1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SCUBA MOD - Relocating Front & Rear Diff, Tranny, Transfer Case and E-Locker Breather

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Shadow-Warrior, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sep 24, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    Shadow-Warrior

Shadow-Warrior [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD FJ Crusier
    To Many to list here
    This should also work for the TACO's too.

Historic Background For Doing This MOD

Toyota has moved the Front Differential and Front Actuator breathers up high in the engine bay already for you, but neglected to move the Rear Differential breather, E-Locker breather, Transsmission & Transfer Case Breathers. Those with the MT will only have one breather in the engine bay area, you don't have the front actuator like the AT's do. I decided to relocate the breathers up high too, I would normally run all breathers inside the vehicle, but since the front is already in the engine bay. I decided to run the rear differential & Locker there too. I want to say this has been a collective effort by many on doing this Breather MOD.

Check out this video on Diff Breathers

Diff Breathers for 4x4

"IF YOU DON'T TRAVEL IN HIGH WATER, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS MOD"

I will start off with my own way of accomplishing this first. I have added Blackcherry's & Dukeofjuke’s MOD location at the end of this post. This is mainly do to mine being a little more complete and clear as far as following along with directions, pictures and tools needed to do this MOD.

To do my way of the Filter location in the engine bay you will need the following items:

Need to Purchase

1. 15’ of ¼” Fuel line. (Shop around, I paid .85 cents a foot, I have seen it for 1.85 a foot)
    2. You will need to order a Toyota Camry Fuel Line Union Part # 90404-51026 ($3.50)
    3. You will need to buy (3) small ¼ inch Hose clamps
    4. You will need some plastic Zip Tie’s for securing the hose from the rear to the engine bay.
    5. You will need a small piece of 16ga steel (This can be purchased from Lowe's or Home Depot)
    6. Rustolem Flat Black paint (If you don’t have any, Check with Dragon I’m sure he has plenty lying around. He's the undisputed “Rattle Can King”. J/K
    7. You will need to buy a small 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/8" “T” for tying in the E-Locker hose to the Rear Differential Hose. This can be purchased at any Automotive store for under a dollar.

Tools Needed

1. You will need a standard screw driver (for Hose clamps)
    2. You will need a Dremel Tool with Cut-off wheels or a Hand held Grinder with cut-off wheel.
    3. Knife to cut the fuel hose to length
    4. Your going to need some sand paper and metal file to smooth out the edges of the bracket.

The Following are some pictures of the items as listed above.

T_d58f5fed0b905ac86eb5cf3ecc2d218fceaf742c.jpg

This is a 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/8” “T” You can pick these up at any Automotive store for under $1.00

Union_826b382a7c9ff561247ff169b655a5419bbae7e3.jpg

Here is a picture of the Toyota Camry “Union” part number # 90404-51026

I found a nice small air breather from AutoZone, $9.95 It’s made by “Spectre” Part number 3992, they come in different colors, Silver, Blue, Red, Yellow,etc. The following are pictures of the small colored Filters, they are very similar to a K&N filter. I used a little oil on mine to keep it water proof too.

I went ahead and did the leg work for everyone for the small colored breathers.

Here is the following part numbers for the colored filters

Specter Part number # 3992 Red Breather

Specter Part number # 3994 Yellow Breather

Specter Part number # 3995 Silver Breather

Specter Part number # 3996 Blue Breather

Specter Part number # 3998 White Breather

Here is the web site : Spectre Performance - Official Site

You can also find them in your local automotive store too.

0_e1a6d67b4b35db161cfed579c74805fc728ee4b4.jpg

I decided to stay with the TRD theme, (Red). I also purchased 20 feet of ¼ fuel line for running the hose to the engine bay. I shopped around a bit for it, Pep Boys wanted $1.85 a foot, I found it at O’Reillys for .85 cents a foot.

