Notices

Locker, sliders, skids, or winch?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
awesome
Dole is on a distinguished road
Marines: masta gunna!!!
Dole's Tacoma Gallery
Locker, sliders, skids, or winch?

I dont come here often but when I do my questions usually gets answered. I have started to get more into wheeling and looking to add stuff to the truck. My question is which order should I get these parts? Eventually they will all be on but I am curious in which you found the most helpful? Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sliders and skids at the same time then winch then locker. Protection first always then recovery then traction. Depending on what you do maybe recovery first.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably go with sliders first, then locker, skids then winch. I would probably get bumpers before the winch even though you don't have those listed.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Locker then sliders then skids and then a winch. thats the way i would do it. if I were to do just those mods but there is a lot more in between that I would do.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension, Sliders, Skids, Lockers, Bumper, Winch... etc.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Yup sliders first the stock skid will do fine for awhile. No offence JLEE but a locker will only get you into rougher terrain sliders will protect the body.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Just like a condom, you need protection before you can get yourself in trouble (locker).
Im going to have to steal that If you get stuck you can get tugged out. If you smash your rockers.... you cant fix that with a tow strap.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I put a nice scrape in my door. It cost me 2.5 sets of sliders to fix it.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Suspension, Sliders, Skids, Lockers, Bumper, Winch... etc.

x2
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I dented the lower part of my passenger door and my passenger lower front bed side where sliders would have saved me. Luckily the dents popped out for the most part and no damage to the paint. Herculiner is some good stuff lol.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Im going to have to steal that If you get stuck you can get tugged out. If you smash your rockers.... you cant fix that with a tow strap.
Why the heck would you be going through crazy rock sections without protection. Thats a bit stupid if you ask me.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Sliders and skids at the same time then winch then locker. Protection first always then recovery then traction. Depending on what you do maybe recovery first.
I agree
Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Just like a condom, you need protection before you can get yourself in trouble (locker).
Hahaha new sig for the day
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what terrain you will be in. If you're in the sand then you don't need skids, or sliders. Snow, same thing. Trees, I'd get sliders and a winch, you only need skids when you're in the rocks.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
awesome
Dole is on a distinguished road
Marines: masta gunna!!!
Dole's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input. I have suspension out of the way with Eibachs/5100s and 3" leaf pack. I guess Ill look into sliders and skids. I can make the sliders but not sure where to get skids? Skidrow? Budbuilt? And If I chose to get a locker would a powertrax no slip be ok?

And as far as terrain I will mostly be playing in the rocks. I really want to run the Hell Hole trail by the end of the year
Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Well I got my winch first & have used it over 100 times & have never needed sliders yet. I think it depends on what type of wheeling your going to be doing.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole View Post
Thanks for all the input. I have suspension out of the way with Eibachs/5100s and 3" leaf pack. I guess Ill look into sliders and skids. I can make the sliders but not sure where to get skids? Skidrow? Budbuilt? And If I chose to get a locker would a powertrax no slip be ok?

And as far as terrain I will mostly be playing in the rocks. I really want to run the Hell Hole trail by the end of the year
Armor Tech Offroad makes some stout skids. They will take a beating and ask for more. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...duct-line.html
Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The locker is the most useful addition because it isn't only for climbing rocks (where the skid plates and slider are good to have)... it is to get through any and all poor traction conditions.

Do you want to be stuck at all? Can you keep from driving over big rocks, but might get into mud or poor traction situation?

1) Locker will be of the most benefit.

If you are going to get crazy off road, then do them all... otherwise, do the add ons as you can afford them.

I have had numerous 4x4's and wheeled for 40 years... and never had a winch... always got out under my own power. I have used a tow strap to help OTHERS out, but never for me. Winches are always used to help others from what I have seen... Nice to have, but not needed if you have 4WD, a locker, good tires, good driving skills.