Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

SCUBA MOD - Relocating Front & Rear Diff, Tranny, Transfer Case and E-Locker Breather

Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
snowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of light

snowmansgarage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
thanks for looking into it. i too was trying to find replacement procedures for it. i found that they use the 33101U on most M/T even in their cars. the replacement for it is actually a different part number but i can find no procedures for removal.

I just hate to try and remove and ruin something. a nice easy fix would be if you could just pop that silver cap off and hose clamp a line to it. not sure what one looks like with the silver cap off. i'm tempted to sacrifice the one i have in my fuel door for the time being...

this is the replacement part # i believe. its for a 99 rav4 but ive seen the same part for certain toyota cars so i think it is a pretty universal component for their M/Ts. they make it sound like it is replaced with a different part. 90930-03148

33101U PLUG, BREATHER(FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION) 90930-03148
Here is the factory diff breather taken apart:
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, it's a one way check valve that lets vapor out of the differential, but nothing back in.

So, (apparently) our differentials get contaminated from air/ water/ mud slipping in from the axle seals when they go underwater and there is negative pressure inside the differential. Nature abhors a vacuum, afterall.

Relocating the breather (with a 2 way one) high up allows the expanded gas to escape and also air back in when the gears cool... breaking the vacuum.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i took that same pic and was going to post it when i update my build thread.

you can just pull the silver cap off and remove the spring and valve cover and re install the silver cap

when i finally get my pics up on my build thread i'll show how i routed all of them into the cab. let me tell you the tranny was a PITA! it took some work but worth it in the end.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Or you could get one of these...

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #25
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah i seen those and liked em but i think they were 20 bucks right?? cant remember. I think a guy could fab something like that right?

edit: dont they have those things for toy cars. the kids hit them and they make the car shoot down the track? i thought ive seen something like that before...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #26
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i seen those and liked em but i think they were 20 bucks right?? cant remember. I think a guy could fab something like that right?

edit: dont they have those things for toy cars. the kids hit them and they make the car shoot down the track? i thought ive seen something like that before...
Good memory - trail gear $19
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #27
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Or you could get one of these...

Do those things work just as well? Any field testers?

Are there any issues with them? It just seems so much more convenient than routing tubes all over place.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #28

cant see why they wouldnt work well... would just be more expensive seeings you have 5 breathers to deal with. the 2 in the engine bay could be combined though so you would need 3-4 depending on if you combined the tranny with the transfer case. thats 60 bucks! i would rather route mine with some inexpensive tubing and plastic unions and hose clamps.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cant see why they wouldnt work well...
I'm just not sure they will have enough space for expending gases. I have to see one in person I suppose.

Update: wouldn't it be like holding a small balloon underwater? I'm guessing it will probably get ripped off the metal piece under water unless you put the clamp on pretty freking tight.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #30

Ok so with the help of Shadow Warrior and other threads here I was able to get this done What a pain the discoery process was but all in all I could have done this in under 2 hours.

My In Cab Breather Mod
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #31
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
yo im tryin to do this today on my auto gen 1 and i was hopin maybe someone could help me out

i just took out the center console and gear shifter and i believe i found one vent i think the tranny

im tryin to get some pics up

any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #34
bromagen25 will become famous soon enoughbromagen25 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
bromagen25's Tacoma Gallery
so is this mod for the 2.7 4cyl as well? i have done the rear diff just wondering about the others that need to be extended and if so are they located in the same spot as on the v6
Old 06-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #35
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #36
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
I will probably be extending all the breathers in the near future. I did not think I would be going through deep water ever, but after my second trip through the woods I found out that I would be going through some deep stuff more often than I thought.

I did hear a funny noise, but it went away and I havent heard anything since so I think I'm good.

Besides intake, breathers, cab plugs and possibly door seals, what else should be made water tight in order to do some deep water crossings? Is there any vulerable components in the engine compartment that might get water in them if the water comes in through the grille?
Attached Thumbnails
SCUBA MOD - Relocating Front & Rear Diff, Tranny, Transfer Case and E-Locker Breather-5611289889_78232f903a.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #38
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I will probably be extending all the breathers in the near future. I did not think I would be going through deep water ever, but after my second trip through the woods I found out that I would be going through some deep stuff more often than I thought.

I did hear a funny noise, but it went away and I havent heard anything since so I think I'm good.

Besides intake, breathers, cab plugs and possibly door seals, what else should be made water tight in order to do some deep water crossings? Is there any vulerable components in the engine compartment that might get water in them if the water comes in through the grille?

Apply di-electric grease on all electrical connections you can get too. For really deep stuff (which you probably shouldn't using a gas engine anyway), seal or re-locate your ECU (I have sealed mine as the stock location is pretty high up to begin with).

Also, look into an electric fan conversion, or carry a belt short enough to allow you to disconect your fan from the belt drive. (Electrical fan is MUCH easier.)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #39
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Well considering wheel bearings have very little (to none) grease in them I would say this is another item to be worry about.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #40
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
What is the main advantage/purpose of converting to electric fan? So the fan will work when the belt slips?