Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

4lo or 4hi for mudding

Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Does The Noise In My Head Bother You?
tmcmanus7 is just really nicetmcmanus7 is just really nicetmcmanus7 is just really nicetmcmanus7 is just really nicetmcmanus7 is just really nice

Name: Tyler
tmcmanus7's Tacoma Gallery
4lo or 4hi for mudding

which is better?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I personally use 4hi, cause I'm not going to crawl in mud.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
ruseter08 is on a distinguished road
ruseter08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I personally use 4hi, cause I'm not going to crawl in mud.
x2
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
4Hi

You need some momentum to carry you though a mud hole.

4Lo and common sense will get you out if you are stuck... hopefully
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
i have to use 4lo and its done me well, my 4hi acts like it wants to bog down and the whole truck will just die so i just rather not mess with it and just use 4lo, i have been problem free so far.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
4lo, the problem with 4hi is you need some power to keep those wheels spinning to go through mud and yotas aint known for making much power! 4hi is more of an answer that comes from chevy, ford, and dodge guys: 1) because they make a lot of power and can easily spin their wheels 2) because their trucks weigh too damn much! They need speed and high wheel spin! I been muddin ever since i was a kid and the biggest thing ive learned is weight means everything. Yotas have that low weight and to make up for the low power all you need is low gears, hence using 4lo! I suggest to anyone who has been using 4hi to try 4lo and see how much shit you go through! You'll be impressed! Oh . . . . and a little driving skill isnt such a bad thing to have either
Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
ben76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
ben76's Tacoma Gallery
4 Lo and second gear in my truck will get you all the wheel spin you need to keep the tires cleaned out and up on top of the mud. You don't always want your wheels spinning as fast as they can. When they get spinning to fast and suddenly grab traction is a good way to break some CV axles.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
4lo pulled me through this mess with no problem

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
High. You need the wheel speed for the tires to clear up. If you don't have enough power for high then a 2nd or 3rd in low will work.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
4lo..........4hi bogs too much with 33"s and the 6 speed.
Even in 1st?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Atrac
You Canadians... always making jokes for us Yanks!

But seriously, if under any water: LOW RANGE (and A-TRAC or lockers if equipped) for max. torque and power to the wheels.

The reason... to avoid spashing muddy water into engine compartment (as well as all over your truck... although the some kiddies here like doing that).

Momentum yes... but you can go 30 mph in low range, and if that doesn't spin your tires enough to unclog them, then you need better tires!

IF you are on a muddy lakebed (ie. a dry lake that wasn't)... and then speed might be your friend! 4WD HIGH to move at 40-50 MPH to keep from bogging in... Exactly what I did for 20 miles on Laguna Salada to keep from sinking in!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
"Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS
ironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billy
ironman44bear's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl or 6cyl 4lo.... big nasty v8..4hi
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
4lo.

In automatic trucks you get plenty of wheel speed because it will upshift.

In manual trucks I use 2nd and 3rd gear.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
4lo. my truck has taken me through some nasty shit in 4lo. and i have a automatic..
Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
4lo pulled me through this mess with no problem

that last pic is awesome! GRRRRR!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
aftermath picture. it was dark so i didnt get any of it in action. but drop it in 2nd and 4lo and put it in the floor

Old 03-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #20
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
IMO 4hi is for snowy roads and 4lo is for trails. Since I don't see to many mud pits in the street I'm gonna go with 4lo.