1_eb3919097639b85ab6c7d6e3e0ed8f89ff4d290c.jpg

I had some 16ga steel left some from my CB mount MOD and Fuse box MOD, so I used this material for making my breather bracket. You can purchase this at Lowe’s or Home Depot for under $10.00 I decided along the drivers side close to the firewall for the breather location.

2_d41122f9a84d72da8224cc17660266cccd8de74a.jpg

I measured a 2” wide, 5” long would be just right for the bracket. I also decided to make one end round. I used my dremmel tool with cut-off wheel to cut the shape out; you can use a handheld grinder, etc. I then drilled out a ¾ inch hole for the filter. I then bent the bracket 2.5 inches back from the top of the bracket. My wife had the camera so, I couldn’t take any pics of the bracket at this stage.

3_71445d5868a36799cdd182939785cdf47b875bee.jpg

I then sprayed the bracket with gray primer, then a coat of flat black.

4_ae0f12043d771f320272e4cbf63db1c9d2730d56.jpg

I bought a self tapping metal screw with lock washer for attachment to the firewall.

5_67f6d71d946c2df836d5479fcd1a0da063fd1426.jpg

I attached the breather to the bracket, then the hose to the breather, then ran the hose along the bottom under the vehicle.

7_56b15714e2d20a72f07ed242a16d021b06acc93d.jpg

I attached the hose with tie wraps along the frame.

Rear-Diff_5dea5e8b141e06b2546ab51a8e4cd10a7580e7d0.jpg

In this pic you can see I left a good portion of the hose and then cut it off, tie wrapping it to the cross bar. Please don not cut the hose off to short, you want to leave enough room for your rear axel to be able to articulate without pulling out the hose from the Union.

Rear-New_3214292f09a8387ff73837488043612cca25ee15.jpg

The new Union installed.

E-Locker-1_e0935f42c01938f2e4dc93fe7430d9060d4379fc.jpg

This is a pic of the existing E-Locker location, This is what we are going to remove and install the “T” to. You need to cut about 3-4 inches from the locker hose breather end off. See the "CUT Line in the above pic. Then push the "T" into the small locker hose. I then used (2) small ties wraps for securing it, hose clamps are to small.

FinishedTieIn_8f6c5ab2fddef650b5de4dfd5284a3e8db753f34.jpg

The newly installed "T" run from the Rear Differential Hose & E-Locker then into the Main hose which runs all the way to the engine bay.

Finished_48fe5e7b8af0ac1d06e8ee0c332019a6fd6bd05d.jpg

Finished Rear Differential & E-Locker Breather location in the engine bay.

Auto Transmission & Transfer case breather location & information for relocation of breathers.

A new member Jim (007FJ) took the time to wade through hundreds of pages of the Repair manual to find the Transmission Breather and Transfer case breather locations. I new they were there, but never took the time to go find them since they were located higher up inside under the vehicle. With that being said, I too will be relocating these too just like the rear differential and E-Locker breathers. If your running in deep water it pays to take the time and relocate all your breathers up high to prevent damage to the drive train. Thanks again Jim and to the others that have helped to make us all water tight out the on the trails.

Here are the following Schematics of the locations of the AT Transmission & Transfer Case breathers.

Auto Transmission Breather Location (MT doesn't have this Breather)
    Transmission_87848e6f82a674f2adcb0655246b3036f2aeb212.jpg

Here is the MT (Manual Transmission Breather Location)
    MT-Breather_a4452b8ba3b9726356c049a2ffd4bc66e8ce25a1.jpg

Transfer Case Breather Location
    TransferCase_9454d1619b7eb606f94ebc9ca4bacd3f5a6abc19.jpg

These will need to be relocated up high also either in the engine bay, rear jack storage area or somewhere up high out of the way of any water getting to them.

Transmission & Transfer Case Breathers:

If you open the hood and along the passenger side towards the rear of the the top of the engine, you need to reach down inside and feel. You will find (2) breathers right on top, a plastic one (this is the Automatic Transmission Breather) and a small silver cap one like the E-Locker breather. Both of these need to be removed and placed higher inside the engine bay.

