Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

SCUBA MOD - Relocating Front & Rear Diff, Tranny, Transfer Case and E-Locker Breather

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #61
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm not sure if it would matter or not, but I'd want separate breathers. When you drop a hot differential or transmission into cold water, they rapidly cool and can create a decent amount of suction, granted it's only a short burst but still, I wouldn't want them sucking against each other. Say your one breather filter gets plugged, now it impacts everything, not just one part. When breathers get plugged and there is a vacuum in the differential, they will relieve the pressure somehow. If the breather is plugged, there is a potential to pull water in past the seals. If you do tie them together, I'd use a very large breather so there is really no chance of it getting plugged. Also, where they tie together, make sure you step up in pipe size each time a new line ties in for the same reason.
I was thinking you'd end up with a large line once they're all tied in. Might be easier to create a small plate steel bracket in the engine bay so three or four breathers could be mounted dress-right-dress.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #62
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm not sure if it would matter or not, but I'd want separate breathers. When you drop a hot differential or transmission into cold water, they rapidly cool and can create a decent amount of suction, granted it's only a short burst but still, I wouldn't want them sucking against each other. Say your one breather filter gets plugged, now it impacts everything, not just one part. When breathers get plugged and there is a vacuum in the differential, they will relieve the pressure somehow. If the breather is plugged, there is a potential to pull water in past the seals. If you do tie them together, I'd use a very large breather so there is really no chance of it getting plugged. Also, where they tie together, make sure you step up in pipe size each time a new line ties in for the same reason.
My worries exactly. I think I will make a different version of this mod and post it up later.

One with all independent breathers run to the same location and fixed to a mount plate that has a cover on it. I'll try
Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #63
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
^ Did it.

Without the two-way breathers, my diff fluids had water contamination after dunking a few times. But when I put in the two-way breathers, the fluid came out clean after dunking even more times than before.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ather-mod.html
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #65
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the breather I built. I'll install everything once the liquid gasket sets up.

Link

Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #66
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a question. Has anyone tested the breather on the tansfer case and transmission to see if it's actually a one-way valve? I'm in the middle of my breather relocation and put the new line in for the transfer/transmission last night. I checked to see if the oem valve was still working properly and discovered that it was a two-way valve. It looks just like the valve on the rear diff, except that there isn't a ball bearing in it.

So is this a bad part, or is it intended to be an open line?