Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Pros and Cons of Bolting or Welding Rock Sliders

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
I have a shovel and no one will miss you...
TidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant future

Name: Mendy
TidalWave's Tacoma Gallery
Pros and Cons of Bolting or Welding Rock Sliders

Ok, so one of the first mods i am looking into are some rock sliders- i like the way they look, i think they will protect my doors from knuckleheads door dinging me, and eventually id like to take this thing out in the desert to play. The ones I was looking at on CL are 1 3/4 .120 wall tubing and apprear to be round, not square.

I can see that bolting them on would be easy, and easily removed if i ever decided to do something else.

I would think welding would be prefered if one were taking these over rocks.

I have read in this forum that some started with welded, then went to bolt on. Just wondering what the preference is.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest difference is cost. I can't speak for other bolt on's but the CBI no drill bolt on's i have are just as strong if not stronger than weld on sliders. The biggest upside is that you don't need an angle grinder to get them off but belive me they are not! easy to get back off. My friend cut his weld on sliders off in about an hour. It took me an hour to pry one slider off.
If you have access to a welder i would recommend getting the weld on sliders haha. Just make sure you have big enough frame plate's or they will rip the frame open like a can.

I personally went with CBI's bolt ons because they required no drilling or welding. At the time i put them on i didn't have access to a welder and it was rather straight forward.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have CBI bolt ons. They are beasts! For 05+ we do need to drill the frame.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Name: Nate
Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
does anyone know if you could just bolt on the places that already have the drilled holes on the frame, and weld on places that don't have holes on the frame. I hate to drill on my brand new 2011 taco. Any thoughts about this?
Haha so you are ok with welding on your new 2011 frame, but not drilling just a couple of holes?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsly862 View Post
Haha so you are ok with welding on your new 2011 frame, but not drilling just a couple of holes?
you can always gring the welds off, the holes are permanent
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
you can always gring the welds off, the holes are permanent
Welds will grind off great! but the paint burnt off the inside of the frame can't be reapplied very easily just a thought.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
TidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Search, countless threads on the same issue............
Shame on me for asking a question, and not for asking everyone to post similar pictures in different threads. My bad. Its the n00b seaping out.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Inside of what, the c channel frame?

remember, its not boxed.

Just undo the brake line supports, and spray away......been there done that........

OK, u got me, 1 leg is close to the front where it is boxed........damnit

Weld em, itll be just fine....U can always remove em later and cover any scuffs......not sure about holes tho
Thanks! I think after reading the mentioned threads above as well as many different other threads, i will go with weld on. Now to read on to figured out which ones..... hmmmm...