Notices

Off-Road Tips and Gear List

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
Databox is on a distinguished road
Army: Airframe Mechanic
Databox's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd was fixin to ask the exact same thing.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #24
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I think is important to mention is to make sure you know how to use your recovery gear. Make sure you trial run everything to insure you have everything you need! Take that high lift jack and figure out exactly how to use it as a come along. You need a few lengths of chain, several hooks and shackles, tree strap and long straps, extra lengths of this and that. Or you can go buy that hi lift "off road kit", but that still doesn't come with everything you need. Don't go trying to figure it out when your out there by yourself stuck in some mud hole at 2am (as I have). Also make sure you have your whole kit in your truck, not half the kit in one truck and half the kit in your other truck that's back home in the garage. Then you realize you left all of your shackles in your other truck when your out there and you need them...

I used a couple old rusty hi lift jacks for years, then bought a brand new one last year and trusted that it would work fine. It did not! It locked up with the truck up in the air several times and it gave me hell for the first few trips out, till I finally got mad at it and started leaving it muddy and not taking care of it. The mud, dirt, and rust finally broke it in, wore the paint off, and it works perfectly now. So don't just buy something and assume it will work, test it out on your local trail before you get into more serious trails.

Make sure you know how to use your tools, and how to replace broken things. Also take those dam security nuts off your wheels. I've been stranded 3 times now because I forgot to take them off of a new truck and either the key went flying into the mud, the truck didn't come with the key, or I stripped the key completely while trying to use it. Note that a 3/4 12 point socket will remove those security nuts in a pinch.

Never underestimate the BS that can happen to you when you're just out for a casual run down some local back road. 95% of my getting stuck or breaking something scenarios happen when I'm just out some side road on my way home from work, or out for a 30 minute Sunday drive in the woods. That's when I don't have all of my gear with me and end up having to call somebody to bring a part or a strap or something to get me out.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
PFA1975 is on a distinguished road

Marines: S.E.A.
Name: PFA
PFA1975's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd