Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

SCUBA MOD - Relocating Front & Rear Diff, Tranny, Transfer Case and E-Locker Breather

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #41
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
What is the main advantage/purpose of converting to electric fan? So the fan will work when the belt slips?
Think of what happens when the plastic fan blades hit water (non compressible).....yup, you can EASILY throw a blade. Even if you only throw one blade, your fan is now unbalanced wich will not work well. For deep crossings you want to shut the fan off. Easy way is if you have an electric fan, its just a switch. If you have belt fan, you need to remove the belt to get the fan off the drive.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #42
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
lol... The answer was more obvious than I anticipated... Did not realize I had a belt driven fan.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #43
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
Think of what happens when the plastic fan blades hit water (non compressible).....yup, you can EASILY throw a blade. Even if you only throw one blade, your fan is now unbalanced wich will not work well. For deep crossings you want to shut the fan off. Easy way is if you have an electric fan, its just a switch. If you have belt fan, you need to remove the belt to get the fan off the drive.
also i heard better MPGs with an electric fan

anyone do a write up or anything about installing them?

btw i still havent gotten my tanny or t-case vents rerouted. they are just so damn hard to get to!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #44
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
lol... The answer was more obvious than I anticipated... Did not realize I had a belt driven fan.
haha yeah, this is one thing MANY ppl overlook. At the end of the day, the best thing you can do is avoid deep crossings. No matter what you do, our gas engines do not like it much. All this should be more of a preventative thing for a "just in case" scenario rather than going out and trying to be a submarine.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #46
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
Where is this located. Did you replace your leaf springs with coil springs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
So on ours we don't have to worry about doing a mod for the e-locker on TRD Off Road models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
That's right.

I just routed the Front diff, ADD, M/T, Transfer Case and Rear Differential into my cab the other day. I also pulled the 9 plugs underneath the cab, that did not feel very water tight i might add, and flipped them over, siliconed them and stuck them back in. my cab is completely water proof except for the door seals which i am looking into at the moment. once i get a snorkel i will have zero worries I took a lot of pics and plan on getting them on my build page along with a link to this one for references.

I understand that the pressure of the water under the truck is supposed to keep those rubber plugs sealed but i didn't like it at all. you'll see when you check them out. 3 in the middle and 3 on both the driver and passenger sides for a total of 9.

I might add we DO have a e-locker motor breather. It goes into a crossmember above the diff.

As of now I've done nothing with mine. I've submerged it plenty of times with no water contamination. None-the-less...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #47
Deathcure is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Deathcure's Tacoma Gallery
sub for later
Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #48
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #49
gmcuajo is on a distinguished road
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Does the stock breather have something to prevent the water entering? What I mean is if you go into a high pond, or cross a high place with water, for just like one time for some seconds do you really need to do this? The stock breather should have something...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #50
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcuajo View Post
Does the stock breather have something to prevent the water entering? What I mean is if you go into a high pond, or cross a high place with water, for just like one time for some seconds do you really need to do this? The stock breather should have something...
This is what's confusing for people... the muddy water does NOT enter through the one way vent (it really isn't a breather, as it only lets air out).

When you drive into water with a hot differential, the temperature change creates a vacuum inside the diff. The water (muddy or not) will suck into the differential past the axle seals...

The solution is to break any vacuum from being created, and a breather (2 way vent) mounted higher than any water crossing level allows air to fill in instead of water. THIS IS THE SAME THING TOYOTA DOES FOR THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL, and that is what we do to the back with the mod.

I think I made it very easy to do with the photos I posted... see link in my sig, below...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #51
gmcuajo is on a distinguished road
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
When you drive into water with a hot differential, the temperature change creates a vacuum inside the diff. The water (muddy or not) will suck into the differential past the axle seals...
Thanks man! That's true... Help a lot!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #52
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Genius thread OP! Sub'd, rep'd, nominated for a Nobel Prize.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #53
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
So, does anyone see a problem with tying all the hoses together with "T" parts, and running them all up to one breather (the specter one).

Would sudden pressure from one part cause air contamination to another before escaping out of the breather?

Or, would it be better to just run all hoses independently to their own breathers?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #54
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone needs the bracket for this mod and doesnt want to dremmel one out I can laser cut and bend it and ship it to you. Free you just pay for shipping!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #55
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
If anyone needs the bracket for this mod and doesnt want to dremmel one out I can laser cut and bend it and ship it to you. Free you just pay for shipping!
Hells yeah! PM'd
Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #56
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
PM'd
Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #57
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
So, does anyone see a problem with tying all the hoses together with "T" parts, and running them all up to one breather (the specter one).

Would sudden pressure from one part cause air contamination to another before escaping out of the breather?

Or, would it be better to just run all hoses independently to their own breathers?
Anyone? Seems it would look cleaner to have them all in one breather.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Anyone? Seems it would look cleaner to have them all in one breather.
IMO I think you'd be alright to do that, you'd just need to take care in planning out the fitting sizes to ensure they all flowed together seamlessly. I'm doing my breathers this summer and will take a long hard look at the cleanest and efficient way to route everything.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #59
Raoul Duke is on a distinguished road

Name: CJ
Raoul Duke's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #60
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not sure if it would matter or not, but I'd want separate breathers. When you drop a hot differential or transmission into cold water, they rapidly cool and can create a decent amount of suction, granted it's only a short burst but still, I wouldn't want them sucking against each other. Say your one breather filter gets plugged, now it impacts everything, not just one part. When breathers get plugged and there is a vacuum in the differential, they will relieve the pressure somehow. If the breather is plugged, there is a potential to pull water in past the seals. If you do tie them together, I'd use a very large breather so there is really no chance of it getting plugged. Also, where they tie together, make sure you step up in pipe size each time a new line ties in for the same reason.