Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

ROAD WARRIORS

Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
ROAD WARRIORS

Who's watching Road Warriors on Spike? I might be in a future episode.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling broke cars out. At the Mint 400 a film helicopter was following my for a good 5 minutes while I had a car on the strap. I'll be retrieving again at the Midnight race coming up July 30.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I was digging the show mucho.

You need to volunteer. The Associations that put on these races don't have deap pockets by any means. I volunteer for both SNORE and BITD. Volunteer info can be found on both of their websites BITD.com and Snoreracing.net. You'll most likely start out as a flagman, taking times and recording car numbers as they pass. I have done this for both. After a few races I was familiar with radio chatter and how the race goes down. I simply asked to be a retrieval for the next race and they said yes. BITD on the other hand, you need to prove yourself. All the guys that do retrievals for them have known each other many years and have been in the game for 10+ years.

And of course you'll need a vehicle that is capable. Not only do you have to tow a vehicle on a strap but you also have to do it on a torn up course. At the last race, I drug skid nearly the whole time pulling a car 7 miles out of the rock garden. On top of that, it's usually not a 2-lane road. You have to see a racer coming and jump out of the way with the dissabled car still on the hook. This means jumping berms and bush bashing. I was actually very surprised how the Taco did though. Sure I drug skid, bumper, etc., but i never had an issue with power, even when I missed a shift going uphill with a car on the hook and one coming at 60mph. I actually had a driver tell me he was buying a Taco when he got back home because it was so impressive. I'd like to give some credit to my driving skills...

Anyway, It's definately a blast if you're interested. Even as a flagman you may get some rollovers or accidents in your corner. Your job then is to report it over the radio, run to the vehicles and make sure all racers are okay, then run back to the radio and report it, then ask for a retrieval if necessary. So it can be exciting no matter what you do.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i tivo'd the show... havent watched it yet
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
As of right now, it won't be aired again, but that could change, especially if enough people write Spike asking for it to be aired.

It was a "one-off" show that got packaged with the sale of another one, so SPIKE was obligated to air it. They unfortunately stuck it at a weird hour. I think they underestimated it, off road fans, and didn't know what they had. But another WAS ordered to be shot in 3D, and it will be airing on Epix (company owned by Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM) in the next four or five months.

Here's the trailer: http://www.race-dezert.com/home/road...ike-19509.html
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Dang Carcharius. You know more about it than I. Why aren't you the OP? Lol.

Nelson18Matt, think "Dust to Glory".
Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
It was good. RW is bettah!