Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Front Bumper

Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
motivated learner
baldbastard is on a distinguished road

baldbastard's Tacoma Gallery
Front Bumper

Living in the San Juan Four Corners region has it's pro's and con's. Pro: access to some of the best outdoor activities in the country right in my back yard. Con: Droves of manically depressed suicidal four legged critters determined to take they're own lives and cost me thousands in damage. Let's face it, the stock front end protection on our beloved tacomas (2nd gen) is pretty much worthless for these kinds of events. All that said, I'm looking for a good aftermarket bumper. I've had some trouble finding anything that isn't in the zombie apocalypse hard core off road category (allpro/shrockworks). Believe me, I'd love to get one (I will be ready when the apocalypse comes, 12/12/12), but I have a 90 mile commute twice a week so adding that much weight and lift is a out of the question. Does anyone have any recommendations, and more importantly, does anyone know of any to stay away from. I definitely don't want to spend money on a cheap "damage multiplyer".
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbastard View Post
Living in the San Juan Four Corners region has it's pro's and con's. Pro: access to some of the best outdoor activities in the country right in my back yard. Con: Droves of manically depressed suicidal four legged critters determined to take they're own lives and cost me thousands in damage. Let's face it, the stock front end protection on our beloved tacomas (2nd gen) is pretty much worthless for these kinds of events. All that said, I'm looking for a good aftermarket bumper. I've had some trouble finding anything that isn't in the zombie apocalypse hard core off road category (allpro/shrockworks). Believe me, I'd love to get one (I will be ready when the apocalypse comes, 12/12/12), but I have a 90 mile commute twice a week so adding that much weight and lift is a out of the question. Does anyone have any recommendations, and more importantly, does anyone know of any to stay away from. I definitely don't want to spend money on a cheap "damage multiplyer".
i dont know that theres a whole lot of middle ground here...you have stock/brushguard/bumper

stock is as you said worthless for said collisions
brushguards could possibly help...but they can also hurt ya a lot more too

aftermarket bumpers such as allpro/shrockworks/ARB etc are pretty much gonna be what you need

My 02 was on stock suspension when i put my ARB bumper on and i didnt notice any significant driving differences or appearance difference on height etc

The ARB only weighs like 75-85 lbs without a winch
Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Are you sure about that? That seems a little light to me. First gen weight maybe? I was under the impression that the ARB was closer to 130-140 without the winch. I know my AllPro is between 90 and 100, without winch. The Shrockworks is about 115-120. Note those weights are from what I recall, not gospel. When I bought my AllPro that was one thing I didn't want, a ton of weight on the front. I did some research and found a thread (TTORA maybe) that had the weights in it... decided to go AllPro. The AllPro works great to hold a winch... but I'd want the Shrockworks to fend off 4 legged critters.
its quite possible that the new ones weigh more than that...as they are bigger...but mine doesnt qualify as "heavy" in my book...i was able install it all myself

regardless...the ARB was DESIGNED to run over suicidal creatures that dart out in front of the truck (see: Kangaroo)

anyways...theyre probably all similar weight and i dont think theyre so much they require any suspension modification if you dont add a winch...
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
motivated learner

My main problem is that damn commute. Can't afford to have my mpg tank because I bought a really heavy bumper and requires a lift. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it but this is my main vehicle for now. Plus, the zombie apocalypse is still a few years off. Wish there was some middle ground here (I think it's called a "Prius"). Winter is pretty much here, mountains turned white over the weekend and the bigger four legged critters are on they're way.
It's a simple equation; elk+ice=bad x lots of $$.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
motivated learner

I was talking to a guy at work today and he gave me the number of a guy who does custom bumpers and grills. Hopefully he knows what he's doing. airbags and other sensors can be funny things. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
hey check out xtreme450's bumper. I'm pretty sure he made it himself out of aluminum. Probably has some good input.
yep, made it myself. its made out of 1/4" and 1/2" plate with 2"x.125 wall tube and it's only about 80-90lbs!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
You should speak to Jeff at Badland Bumpers. He makes some stout shit.

He had one of his bumpers on his Tacoma, well it's on his newer Tacoma and it barely has a dent on it.
I know I've seen it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
motivated learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
yep, made it myself. its made out of 1/4" and 1/2" plate with 2"x.125 wall tube and it's only about 80-90lbs!
Strong work man. Looks stout. Were there any issues with the airbag sensors?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbastard View Post
Strong work man. Looks stout. Were there any issues with the airbag sensors?
they're an inertia-type sensor so there shouldn't be any reason the bumper would interfere with the system.