Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trail Rigs - How do you transport it?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Trail Rigs - How do you transport it?

I have just bought a 2nd truck to use as a trail rig ('87 4Runner). It will be street legal - just not setup for an hour or two drive at highway speeds. It probably won't have the AC or radio working this summer so I would raither not drive it to off road parks in the Texas summer.

So - I plan on using my Tacoma to pull the rig. My question to everyone here is how do you transport your trail rigs? Do you drive them to the trail head? Trailer them to the trail head or use a tow bar attached to the rig to pull the 2nd vehicle straight from the first? Pros and Cons please - I'm about to drop some more money and I want to make sure I do it the right way.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
You can do what we did with the pull bar on it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never seen anyone use a tow bar for a trail rig

My vote is for a trailer but check the weight first
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco76087 View Post
You can do what we did with the pull bar on it.

I'm leaning that direction because it will be cheaper up front and less weight for the truck to pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Ive never seen anyone use a tow bar for a trail rig

My vote is for a trailer but check the weight first

The weight thing is one of the aspects I'm weighing in on when trailering.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would trailer it. You can break on the trail and still get it home. If you break the suspension or axle you probably won't be able to flat tow it back.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
k20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joseph
k20me's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would trailer it. You can break on the trail and still get it home. If you break the suspension or axle you probably won't be able to flat tow it back.
Agreed. I tow my Samurai whenever I take it out far. If you flat tow it, you'll have to be more cautious with your rig so you don't break something.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
k20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joseph
k20me's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed. I trailer my Samurai whenever I take it out far. If you flat tow it, you'll have to be more cautious with your rig so you don't break something.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20me View Post
Agreed. I trailer my Samurai whenever I take it out far. If you flat tow it, you'll have to be more cautious with your rig so you don't break something.
Quote:

Any other benefits to a trailer? Special setups for their trailers and rigs?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Any other benefits to a trailer? Special setups for their trailers and rigs?
I have seen a few custom trailers to keep them as light as possible. Other have extra storage for tires and parts.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
They did a whole show on this on Extreme 4X4 on spike t.v., the basics were trailer being able to hold the weight, brakes on trailer, truck that can actually pull the trailer/trail rig, DOT tie downs on trailer...the list can go on and on, but if you hurt the trail rig then a trailer will get it home. But the trailer will cost you some $$ also if you have trailer brakes then you need a brake controlling system
Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quickly "do the math"....will your Tacoma be able to pull the "Runna" and a trailer SAFELY ???? Upgrading your brakes ,even just a controller will ad co$t....

Local group up here has seen the "rigs" grow from "driven" to tow-bar,then upgrade to Tow-dolly BUT they also upgrade their Tow-Rigs.... Then the final upgrade is a trailer with a Heavy-duty tow rig....$$$$$$$...

Not sure how Texas troopers are BUT in NH, that tow-rig better be legal or your "$itting" until one does arrive....they are tough on small trucks just like us Class 8's....

Do your homework before spending any coin,then make your decisions wisely....Good luck !!!! and have FUN with that RUNNA
Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
They did a whole show on this on Extreme 4X4 on spike t.v., the basics were trailer being able to hold the weight, brakes on trailer, truck that can actually pull the trailer/trail rig, DOT tie downs on trailer...the list can go on and on, but if you hurt the trail rig then a trailer will get it home. But the trailer will cost you some $$ also if you have trailer brakes then you need a brake controlling system

Trailering is nothing new to me - I grew up on a farm. Trailers are an old hand for me. I didn't move alot of other vehicles that could move themself though. I was just wondering if I was going overboard for most people do if I am looking at it a pretty normal way.