Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Toughest tire made

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Toughest tire made

Theres always tire companies that rep their tires are tha shit, that they will withstand anything that you throw at um. And you believe them untill you're out fucking off and you get a blowout. Well i am repping BF Goodrich KM2s as the toughest tire i know!

Post up stories of what and why you think a specific tire is the toughest one so people can get real stories from real offroaders.

So lastnight i was doing a little offroading and got sideways at about 40 and hit a bigass rock! It completely unseeded my tire from the rim! I was about a mile from my house so i just went ahead and drove home on it since i figured i would be buying a new rim and tire anyway. I came out this morning to change it and started looking at it and it looked fine so i went up to walmart and had them blow it back up and BAM . . . . like nothing ever happened!!! The tire isnt messed up at all and it actually saved the rim from getting really messed up, just a few scratches!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all

Name: Gilbert
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea for a thread! I really like the idea of hearing people's first-hand accounts of the toughness of their tires.

And I'm surprised it made it that far! Once, when off roading with a friend, we got a blowout in the desert. Drove it back home, which wasn't too far either, but by the end of it, the tire was shredded and the wires were sticking out. Then again, it was a crappy tire, hahaha
Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
That's bad ass. I hope mine does something similar to that lol..
Old 05-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have KM2s, the sidewalls are flexable, they air down nicely and grip well but the side walls are vulrenable to punctures.

10 psi

and I popped it on a rock in my driveway taking a turn too tightly at 5mph

Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I have KM2s, the sidewalls are flexable, they air down nicely and grip well but the side walls are vulrenable to punctures.

10 psi

and I popped it on a rock in my driveway taking a turn too tightly at 5mph

damn dude, thats just bad luck! You do all that offroading and end up popping it in your driveway! hahaha kinda funny too. But thats the thing about my tire, i drove home with the rim riding on the sidewall of the tire which is why the rim isnt messed up! I wouldve thought for sure that the rim wouldve worn a hole in the tire somewhere from all that weight and then narrow edge of the rim. Didnt hardly even scratch the tire
Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
get one of these:

Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I would say Pit Bulls could take the most punishment. A true offroad tire will be the toughest. But the wont be worth a crap on the road.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
We have the original KM's on the Jeep and they have been through hell without a single tear in the sidewall. Couple of nail punctures on the pavement here and there, but no offroad damage. Would definitely buy them again if I could.

I'd also recommend (even I'm surprised...) Pro Comp tires. I bought a set because they were on mega sale and I couldn't pass it up. The A/T "Extreme" have been extremely tough (no damage, lots of rock crawling), have given great traction in all conditions, and have lasted pretty well.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
It seems to me like the original goodyear MTR's are the most popular on hardcore rigs. Maybe for a reason
Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Get a 7 in wide wheel and run 12.5 wides. Poor mans headlocks. Toughest tire I would say BFg baja ta Or military Goodyear or michelins
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all

Name: Gilbert
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the OP meant this as a competition between tires, just for forum members to put up their own testimonials as to what abuse THEIR tires have held up to.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post

Post up stories of what and why you think a specific tire is the toughest one so people can get real stories from real offroaders.
Thought he wanted to know what is the toughest tire
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
I have had one KM1 blow up on the highway. The side walls are chopped up like you wouldnt belive and they are chunking up. Probably the difference between New fresh tires and 3 year old ones that are dried out. Think my next set of tires shall be something Swamper.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i'll tell you what's not...

duratracs...great tires but sidewall not the most reliable

happened while aired down to ~20psi, very rocky terrain but should not have happened
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
This:

On this:

7200lb LX450, taco'ing a sidewall. We drove about 100miles to the trail, spent 10 hours on the trail and drove back home.

Awesome tires.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
are those mickey thompsons?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Yep.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i'll tell you what's not...

duratracs...great tires but sidewall not the most reliable

happened while aired down to ~20psi, very rocky terrain but should not have happened

exactly why i stick with my bfg a/t's. out here in the west, a lot of rocks, etc.

Products Discussed in this Thread