I reached down between the firewall and the rear of the engine and squeezed the hose clamp holding the Plastic AT breather on, I slid it downwards out of the way. I then twisted and pulled on the plastic breather, it pulled off pretty easily.

The AT Transmission Breather after removal
    ATValve_c2b994158e639be94a02b28a19d38ba130dddc1c.jpg

I then took some ¼” hose with a ¼” brass coupling and attached it to one end of the hose, securing with a tie wrap. I then sprayed WD 40 on the other exposed end of the brass fitting to allow an easy transition on to the hose. It slid on nicely, I then used another tie wrap to secure that end on to the hose.

New Hose & Coupling to run the breather up into the engine bay higher.
    ATExtension_4b8ba9581e4d8f85e809f19dd290e2f38034b23c.jpg

Newly installed Coupling coming from the the Transmission.
    ExtensionInstalled_15fa9021a0256ef5aa0da5b88104dd6a8ddcfc27.jpg

I then reached down between the firewall and the rear of the engine and grasped hold of the Transfer Case Breather, it is the metal one like the locker. This one is very easy to remove, just pull firmly and it will slide right off. I then put together another brass 1/8” coupling and installed it on one end of the 1/8” hose. I secured it with another tie wrap. I reached down and slid this one on to the remaining hose. I again secured it with another tie wrap to keep it from coming off.

New 1/8" Hose and Coupling to run the breather up into the engine bay higher.
    TransferCaseExtension_fc965211c1e268d1b684dfa2447b8e30aab0c46e.jpg

I then reached down between the firewall and the rear of the engine and grasped hold of the Transfer Case Breather, it is the metal one like the locker. This one is very easy to remove, just pull firmly and it will slide right off. I then put together another brass 1/8” coupling and installed it on one end of the 1/8” hose. I secured it with another tie wrap.

Newly Installed Coupling coming from the Transfer Case.
    TransferCaseExtensionInstalled_d915a62eaeb01f51503e8782a79b0fe09779d9b7.jpg

I reached down and slid this one on to the remaining hose. I again secured it with another tie wrap to keep it from coming off.

BothInstalled_680b6d7603f843ea8531fea5492ec8ef1ad9a663.jpg

The finshed run of both hoses located higher in the engine bay. I will at a latter date replace the stock valves with a Filter like the Rear Differential and E-Locker.

The new relocated Rear Differential, E-locker, Transmission, Transfer Case breathers completely installed and ready for some SCUBA Driving . I hope this will help others that do any kind of water crossings.

Breather Cost $9.95
    Fuel Line Cost $15.00
    Hardware Cost $ 1.50
    “T” Cost $.50
    Leftover Metal $ Free
    Union Cost $3.75
    Knowing that water can’t get in and damage your rear differential; Priceless

So, for under $30.00 I have the piece of mind of no contamination to the Rear Differential & E-Locker and it looks good too
    Good luck to all you SCUBA Drivers out there:D

SCUBA Drivers Unite!
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Blackcherry’s Location MOD

New location for the breather is in Fuel Door Opening.

Dukeofjuke’s Location MOD

breathermod_efb40db5431bcd1ba2de8e5baad5f067867b92c4.jpg

I took a different approach to relocating my rear differential breather. I popped out the rubber seal/plug just behind the driver's side mud flap and ran the rubber hose into the access panel where the jack is stored. I cut a small circular hole in the rubber seal/plug and then applied some silicon.

2. Sep 24, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    You are on a roll.

3. Sep 24, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    Shadow-Warrior

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD FJ Crusier
    To Many to list here

LOL...Yeh, I thought I should also give to this forum also. So I decided to post some info I thought others here may use too. Just trying to be helpful :)

Mike

I got to pull my own weight around here LOL. :D

4. Sep 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I believe you have more than started.

5. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    You are good to have around. Excellent contributions so far! :thumbsup:

6. Sep 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Shadow...

i thought that post looked familiar. I am over on FJCruiserforums under Kilted Chiken.

