best and easiest option is the hitch.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
did you find a solution? im in the same situation..dont really need a hitch.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671taco View Post
did you find a solution? im in the same situation..dont really need a hitch.
nope, i actually just ordered my hitch about 2 minutes ago. it really is the best solution i think. if your looking autoanything has them on sale for $148, free shipping and free locking hitch pin

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/7...0A3256967.aspx
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Yea hitch is probably the way to go. You don't think you need it now but chances are you will.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
I have the tow package. I don't tow anything. but I like having it. And of course its a nice recovery point.

I actually just made myself a tow hook for my receiver hitch. I still have to drill a 5/8" hole in it for a pin. and paint it black. I made a 6"x2"x2" OD box out of 10 gauge steel ( .135 thickness) and then welded a tow hook to the top. I found the hook at a parts store for $8. Steel cost me nothing.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
Just put your hitch pin in the hitch. Doesn't require you going out and buying anything and you don't have to worry about it being stolen. Put the snatch strap inside the hitch hole and run the pin through the hole of the snatch strap. Tug on the strap to make sure you got the pin through the hole and then snatch away. Problem solved. I do it this way every time someone gets stuck, including me.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonfatwater7 View Post
Just put your hitch pin in the hitch. Doesn't require you going out and buying anything and you don't have to worry about it being stolen. Put the snatch strap inside the hitch hole and run the pin through the hole of the snatch strap. Tug on the strap to make sure you got the pin through the hole and then snatch away. Problem solved. I do it this way every time someone gets stuck, including me.
The hook is geat if your hitch is submersed in mud or something.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
same boat, looking at the Curt hitch from auto anything.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I think you guys are talking about two different things.

If you don't have a receiver, such as those of you that didn't buy the tow package, it's really going to be easiest to get a Class III receiver.

If you don't have a hitch, get one of these. The hitch pin works in a pinch, but long term you would want a better solution.

For those of you considering a tow hook, DON'T. For safety, you need a fully enclosed loop, otherwise the strap can come off. I refuse to recover/tow anyone who doesn't have a fully enclosed loop.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
Before I got a cheap bumper receiver, I used a large shackle that could go through the center bumper hole. Worked just fine. People don't give the stock bumper enough credit. It's more capable that most think.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swendling12 View Post
Before I got a cheap bumper receiver, I used a large shackle that could go through the center bumper hole. Worked just fine. People don't give the stock bumper enough credit. It's more capable that most think.
I was wondering about your solution, shakle through bumper hole. I have to check the manual to see if it gives a capasity. (I have a 4cly so wouldn't be pulling more than a small truck or getting myself pulled out)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about capacity, but it's worked fine so far for me. I went and bought a $45 bolt on receiver that bolts to the outside 2 holes on the bumper, and adds some flexibility to use.

I've put a lot of load on it without issue so far. I towed about 3500 lbs on my bumper 2 weeks ago. I've been pulled out of some pretty neat messes last winter by my dad's Dakota and haven't had a problem. I can say that a tow strap through the bumper mount will bend the shit out of the chrome in a hurry. Only pull on the bumper from the center, that's where it's strong. The rest of the bumper is a joke.

Historically I've gotten by fine with just using the bumper.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #19
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
From what I read in the towing section, the bumper has a tow rating of about 3500 lbs.

However, consider the following:

The GVWR of a taco is 5450
That weight gets amplified in most stuck situations - hills, mud, snow
Snatching requires more strength than towing.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yeah don't pull from the stock bumper. My Ranger bumper got ripped up a bit when I got stuck. I had no hitch on the truck.

Products Discussed in this Thread