Recently did this mod on my FJ but i didn't use the breather you did, I reused the one off of the e-locker.

anywho welcome to TW

fatfurious2 likes this.
  7. Sep 24, 2008 at 9:16 PM
    Shadow-Warrior

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD FJ Crusier
    To Many to list here
    Thank You sir :)

Thanks, yeh you can use the stock breather too or any other item that you like. Glad it could help. :)

Thanks, I try :D

Mike

8. Sep 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    man shadow you are everywere now lol

9. Sep 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM
    Shadow-Warrior

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD FJ Crusier
    To Many to list here
    Just trying to help others out ;)

Mike

10. Feb 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
  11. Aug 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Well I found the T-Case and M/T Breathers thanks to your diagram Shadow-Warrior. thanks, I've been looking for this info for a while. Now that i found them i have a question for anyone who can help. The T-Case breather runs on top of the tranny up to the back of the engine and has a decent foot of slack laying up against the rear of the engine. However, the Manual Transmission Breather is another story.

Does any one know if it is pressed in and requires removal of the tranny? Also, what does it look like under the silver cap? Could I pull the cap off and just hook a hose to the union tube underneath it (if the shape of it underneath the silver cap will suffice)? Or does it simply unscrew. i felt it and it seems circular with no edges for a wrench or pliers...

I made a video so all could get a good look and put in their 2 cents (and hey, it may help someone to locate it easier i guess, hope im not crowding your thread just seemed like the logical place to put it...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQ093thBQ8

12. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Great video and better questions - I do think that they are screwed in.

Have you checked the Factory Service Manual?

13. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Guy

I scannned all the sections of the FSM and I can't find anything on it... I also looked for assembly info on the A750F and I can't find anything on it. Wonder if anyone has access to ALLDATA?

14. Aug 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    thanks for looking into it. i too was trying to find replacement procedures for it. i found that they use the 33101U on most M/T even in their cars. the replacement for it is actually a different part number but i can find no procedures for removal.

I just hate to try and remove and ruin something. a nice easy fix would be if you could just pop that silver cap off and hose clamp a line to it. not sure what one looks like with the silver cap off. i'm tempted to sacrifice the one i have in my fuel door for the time being...

this is the replacement part # i believe. its for a 99 rav4 but ive seen the same part for certain toyota cars so i think it is a pretty universal component for their M/Ts. they make it sound like it is replaced with a different part. 90930-03148

33101U PLUG, BREATHER(FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION) 90930-03148

15. Sep 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I just looked under the hood and saw two breather right near where you moved them. I assume those are transfer case and tranny. Can anyone confirm these have been moved for 2009+?

I can't find any breathers rear of the engine.

16. Sep 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Where is this located. Did you replace your leaf springs with coil springs?

17. Sep 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    You don't have that. its only on the FJs

18. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    So on ours we don't have to worry about doing a mod for the e-locker on TRD Off Road models?

19. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Those are the front diff breather and the other for the electronic box (it's too early for me). Many people raise these too.

20. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    That's right.

I just routed the Front diff, ADD, M/T, Transfer Case and Rear Differential into my cab the other day. I also pulled the 9 plugs underneath the cab, that did not feel very water tight i might add, and flipped them over, siliconed them and stuck them back in. my cab is completely water proof except for the door seals which i am looking into at the moment. once i get a snorkel i will have zero worries :) I took a lot of pics and plan on getting them on my build page along with a link to this one for references.

I understand that the pressure of the water under the truck is supposed to keep those rubber plugs sealed but i didn't like it at all. you'll see when you check them out. 3 in the middle and 3 on both the driver and passenger sides for a total of 9.

Products Discussed in

To Top